Thread: External Storage

External Storage

Hi,

I am trying to find a solution for external storage for my iso recordings on my Tricaster Mini AE3. I have tried 2 x USB 3 Lacie drives but that didn't work as the USB bus can't cope with 4 recordings. I do have a seperate laptop connected to my setup Thunderbolt 3 and VMix 4k but this is causing NDI issues which have a knockback effect on the Live production.

Is it possible to record the 4 outputs and also the mp4 onto a Gigabit NAS drive and if so any recommends and tips to avoid network issues there as well.

Any advice or experience would be very welcome.

I have a MINI (HDMI) and I have done a few different things. I have saved ISO recordings over to a 2 TB G-Technolgy G Drive. I also use this drive to do 2 replay angles over USB3.

You can also record all your ISO angles on the Tricaster then you can also take a master output and send it to an external MP4 recorder. They make them for both HDMI and SDI but the HDMI ones are much cheaper (around $100). If you have an SDI MINI just convert one output to HDMI.

Lastly you can use software to record one of you recordings over NDI. Just assign an input as an output, then pull that up in any recording software that can support NDI like studio monitor, VMIX, OBS etc. Not sure if you just need these as a backup or replay but this option would not work for replay only for archiving.

Splitting the recordings has worked for me in the past but I think there is a limit to how many drives you can split them in.

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of using a cheap HDMI recorder as a standalone H.264 encoder so I don't use up CPU processor power. I have done a brief search but I haven't found any that recorder over the 2Gb FAT32 limit, do you know of any that record onto NTFS formatted sticks? My recordings are between 2 and 4 hours long so that is between 5 and 10Gb at 6Mbits/sec and more for higher bitrates.

How many recordings from your Mini do you do onto the G-Drive. I have 2 Lacie USB 3 drives and I haven't been able to record 4 ISO's onto them either on their own or splitting it over 2 recordings. The advice I have received on this forum is that the USB Bus can't handle the transfer speeds needed for 4 recordings. I have tried to record on a seperate Laptop running VMix a recording via NDI but that has caused issues as well with freezing and frameholds on my Tricaster.

Try searching HDMI recorder standalone capture on Amazon and you will find plenty. You may need to adjust some settings to get the recording to do exactly what you want. There are some more professional recorders out there both HDMI and SDI that get a bit pricey but have more options. They typically include a build in monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+reco...b_sb_ss_i_3_13

As far a drives go, Newtek recommends only recording 2 ISO recordings on to a USB3 drive. Most importantly is have to be a specific drive. Jeff on the forum has some post you can search to but I know the Drive has to have a write speed of 7200. That is why I recommend the G Technology drive. You wont have much luck with just any drive. I have the cheaper MINI and I send 2 ISO records to the internal and 2 ISO to the external. I do replays from all 4. I use and external also for my master records which are also backed up online through my CDN.

I've had excellent experience with the Atomos devices. And ok experiences with Blackmagic recorders. But, they are both substantially more expensive than the ones shown via that link. However, they are both professional level products and, like the old Timex watch slogan, "Take a licking but keep on ticking".

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications