Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: two newbie questions

As a relatively new LW user, I think OD tools is good to get familiar with early on versus later on. It will deepen your understanding of how things work and how they can work faster. One of the features I especially like is the App Link to 3D Coat. That has saved me a lot of headaches alone. I also like that you can directly access the Discord channel and if you have a question about a tool or how to do something faster, you will get an answer there. It is a little overwhelming at first because there is so much the tool set offers, but I think it is worth it. That's where the Discord channel comes in because if you want to know how to do something, you can ask there and they can tell you if there is a tool for that. Having OD tools is like this:
    You have your own LW workshop where you are working on things, cursing, and getting frustrated, and trying to figure out how to do something, but instead go to your neighbor's workshop (OD Tools Discord channel) and ask if there's a tool to help you, and then they will tell you. And so yes, OD Tools is your friend when you need it.

@gdkeast Thank you for your detailed Explanation. I buyed ODtools, and getting a Vimeo Link to more than 200 Videos. Unbelievable:-) Thatīs enough for the next two years:-)

best regards

kievi

Quote Originally Posted by kievi View Post
    Hi,
    at first, iīm sorry for my english. If other kids are in school, i played games on my amiga. But i hope you understand what iīm writing. :-)

iīm a newbie in lightwave. Iīm started with 3D for some years. Modelling with Shade3D, and rendering with DAZ Studio. And i hope, lightwave is the next step in 3d. But iīm only a little hobbiest.

I have two questions.

1.) I read often from the ODtools. Do you think it is better to learn lightwave basics, and then the Odtools, or itīs better to start directly with this plugin.

2.) There are a long list with plugins in lightwave. And with some downloads, the list is getting longer. Do you have a tip to manage the plugins? Or is there a Plugin to manage this? :-)

Iīm happy to be here:-)

best regards from cologne / Germany

kievi
    I would strongly encourage you to grab LWBRUSH. http://www.3rdpowers.com/ It dynamically revolutionizes modeler to the extent that working without it, at least for me, is unthinkable.

I've never tried the ODTOOLS set so I can't comment on those plugins but all of the 3rd Powers Plugins are exceptional. After LWBRUSH, I'd go for Meta Mesh and, depending on your needs, 3D Sticker. They both dramatically speed things up.

I concur for me LWCad and 3DPowers are the only reason i still use LW Modeler. Well and also Bevel ++
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Hi again:-)
    learning by doing is my Concept. And there are so many things to learn. The Video for LWBrush look amazing, but i think, itīs more a sculpting tool ?!? Sculpting or every art of character design itīs not my...iīm an Environment Boy:-)

My first Impression of ODtools is only positiv. Easy to install and great Video tutorials.

LWCAD looks amazing too but itīs for the future. I have so many Things to learn. And i never do anything in CAD.
    But the bevel++ looks like a plug in for me. :-)

Thank you very much for your time, to comment @glw, @JohnMarchant

kievi

Don’t pigeon-hole LWCad as a ‘Cad’ plugin, for only making buildings.
    That is just the name, you would find yourself using the tools on a daily basis, whatever your modelling.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

A popular misconception about LWCad, its great for cad but its just a better modeling tool in LW for all sorts. Nurbs being just one of them. For me its hands down the best 3rd party modeling plugin for LW, followed closely by 3DPowers.

Once you get to grips with LWCad you wont use native much again.

Bevel ++ https://www.tdate.org
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Ok, thank youfor explain. Since I have shown you very clearly how much I have idea of CAD. There was no idea.:-)
    I'm starting to save money for LWcad. :-)

kievi

I would check out Viktors (LWCAD) videos on the WTools website and also YT to see if its what you need.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

yessssss:-)

Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Some things may sort of be essential when native modeler lacks things I consider is a must for a basic modeling toolset, and itīs things like rounding flat poly edges or points..
    Now you would think rounder can do this, but No..it canīt, you either have to invest in LW cad which would be great for things like that apart from it being good in many other areas..but you shouldnīt really for simple things like that have to invest in LW cad to compensate for the basic lacking functions of native Lightwave modeler.

So one tool that is available free is true fillet from Sensei, works with 64 bit 2019 lightwave, and while your at it..check all other stuff he has as well including the commercial stuff...

http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Dire...Ins/TrueFillet
    http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Dire...ducts/Plug-Ins

I would also recommend many pictrix plugins, but many of those can be hard to find nowadays.

3rd Powers does have some top notch plug-ins! It does make me wonder if the tools they offer wouldn't some day be included natively. I try my best to support all the 3rd party developers, especially those who are keeping up to speed with LW. I'm past spending on plug-ins what LW cost and that's why I see it more as base platform to a large extent.
    Last edited by gdkeast; 07-15-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12