Thread: Voronoi structure?

Question Voronoi structure?

Hello,

How would you start to create a Voronoi geometry structure inside a given mesh? The closer the effect to the attached examples, the better. I appreciate the author used multiple tools to achieve this. But where would you start in LW? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cube_voronoi_point_density_setting_torolf_sauermann_2013.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	145442

Name:	lawson_cube_voronoi_3d_2013_torolf_sauermann_math_art.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	145443

In this case I would use this freeware :

http://www.meshmixer.com/

Name:	VoronoiX.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	145444

Tutos :

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hmixer+voronoi
    Last edited by PeT; 07-15-2019 at 03:59 PM.

A tough one with modeling inside of modeler, you would need to have inside geometry connections, may be possible with edges and convert metaedges/balls, but the underlying structure is the tricky part if you want the look of inside nested geometry.
    May be possible with VDB tools and particles to extract a mesh ..doing holes in the inside etc.

Otherwise as PeT mentioned..better tools suited for that.

Hey PeT, nice to see you on this forum I'm still looking at rendering.de almost every day.

In LW there is some fracture tool to break up geometry. ODTools has something like "convert to 2pt polys", and after that metaedges maybe? Just a shot in the wild without having LW in front of me at the moment.
    Greetings, Shloime
    ----------------------------
    Win10 64, Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 980 ti, 32 GB, LW 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Shloime View Post
    Hey PeT, nice to see you on this forum I'm still looking at rendering.de almost every day ..
    Servus Schloime, gut, von dir zu hören,
    zuweilen weiss man gar nicht mehr, wer
    von den "alten" teutonischen LWavern da draussen noch am Ball ist ..

Last edited by PeT; 07-16-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shloime View Post
    Hey PeT, nice to see you on this forum I'm still looking at rendering.de almost every day.

In LW there is some fracture tool to break up geometry. ODTools has something like "convert to 2pt polys", and after that metaedges maybe? Just a shot in the wild without having LW in front of me at the moment.
    Could work, I havenīt tried fracture it and then using metaedges, but Ivé been using metaballs/edges a lot before with edges, it may not be necessary to use 2pt polys, you just select the edges (in edge mode) and copy them...then kill the polys with "k" and paste edges back, they are then processed for working with metaedges.

a simple flat box divided a few times, selected edges ..killed polys and pasted back the edges, using extender ( in poly mode on the edges) till I got a box version, then selected all edges again and copied, killed the polys, and pasted edges back, then created a sphere and pasted in background layer, used heatshrink to wrap it around that sphere.

now for metaballs, I recommend moving those buttons to itīs own tab or own buttons outside the more drop down list, you need to toogle metaballs and acess edit metaballs efficient instead of always using the drop down list.
    Also...editing metaballs is the same as editing metaedges, and if you have used edges for metaedges, you need to select the edges in poly mode and not in edge mode in order to edit them, itīs a bit confusing I know.

Outside of Lightwave ...blenders wire modifier may do it for the skinning of a proper structure, I think there are some other special tools dealing with similar things as well.

The sample below isnīt good enough in terms of voronoi styled gaps/connections, and connections should have thicker joints and thinner middle sections, a laplacian smoother modifier in blender would handle that well.

Name:	metaedges.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	145448

Name:	metaedges freezed.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	351.7 KB 
ID:	145449

Best would be if you instead of using metaedges, but still want to create base structure in lightwave, export as lwo or obj, and run the wireframe modifier in blender, perhaps use the tissue addon a couploe of times to generate a more voronoi conformed structure..then add a catmull clark subdiv modifier and increase value by two or three.

Topmod was also a free program for things like this, though it was a bit unstable..not sure about itīs status today.

image below..blender and running tissue dual mesh a couple of times, just on a simple cube object, now all good for doing it in Lightwave if it would have been easier, for that we would need a new
    metedges tool or skin or wireframe tool to match blenders tools which does this so much better than metaedges...One of the modeling enhancements we only can hope to see in future Lightwave, this example demonstrates

why it is needed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tissue and Wireframe.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	145450