Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D« 2019.1 is Available Now

I think I've got an annoying bug - ABF Unwrap is reporting back, "Can't Unwrap! Edges with >2 polygons found, press yes to select them."

The edges in question are on _another_ layer, one that's not even visible, foreground or background... I'll see if I can't come up with some content and report it.

Otherwise, I'm liking the 2019.1 update...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

"Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Start LW with the a parameter like

--ui_screen_scale_factors=2

(works well on a 4k display for me)

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...isplay-support
    I'm using --ui_screen_scale_factors=0.8;1.0

where my display #1 is 3840x2160 with a Win scaling factor of 150%, and display #2 is 1920x1080 @100%.

There are plenty of glitches when dragging windows between displays, but the experience on the primary display has been good.

Thanks for the Show OpenGL UI. As I've wrote before, this option is very useful when dealing with character animation and previews.

While experimenting with this 2019.1 feature in Quad viewport mode, I noted a few glitches:

1 - "Make Preview" to an External Window from the Camera View without VPR resulted in a preview that looked like an empty scene.

2 - When turning on VPR in all four viewports (Camera/Top/Right/Back), every change (move/rotate/zoom) in the Top/Right/Back viewport triggered VPR updates in all four viewports instead of updating only the modified viewport.

3 - "Make Preview" to an External Window from the Camera View with VPR, first triggered an unnecessary update of the four VPR viewports before starting the VPR preview rendering. What's worse: the rendered result looked like one of the first VPR render passes instead of the final VPR render quality.

I think the external preview window would be even more functional if it's modeless.
    So the preview could act more like a reference during refining of the shot.

Thanks anyway for the update.
    Seems like I should ditch Unity (it's getting too expensive) and start with Unreal.

Love the black or Dark Mode for Mojave on Mac, Modeler runs just fine but Layout crashes every time on exit, this means no saved configs making it impossible to set up, anyone else on a Mac in trouble or is it just me, (no third party installed, just vanilla, tried trashing configs but does nothing.

(Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4 , NMacPro 12 core LW 2019.1)

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    2 - When turning on VPR in all four viewports (Camera/Top/Right/Back), every change (move/rotate/zoom) in the Top/Right/Back viewport triggered VPR updates in all four viewports instead of updating only the modified viewport.
    Pretty sure this was the case with all versions of LW with VPR in it. It's a limitation I was told.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Well I don't want to go into product comparison but I find the sun / sky settings at least in two different 3rd party render engines (one for CPU and one for GPU) much easier to control with more detailed options and realistic result, even though both use the Hosek model (and offer additional ones like Preetham or CIE). But it's mostly the looks, it doesn't seem to look natural to me in LW. Probably has to do also with the fact that I'm not so familiar with the LW implementation.
    If you have the time Marander? and in the sake of the quest of reaching the best sky model..
    Could you take a screenshot on some of the other skymodels you find to be looking more natural?
    so I can see if that kind of looks is reachable with just a few tweakings in Lightwave physical model.
    I usually have a sense for finding the tweaks to get the looks I want.

One need to be aware of that the sky model only per backdrop introduces a sort of atmospheric behavior with turbidity, which otherwise takes place in a full 3Dimensional space with fog and haze layers, and these layers also reflects light anisotrophy/assymetry in the atmosphere and sun reacts to it based on such layers, that is something a backdrop can┤t portray.

Ogo taiki had fantastic lighting if set right, but it was hard to use and just too many options and tweakings needed to get going fast and accurately.

My hope is however that the Lightwave team would look in to some kind of volumetric enhancement..and sort of try getting a spectral color volumetric model in there, just adding the global scattering doesn┤t do it, it needs to be set with
    realistic physical attributes in terms of volumetric height in fog, density, depth and fog color etc, as well as some default settings that truly match how deep light rays are traveling in to the medium, that is.step 1.
    Step 2. would be to introduce infintite cloud layers..based on the same volumetric principles and items as we do have with the basic volumetric items today..which are not infinite.

Hard to compete against terragen and vue ..Their developers have been solely focusing on these things for many years.

Quality wise, Terragen has succeded the best in terms of light, shading and physical sky realism, While vue has succeded best with it┤s UI ..which is the easiest to use when swapping between light, sky, cloud tweakings.
    Agreed that the new physical sky could be a little better in UI and setting up, preferably upon adding physical sky, it should automaticly change lighttype to the new sunlight and also choose it as a source..rather than you need to do this everytime, the basis for that conclusion is that it is most likely you would want the most realistic setup configuration rather than using a standard light etc.
    If you do not want it by any exception, you can of course change it..but by default that should already be setup I think.

Dpont has a single script to set up all that in one go, but I would prefer it default...otherwise standard 3d software distinguish themself from being odd VS vue and terragen who doesn┤t act that way.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    If you have the time Marander? and in the sake of the quest of reaching the best sky model..
    Could you take a screenshot on some of the other skymodels you find to be looking more natural?
    so I can see if that kind of looks is reachable with just a few tweakings in Lightwave physical model...
    Hello Prometheus, yes I can do that but best in a separate thread. Maybe along with some test render of different sun / sky models and to open the discussion / learn how to do it best in LW.

Hello Prometheus, yes I can do that but best in a separate thread. Maybe along with some test render of different sun / sky models and to open the discussion / learn how to do it best in LW.
    You do that, I will engage once that thread is started..or if you post in already made clouds threads or similar.

One problem I still notice with Physical Sky is that it forgets all the settings when you restart. Like if I choose 6:47pm in Germany for my scene. Then restart Layout and want to make it darker or brighter everything has been set back to default so I have to remember myself what I used before.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    One problem I still notice with Physical Sky is that it forgets all the settings when you restart. Like if I choose 6:47pm in Germany for my scene. Then restart Layout and want to make it darker or brighter everything has been set back to default so I have to remember myself what I used before.
    Yes..maybe they could enhance that, meanwhile a txt doc in the scene is apropriete to document the time and location, there┤s not that many options.
    I feel the lack of not being able to use it with the the sunlight more troublesome.

Reminder: The Feedback Agent has a Feature Request option...
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You do that, I will engage once that thread is started..or if you post in already made clouds threads or similar.
    OK here you go: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...render-engines

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    News post here:
    http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/07/new...htwave-2019-1/
    Links to this thread. They missed the time limited (Aug 15) upgrade special of 395$ from any older version (assuming Amiga versions before 1995 are excluded, would be a world record update though, 25 year update steps are unique).
    I'm glad I upgraded when I did given the current p*** poor GBP to the USD exchange rate (thank you Brexit ).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Reminder: The Feedback Agent has a Feature Request option...

Reminder : need to implement feature requests

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast