Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: animating smoke leaking in from behind a door

animating smoke leaking in from behind a door

Need some suggestions. I'd like to create a openvdb smoke simulation of smoke leaking out of the cracks around the top edge of a closed door. I need to bring the sim into Keyshow when done. I've never done anything like this before so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Heim View Post
    Need some suggestions. I'd like to create a openvdb smoke simulation of smoke leaking out of the cracks around the top edge of a closed door. I need to bring the sim into Keyshow when done. I've never done anything like this before so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne
    If it is a necessity to learn the VDB tools in lightwave..ok, but be aware, the Gas solver and vdb tools are slow to simulate and hard to get visual feedback in openGL, as well as to direct smoke flow and collisions etc.
    Otherwise I would advise to do it in blender, select your smoke flow object, hit spacebar and write quicksmoke..Tada you got a smoke going on, place your wall and door in the scene and make that a smoke object/collision object.
    change cache from point to vdb, load the vdb files in to keyshot and see if that works.

Didnīt know keyshot (not keyshow right?) had vdb, but checked it just recently..though the rendering seems slow, either the presenter is showcasing it badly, or having a slow computer.

Have a look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VDB_Doorway.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	145387

You will want to fiddle around with it and then save it out, before you incorporate it into your final scene.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    Have a look.

You will want to fiddle around with it and then save it out, before you incorporate it into your final scene.
    Thanks! I'll take a look.

Wayne

I created a basic smoke sim in Blender but now I can't figure out how to export it so I can import it into Keyshot.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Heim View Post
    I created a basic smoke sim in Blender but now I can't figure out how to export it so I can import it into Keyshot.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne
    You donīt really export, you simply make sure the smoke sim is cached properly, go to the domain object physics tab, a bit down in the tab list..you have smoke flames/smoke high resolution/smoke groups..then follows smoke cache, I think by default the cache file format is set to point cache, you can change that to openvdb in the drop down list there, then click on external and you will have a file path to enter..click on that folder to set your folder where to save the vdbīs
    click on play to run the simulation properly to vdb.

those vdb files can then be located within Lightwave vdb and loading it from that file path to a vdb item.
    I do not know how keyshot imports VDB, nor if it actually would work in keyshot, but if it can read VDB you should be able to try and hopefully it works.
    Each VDB file represent a frame in blender, you can load single frame in Lightwave like for clouds, or load the whole sequence, it should be enough to load the first or second vdb file in Lightwave and it should automaticly read in the others.

Have a look.

Thanks, for sharing XswampyX, you often do jump in with samples for everyone.

Though the VDB tools and now natively ways of doing some crude fluid smoke and fire stuff, I think it needs to be improved on quite a bit more very soon, itīs just to darn slow to simulate, and the OpenGL tick representation is just to bad to be of any
    good use really ..other than just get a crude visual feedback on that it is there and simulating sort of.
    If the Lw team can provide a visual voxel representation in OpenGL ala blender, and improve the speed 4-5 times maybe, then itīs a matter of wrapping all the node works in to a UI framework and further on add some more turbulent settings for the smoke etc.

Have a look.

For some reason XswampyX your file crashes on my computer. LW 2019.0.3. Ive tried loading just the model in modeler and resaving it but 4 times the LWS file just crashes LW.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    For some reason XswampyX your file crashes on my computer. LW 2019.0.3. Ive tried loading just the model in modeler and resaving it but 4 times the LWS file just crashes LW.
    is it upon loading it crashes, or if you click on play or use VPR?
    it works for me without crashing, but at other times working with VDB, it can crash often..feels a bit unstable at times.

This is on loading, cannot even get it to load in.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Frequenter
    just tried here - only now downloaded it and without really having a clue whats going on in the nodes, though - but all behaves quite nicely...
    2019.0.3 on Win7 SP1

Maybe its a windows 10 thing, who knows.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Frequenter
    I have a Win10 Enterprise build 1809 (Build 1903 did not behave well - mostly with other apps, not really tested with LW - so I decided to downgrade after a day already...) Threadripper 1950 System at work, but wonīt be back in before tuesday :-\

p.s.
    using Win10 for 7 month now - on a regular basis (worksdays, that is...) but still donīt like it much... besides compatibilty needs (to get certain apps running at all) I do not see much benefit over what Win7 offered.. I am not really a gamer, though... YMMV...

Yes, i agree not a fan of Windows 10, however, they decided to upgrade before the loss of Win 7 support so not much i can do about it. I think Windows 10 is also what is blocking some permissions on LW and also the hub periodically. If i run modeler first the hub does not start in most cases, however, if i run Layout, then close it down and then run modeler the hub then stays. Im also fairly sure its how LW also installs itself, not where or anything but how it sets its permissions and such when installing.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Strange?

I'm using window Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Here it is again with the frame set to 0 and the smoke (null) object properties use node tick-box un-ticked.

See if that works?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast