Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: animating smoke leaking in from behind a door

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Very interesting indeed, always liked to see your tinkerings. Off topic did you do any more cloud tests with the new 2019
    Quite a bit..at least with volumetric items, doing godrays with the new sunlight and global scattering, and to get feathering ala cirrus from one single volumetric item...But yet maintaining fuller volumetric clouds at the same time and with the same item.

and simulate blender cirrus cloud and import to lightwave as vdb, based on the texture noise in blender for fluid density distribution, though I found it easier to do just that kind of sims in turbulenceFD and Lightwave procedurals.

But simulating clouds from VD? some initial stuff, but I am still doing R&D on that..a bit frustrating that the VDB sims are slow..so that kind of prevents me from investing to much time with that.
    The setting up of godrays based on the new sunligth and volumetric distance is a bit difficult, starting to get some hang of it though.
    Might post some sample images on google photos later tonight, but itīs mostly some tests.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Quite a bit..at least with volumetric items, doing godrays with the new sunlight and global scattering, and to get feathering ala cirrus from one single volumetric item...But yet maintaining fuller volumetric clouds at the same time and with the same item.

and simulate blender cirrus cloud and import to lightwave as vdb, based on the texture noise in blender for fluid density distribution, though I found it easier to do just that kind of sims in turbulenceFD and Lightwave procedurals.

But simulating clouds from VD? some initial stuff, but I am still doing R&D on that..a bit frustrating that the VDB sims are slow..so that kind of prevents me from investing to much time with that.
    The setting up of godrays based on the new sunligth and volumetric distance is a bit difficult, starting to get some hang of it though.
    Might post some sample images on google photos later tonight, but itīs mostly some tests.
    It's early days, but a welcome addition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2019Cloud.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	145416

Nice XswampyX
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    It's early days, but a welcome addition.

Name:	LW2019Cloud.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	145416
    Thatīs not clouds, that is Lightwave on fire and smoke

By the way XswampyX have you been able to produce a good blackbody radiator for the VDB inside of nodes?
    Been messing a couple of hours now with the VDB, not satisfied yet, and still have to figure out the proper method of applying it.
    As from what I can see, you just canīt feed a temp grid output in to the blackbody radiator, but it may be that the value set in the gas solver temp..indeed affect the blackbody radiator though that one is just connected to the emission color, I would have to run more test with different temp settings in gas solver in such case.

Sure is way easier to tweak the fire shading in TurbulenceFD and in Blender.

I also thought it was easier to set up this blackbody radiator with particles only than now with VDB gas solver.
    I donīt think things like this is covered in any docs yet?
    Image...blackbody is utilizing particle age, and the vdb gas force is taken use of the particles velocity only..and not for voxel size, that is all done by the mesh itself.

Name:	blackbody.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	145417

I must add..the setup I did above was experimental, after reviewing animated result and using particle age for fire blackbody, I can see that is not a very good approach..or at least it is hard to control the particle age fade since we do not have a gradient for it, maybe plugin the particle age in ot a gradient input, the blackbody must be able to use the gas solvers temp channels somehow.

Stupid me...One needs to use the cached files, and the vdb info of course and feed those in to proper slots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123