Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: LightWave 3D® 2019.1 is Available Now

And some feedback on stability..I have been at it with VDB abd the gas solver for some hours now, and not a single crash so far..so (knock on wood) it seems much more stable finally.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yes..it was 100% native LW stuff without additional cost for any smoke & fire plugin.
    I bit late..but great to finally have it yet in a cradle state...I think I prefer to hope a development of this rather than TFD, it could mean a better tighter development in sync with LIghtwave itself..and it´s render engine.
    And a support where questions could be answered..which is not the case at jawset.
    TFD has also been highly unstable and crashing a lot through various Lightwave versions on my system, and appearently others have that issue as well.
    Now...Lightwave VDB tools has also been unstable..but I will judge it abit more in reference to it being very new implementations.

With a little more dedicated and much more hardwork, not leaving it as it is today...they may be able to push the VDB tools and gas solver to be a native fluid solution that could matche free blender fluids, but it´s a long way perhaps.
    The speed of simulation, and the openGL look needs improvements...after that, it needs to be wrapped in to a dedicated UI module rather that having to jump in to nodes for every tweak, that is what worries me about the development of Lightwave..I fear they do not implement the tools more than constructing them in to nodes ..and leave it at that, I think it would be a kill workflow that will not help sell Lightwave...so something must be addressed for the hole node concept and start wrapping the nodes in to UI elements that is easier to use.

I really like that you can drive the gas solver force affect with the velocity Only of the particles, and not the particles themself, I am actually not sure you could even do that with TFD ..other than actually use the particles for the fluid emission itself..and need to adjust particle size for that..not sure if that was the same, don´t think so.

Another thing..the VDB gas solver will let you render out the newer volumetrics unlike TFD which requires to convert to VDB first.
    But other than that, the fireshader is much easier to tweak in TFD than trying to get a good blackbody gradient going on with the new VDB tools.

If work is focused on this and if they can leverage the issues with speed, opengl presentation and wrap it in to a UI module as well...they will have put themself to compete against Houdini and blender for a native fire and smoke solution, not all General 3D software that has that.

Then there needs work with bullet and it´s forces, the same forces that pushes a bullet dynamic item, should affect both lw particles and push VDB gas solver as well to make the most of it.
    Thanks for the informative reply! I am amazed that this is in there. I watched one of the LW videos and the whole thing seems to be very node heavy as you say. But Wow!
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Newtek should really look at making it possible to create custom front ends for node networks. Make it possible to expose variables in the network in an external panel, so you never have to open it up and muck about. Couple that with an easy way to share these nicely packaged nodal setups and I think they would see an explosion of community created nodal “plugins” it could be really exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Newtek should really look at making it possible to create custom front ends for node networks. Make it possible to expose variables in the network in an external panel, so you never have to open it up and muck about. Couple that with an easy way to share these nicely packaged nodal setups and I think they would see an explosion of community created nodal “plugins” it could be really exciting.
    Houdini started with node networks mostly, then simplyfying it for user by making UI module tools around it, and even further putting those tool into a shelf to acess it easy.
    Lightwave feels a bit like they are working the other way around, having started with mostly UI window modules,implementing nodes...removing ui window modules and for some stuff now..only accessable tools that requires entering nodal network..they need to change a bit of direction or I will probably drop Lightwave in a future.

Houdini still has a lot to do..you always need to jump in to certain nodal networks for cloud noise, lighting, or other properties, but at least you can stand on a node and the window toolset is presented on top menus to tweak, so they are a bit easier to tweak that way..though a minus can be that values and sliders can feel slow to respond.

But currently ..Lightwave nodes is tolerable and some of the volumetric stuff is some of the easiest and fun to work with.

And for this latest release..still not a single crash after almost 24 hours, so that i promising, especially since I just couldn´t use 2019.1 without it crashing constantly many times within an hour.

Was trying out some simulation stuff for nebulas, but the speed needed and the resolution needed to do good quality, takes too much time in terms of simulation speed and rendering...I still prefer to just whack in the standard volumetric items, that is more tweakable.

I very much like lightwaves nodes. They are incredibly powerful and flexible in a way that panel interfaces aren’t. and I think newtek is correct to go all in in the nodal stuff, but nodes ARE cumbersome and Newtek really should do more to alleviate that or make it possible to obscure that behind a panel interface if desired. Just having easily accessible sliders to tweak values means either using nulls or setting up lightwave sliders, which isn’t always great, particularly if you plan on reusing a nodal network, because then you’ve got to set all that up again. if instead you could simply right-click any node input and chose “expose” which would add it to an easily accessible panel of sliders and pickers, it would be very helpful. You would still have the initial setup to deal with, but if future lightwave versions shipped with some good nodal presets it would probably make that less of an issue.

I very much like lightwaves nodes. They are incredibly powerful and flexible in a way that panel interfaces aren’t. and I think newtek is correct to go all in in the nodal stuff, but nodes ARE cumbersome and Newtek really should do more to alleviate that or make it possible to obscure that behind a panel interface if desired. Just having easily accessible sliders to tweak values means either using nulls or setting up lightwave sliders, which isn’t always great, particularly if you plan on reusing a nodal network, because then you’ve got to set all that up again. if instead you could simply right-click any node input and chose “expose” which would add it to an easily accessible panel of sliders and pickers, it would be very helpful. You would still have the initial setup to deal with, but if future lightwave versions shipped with some good nodal presets it would probably make that less of an issue.
    Well...we can see the loss of workflow speed in terms of going too much nodal, in reference to setting up a simpley hypertexture for the new volumetrics VS old legacy hypervoxels...almost everything in old hv was faster to setup..and we also had presets which now is gone.

Same with adding textures to a pbr material..quite a bit easier to setup with standard materials.

Just imagine how it would be if they removed add camera and the camera button in the bottom menu, you would have to dive in to nodes, locate the nodal camera, add it to nodes, plug it to an output, add additional nodes to control pitch banking etc..and th same for translation.

I think they had the old hypervoxels UI just fine and I would have prefered the old UI, but with an option to choos hv 3 or hv 4 etc..that would also give us users the options to switch and set up any of those systems much easier.
    If you wanted nodal for old hypervoxels ..just enter nodal editor and you are there, it wasn´t reuqired..it is now.

Generic interface controls should be standard functionality in Compound nodes.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678