Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU question

CPU question

...so, as I'm ramping up my Culture universe renders, I am considering building myself a render-only PC.

My computer is running an i7 Devil's Canyon, which is still kicking the required arse - when clocked to 4 x 4,4GHz I do the balls benchmark thingy in here at 1h17m (LW11)

I do not want to spend too much money on this, so I was wandering if anyone here can tell me: How good really is the Ryzen Threadripper CPUs, comparatively. I've read that they de-clock themselves when running under heavy load for extended periods of time, which kinda defeats the purpose - when I render my movies it takes weeks.

On paper, the Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper CPUs looks like twice the bang for half the bucks compared to the Intel ones - are they really that good? Keep in mind I'm talking about a PC build only for CPU rendering here, nothing else.

Thanks
    - Ignorance is bliss...

The Threadripper won't throttle back much if at all as long as you keep it cool enough just like other CPUs. Keep the ambient room air temp cool enough and have a well ventilated PC case. Also any powerfull CPU will exhaust heat making the ambient room temp rise over time which will then be taken back into the case and may cause the CPU to throttle back if not kept cool enough on really long renders.

I have never had my 2990WX throttle back below 3Ghz. It usually runs well above that on auto mode.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 07-15-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Just released AMD 3900x 12 core for 500$ beats Intels 7920x 12c at 1200$. In September the Ryzen 9 3950x 16 core is out for 750$ (killing intels 2000$ 16c/18c). Not Threadrippers, so slightly cheaper systems (mobo, memory). New Zen 2 Threadrippers are planned for Q3, up to 64 cores. Info:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605...aising-the-bar
    Render banchmarks:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605...sing-the-bar/9
    Last edited by Free4Ever; 07-16-2019 at 03:09 AM.

...hmm, yes the Ryzen 9 3900x and 3950x look interesting - much cheaper than the Threadrippers; are those that much better?

anyone got some LW render numbers?
    - Ignorance is bliss...

The new Zen 2 core in Ryzen 39x0x has about 2x the FPU performance, needed for rendering. Speculation warning: LW benchmarks should be close to the Corona benchmarks above (similar type of modern renderer)
    Scroll down to the FPU part, if you want the CPU tech specs of the improvement:

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-...ture-explained

Threadripper 2950-2990 uses the older Zen+ core, so if you have the time to wait for the release, Zen2 offers 2x perf/$.
    (Edit, Zen+ still offers more perf/$ over Intel and cheap 8 core Ryzen are dirt cheap now).
    Last edited by Free4Ever; 07-16-2019 at 02:26 PM.

I'm pretty sure I'll wait until fall and go for the 3950x - should reduce my render times to a third at least I recon

Anyone got a tip for a good GFX card for modelling that does not cost an arm and a leg?

Musing about an Nvidia Quadro P2000 5GB or AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100 8GB...
    Last edited by Amerelium; 07-17-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'll wait until fall and go for the 3950x - should reduce my render times to a third at least I recon

Anyone got a tip for a good GFX card for modelling that does not cost an arm and a leg?

Yes, it looks like the new Ryzen 9 3950x is the way to go now with much lower TDP than the Threadrippers. Just better more efficient design from what I can see.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Not necessairly a great deal of help in your search but I was recently looking to replace, though not necessarily upgrade, my LW PC. As I only have a tiny budget, I spent some time trawling through the secondhand/refurbished market on Amazon.co.uk and eBay. I lucked out by picking up an nVidia Quadro M4000 8GB card for £275 shipped. As an added bonus, the seller included a Dell Precision T5810 workstation with a Xeon E5-1620 V3 cpu, 16GB of DDR4 ECC RAM and a 1TB HD in the deal

My 'old' card is a Quadro K4000 3GB, so the replacement is a significant improvement and the CPU is also a small step up. Now I just need to add in some more RAM.
    Last edited by Qexit; 07-17-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

I've never tested one of those workstation GPUs - they improve the OpenGL preveiw performance a lot?

Or, should I just get a good Geforce card along with the 3950X? I recon that would boost performance in modeller quite a bit compared to the Radeon R290 I use now.

I DO game a bit as well.
    Last edited by Amerelium; 07-17-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

I've never tested one of those workstation GPUs - they improve the OpenGL preveiw performance a lot?

Or, should I just get a good Geforce card along with the 3950X? I recon that would boost performance in modeller quite a bit compared to the Radeon R290 I use now.

I DO game a bit as well.
    Quadro cards are not worth the extra you would pay for them if bought new. With LW, a good regular Geforce card is a better buy. The M4000 I picked up was a bargain but it is essentially only a Geforce 970 GTX with a different name, some extra memory/VRAM and a slower clock speed. It does output true 10-bit and the drivers should be more stable than a regular Geforce but that's about it. LW doesn't need a Quadro. I only mentioned what I was able to pick up as a way of pointing out that if you have a limited budget, it is possible to get reasonable equipment at affordable prices. However, you also take a risk with secondhand products less so with refurbished as they should have a warranty.
    Kevin F Stubbs

RTX 2060 Super with 8GB of RAM, the cheapest of the latest gen nvidia GPUs. Overkill for LW, but supports many features for other 3D apps/plugins and gaming.

Congrats Kevin, I never find any good deal on ebay on decent used HP workstations. Maybe there are more Dell deals... Still the 3950x is hard to beat for perf/$.

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Quadro cards are not worth the extra you would pay for them if bought new. With LW, a good regular Geforce card is a better buy. The M4000 I picked up was a bargain but it is essentially only a Geforce 970 GTX with a different name, some extra memory/VRAM and a slower clock speed. It does output true 10-bit and the drivers should be more stable than a regular Geforce but that's about it. LW doesn't need a Quadro. I only mentioned what I was able to pick up as a way of pointing out that if you have a limited budget, it is possible to get reasonable equipment at affordable prices. However, you also take a risk with secondhand products less so with refurbished as they should have a warranty.
    No I never buy second hand. I'm looking for better OpenGL performance mainly because my Sleeper model has passed 20m polygons and it is real sludgy in modeler now.

I recon I'll get one of the 8 GB GeForce cards then, along with the 3950X
    - Ignorance is bliss...

- Ignorance is bliss...

That should do the job nicely
    Kevin F Stubbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast