Thread: Instance Sleuthing

Instance Sleuthing

I'm revisiting a scene that I had to put on hold when I started adding instances & hitting memory limits. Originally started in 2018 but now working on it with 2019.03.

I came to this angle and noticed my severely floating tumble weeds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floating TumbleWeeds.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	753.4 KB 
ID:	145344

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WireView.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	145345

Started looking for Black colored items in the Scene Editor & there were none. Hmmm. I go to my source Tumbleweed then & there are no instance generators attached. I start checking all the other items and none of them have generators attached either. Yet I have instances. Lots of them. If I disable Render Instances, they disappear. So I have instances but no way to access or edit them.

How might I resolve this? I mean, how do you remove something that's not there to clear?

Thanx.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Delete 50% of your scene content. Watch the result.
    Keep deleting 50% until something disappears, to find the items you need to inspect.

Oh, I really hope your not a surgeon in your day job vncnt

However, deleting the primary, obvious tumble weed did in fact remove the instances, but that doesn't exactly resolve the issue. The originals that were working used weight map distribution, etc. & I'm loosing all of that.

'Spose I'm going to have to fire up the old system & look at all that info in 2018 & take copious notes. Or install 2018 on new system & do the same.

Or hope someone has an actual solution.

Without a cause there is no way to find a solution.

I admit it is a bit radical but it helps to isolate the problem in an emergency situation.
    Especially in an extensive scene.

There is no Undo button on my scalpel so don't forget to save your scene to a temp file name,
    or the patient dies in a horrible way ...

LWS files are text, which can be edited in a text editor such as Notepad. Open the LWS file, search forward for "Instancer" and once found, search backwards for "LoadObject", which will be the object on which the Instancer is applied.

If you don't find "Instancer" in the LWS file, perhaps you used HurleyWorks Advanced Placement or some other "utility" to generate the instances.

Good luck!
    mTp

Once again you came to the rescue MonroePeet. That got me to the actual object where the instancing was applied. It's been a year & 1/2 since I worked on the scene so some lapses in recall.

So I've got the tumble weeds back on terra firma now. One oddity is that the Objects Properties isn't indicating how many instances for all items yet the Instance Generator Panel does and that seems to actually reflect what is showing in the scene. I seem to recall this being an issue back with 2018 too.

Glad it worked for you! Yes, sometimes I load old scene files and objects (especially surfaces) and think "how in the world did I do this?" Editing the scene file is sometimes the only way I've found out. What would be nice is to have a utility which reads the LWS file and constructs an "Entity Relationship Diagram" like the Schematic view, but containing *ALL* Textures, Images, Envelopes, Expressions, plug-ins, motion files, MDD files, and so forth. A full disection of the LWS file in graphical form!

mTp

I've had that thought too -- about how useful it would be to have a scene dependency graph that shows all of the inter-dependencies. LW can be very opaque in that regard.

That's kinda where I started as I was sure there was an OD Tool for that sort of thing. Couldn't find one if there was.

I was also sort of thinking jokingly, and then decided it wasn't such a bad idea, that someone should develop a Universal Cortana that all software vendors could license & have the specifics to their product in a database.

There's OD Item Connections and Image Connections that will help you out in those cases.
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

This LScript "ThisScene2TextEditor.js" will open the current scene in Notepad: ThisScene2TextEditor.zip

I assigned it to keyboard shortcut: Alt + e

Edit the script yourself to use a different text editor.