Thread: CPU usage Critical.System currently using 90.9 % CPU

CPU usage Critical.System currently using 90.9 % CPU

Hi all,

When I recently exported a video from my TriCaster Mini (Advanced Edition) to a hard drive plugged into a USB3 port and I got the following message:

"CPU usage Critical.System currently using 90.9 % CPU"

What does this mean? It doesn't sound good.

The last video we recorded, has skipped frames in it, and I'm wondering if it's related to this issue. Is there something I should do to the TriCaster?

Thanks!

Daniel

Were you exporting while switching/recording?

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Were you exporting while switching/recording?
    No, nothing else was going on. When I do record, then I have other issues (which might be related?) where it recently started saying "Record Warning drive may not be fast enough"

So I tried defragging the hard drive and that didn't seem to fix it.

Then I ran some updates - and now it's even worse. When I open up the project most of the screen stays black - see the picture attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TriCaster Screen.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	145402

I can still move the mouse and macros work, but I can't access any menus or click anywhere with it all black ... Any suggestions?

Daniel

Try a new session and see if it opens up correctly.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Try a new session and see if it opens up correctly.
    I tried a new session and it was also mostly black, but the keyboard shortcuts still worked and I could move the mouse around. I tried randomly clicking around where buttons should be, and the screen items appeared. I went back into my main session, and the same thing happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Sw...ature=youtu.be

Every time I exit and return to the sessions it's the same thing as the video above.

So I've got three issues, that I think are all connected: (1) most of the screen black when opening a session, (2) skipping sections while recording and saying "Record Warning drive may not be fast enough" and (3) while transferring files the "CPU usage Critical.System currently using 90.9 % CPU" message

Someone recommended I try downloading and installing just the latest software by itself. I tried to do it and I got error messages. See the video below.

https://youtu.be/AYOExaPkyxs

This TriCaster is really having issues. Is there a way I could reinstall the software and start over?

Thanks,

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Appelt View Post
    This TriCaster is really having issues. Is there a way I could reinstall the software and start over?
    That's what the TriCaster Restore feature is for. It's in the docs, but someone will probably jump in an explain it. I just wanted to mention that, when you wrote "Then I ran some updates - and now it's even worse", I was hoping you meant 'TriCaster updates', as opposed to something else.

Also, If a Restore followed by updating again doesn't solve this, I'm starting to wonder whether you might have some sort of overheating condition going on. Probably not, but a thing to keep in mind if all else fails.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    That's what the TriCaster Restore feature is for. It's in the docs, but someone will probably jump in an explain it. I just wanted to mention that, when you wrote "Then I ran some updates - and now it's even worse", I was hoping you meant 'TriCaster updates', as opposed to something else.

Also, If a Restore followed by updating again doesn't solve this, I'm starting to wonder whether you might have some sort of overheating condition going on. Probably not, but a thing to keep in mind if all else fails.

Yes I meant TriCaster updates - but I wonder if I goofed it up when doing it. You see, when I clicked update, nothing happened. So I clicked it several more times before a window popped up. Then I went through the boxes (agreeing to terms, waiting for it to install, etc) several different times. It's been awhile since I'd done any updates, so I thought it might be just updating several different things. But all the windows looked the same (I should have paid more attention to what they were), so now I'm wondering if I could have messed it up by somehow installing multiple copies of the same updates? Could that even be a thing?

Thanks for the tips for the Resore feature - I'll see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelt View Post
    Could that even be a thing?
    I think it could.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

So, today I tried to restore the TriCaster. I did a “Restore system partition to factory default.”

But then when I tried to update, it was a box asking for the registration code. When I tried to go through the steps, it said it was already registered. When I entered the registration number I had previously, it would just close the box not update anything. When I clicked update again, it would just ask for the registration again.

So I did the "Restore system partition to factory default" again. And now when I click on update, I get a "This page does not exist" error message, that says the same thing in a bunch of languages.

Also, when I log onto a session, a box pops up with the message “HDBASE. Load capacity is not set to 6 pf, resetting manually” with the options to either reset, abort, or ignore.

Hope I didn’t make things worse...

Daniel

I think you need to have a long talk with Customer Services.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I started talking with support yesterday and they opened up a ticket, but I thought I'd keep updating the progress here. I'll let you know if we get the problem resolved. Thanks for your help.

same problem here, I received the same message all the time but the videos that export dont have any problem.

Tricaster is the best thing that i've used since I played with my atari
    Gear Used:
    Tricaster: All 3Play:440
    Cam: JVC GY-HM600, GY-HM150U
    Facebook
    Twitter