Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Alan McKay tutorials Thanos Endgame VFX Tutorial (3ds max tyFlow & Phoenix FD)

Free Alan McKay tutorials Thanos Endgame VFX Tutorial (3ds max tyFlow & Phoenix FD)

Alan McKay is at it again with decimation training (if you have seen his God Of War effects)
    This time with a new character etc..

Check introduction here...

Sign up here...Itīs free and you can download videos and assets, scenefiles and included a thanos model...
    https://avengerscourse.com/

It is focused around 3dmax/Tyflow/and phoenix FD

Even though many of you may not be able to follow it through due to lack of not having the right software, much of it may be applicable with other 3D tools, McKay even mentions TurbulenceFD, though that is a bit vague since it can work as a plugin to connect to other particle sources you may not be able to do in the same manner in Lightwave.

I havenīt seen them yet, but are downloading it, Remember they are not up there always, they are only available til july 21st.

Top Dog
    This looks cool. Thanks for sharing!

Just downloaded scene files. and imported Alembic file into Lightwave 2019.0.3 but can't get any animation to run from the file?
    anybody else tried this yet?

The static scene imports ok but Thanos should be animating
    "one rig to rule them all"
    PC Spec: Intel i7 X980 3.33GHz | 24Gb | ATI FirePro V5800 | W7
    https://vimeo.com/kevbarnes/showreel
    https://littlstar.com/kevbarnes
    https://www.talenthouse.com/kevbarnes

Just wondering when I will get the scene and object files. I just subscribed to the course today.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Just wondering when I will get the scene and object files. I just subscribed to the course today.
    Hi JamesCurtis When you get the first email from Alan click on link to Video 1 scroll down page and you'll find the download links to the assets.
    subsequent emails to video 2, 3 etc have download links to assets for that video stage.
    "one rig to rule them all"
    PC Spec: Intel i7 X980 3.33GHz | 24Gb | ATI FirePro V5800 | W7
    https://vimeo.com/kevbarnes/showreel
    https://littlstar.com/kevbarnes
    https://www.talenthouse.com/kevbarnes

His tutorials are REALLY REALLY good. Bought his FumeFX course a few years back, and although he talks a lot... (which I don't personally mind) he really gives an incredible insight into proper production techniques and output.

Not tried loading them into LW yet, but will do when I get a chance.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    His tutorials are REALLY REALLY good. Bought his FumeFX course a few years back, and although he talks a lot... (which I don't personally mind) he really gives an incredible insight into proper production techniques and output.

Not tried loading them into LW yet, but will do when I get a chance.
    If you do not have 3dmax, the question rises wether or not you can get full value of following it through? or only certain aspects of it, general principles and how much that can be of use when using
    Lightwave for instance.

I do not have 3dmax, nor access to it, nor a real desire to get some kind of 3dmax copy in order to follow the tutes either.

Ps I noticed Allan also has a bonus video called "thor Lightning or something like that" but One needs to click on a share button through facebook in order to gain acess to that vid, unfortunately that stops me from getting it
    since I do not have a facebook account, not sure if itīs worth it to just register some kind of facebook account to get the vid, me sharing it there wonīt help spreading the tutes for Allanīs account.

I wrote to him and wondered why he couldnīt have included a linkedin share..as he has with other tutorials and described my issue with facebook, but no answer so far..guess he has thousands of users mailing him though,
    I also wrote that I made this fuzz about the training here in the Newtek forums.

I'd say, if you don't know 3ds Max, you can still watch his tutorials and marvel at true production techniques.

It's interesting still, especially his organisational techniques, and how he mentions tricks with working in a team, locking cameras so other team members don't accidentally nudge a camera... as an example.
    I find it interesting from the point of view of how simple the scenes can be, yet they look awesome. He has an eye for the amazing shots, with minimal effort, and it's generally good stuff to learn and see.

In one of his older videos, from a few years back, he showed a fireball from the Halo trailer that he worked on. I was amazed how cut-down the scene was, how very little was actually left in the scene for him to simulate the fireballs. It was literally just boxes and the final camera move... but it was refreshing to see the simplicity.

I've not seen his thunderbolt video, but I only have a Facebook account for 3d stuff really. I don't use it for much else, maybe it's worth having one for that kind of thing. The LW community is very active on Facebook, and think that's why this place is sooooo quiet.
    Last edited by lardbros; 07-19-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    I'd say, if you don't know 3ds Max, you can still watch his tutorials and marvel at true production techniques.

It's interesting still, especially his organisational techniques, and how he mentions tricks with working in a team, locking cameras so other team members don't accidentally nudge a camera... as an example.
    I find it interesting from the point of view of how simple the scenes can be, yet they look awesome. He has an eye for the amazing shots, with minimal effort, and it's generally good stuff to learn and see.

In one of his older videos, from a few years back, he showed a fireball from the Halo trailer that he worked on. I was amazed how cut-down the scene was, how very little was actually left in the scene for him to simulate the fireballs. It was literally just boxes and the final camera move... but it was refreshing to see the simplicity.

I've not seen his thunderbolt video, but I only have a Facebook account for 3d stuff really. I don't use it for much else, maybe it's worth having one for that kind of thing. The LW community is very active on Facebook, and think that's why this place is sooooo quiet.
    Well..I loath facebook, donīt have an account, so anything from me will not show up there unless someone makes a Lw forum steal and post, and vice versa..I will miss out on stuff there.

Just donīt understand why Alan for the Thor video restricted the share options with facebook, when he otherwise for other videos also has a share with linkedin, which I in such case actually could use, he is expecting and demanding a serious guys to have and use facebook...what can you do.

Donīt think he has posted all links to all vids in this series yet, heīs a busy man now trying to finish before deadline, but it is awesome that he is sharing so much in depth, you really have to commit to follow it through with passion and time to make the most of it though....not all that has that stamina and will..or desire to do that though, me included perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbarnes View Post
    Just downloaded scene files. and imported Alembic file into Lightwave 2019.0.3 but can't get any animation to run from the file?
    anybody else tried this yet?

The static scene imports ok but Thanos should be animating
    I found that if you load the file into Blender and then export Alembic LW will see the animation. It will come in to LW 2018 right side up except for the camera which is upside down.

facebook
    i'm banned. used a pseudonym, they weren't happy about that.

i cried that day... (hear the irony)

-----

back to topic, thanks for the link!  

saved.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I missed the deadline for getting video 10. I got email notifying me only about 8 hours before evidently.

Any help or suggestions?

Frequenter
    you could try this link and sign up there. Video10 is esentially the second part of the Portal tutorial:
    https://avengerscourse.com/doctorstrange-frontpage/

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    I missed the deadline for getting video 10. I got email notifying me only about 8 hours before evidently.

Any help or suggestions?
    Yes..same here, I missed it too..and I honestly donīt care to bother, I think he was short on time himself and made the last videos on rush, and didnīt bother on changing expire date..which I think was a bit bad of him, Desptite the fact we should be praising him for sharing much of it for free.

It just means that I kind of loose interest on gathering the material to go through, it.
    Of course he drives this as a different way of finallly getting income from it with payed full courses in the mentorship program, that is something I wonīt jump in to when I do not work with his dedicated software, neither do I really aspire to reach that level or work in the industry ..over there at least.

I think the program he is providing may be absolute awesome for the younger generation though.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    you could try this link and sign up there. Video10 is esentially the second part of the Portal tutorial:
    https://avengerscourse.com/doctorstrange-frontpage/
    Really, why would he mess with the sections like that, and include it in the decemation training instead of just point to that tutorial? we.. that is something you may not know but curious to know, and that sign up was for free I think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast