Thread: Experiencing intermittent Modeler crashes while working in Layout

Experiencing intermittent Modeler crashes while working in Layout

Today, I've had 3 experiences of Modeler simply disappearing -- I mean just *poof* - gone, while sitting in the background as I am working in Layout. The two are Hub-connected, and the object in Modeler is being referenced in Layout, but is not modified in in either.

No crash report is being generated.

I think I experienced this a few times before, but thought, oh, maybe I closed it.

Anybody else have this experience recently?

Windows 10, all updates applied, LW 2019.0.3 (build 3117) (Win64) 13-Mar-2019

Hub/Windows 10 Problem.

Hi,

Ive noticed something similar as well, well along the same lines.

As you can see from the image, modeler is running and you can see from the tray that hub is also running (Right Arrow). However, the launch Layout button is greyed out (left arrow), indicating that hub is not running.

I suspect this is a windows permissions thing because i have noticed that hub will intermittently stop running sometimes.

If you have not bug reported it i would do so because ive seen this a few times and i think others have reported it, but as i said i suspect its mostly windows at fault, but maybe its the way LW has been installed that windows does not like.

Im on the latest version of windows as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hub.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	838.4 KB 
ID:	145340  
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

I have been seeing this same thing. I am on a Mac. Sometimes working in Layout I get the message that Modeler has unexpectedly quit. I reported as a bug ((Case LWB-5165) Modeler crashes when in the background). But I have not found a consistent way to make it happen so it is hard for the developers to diagnose.

Thanks for the feedback John and Joe. I have not yet reported it as I was hoping to understand it better first.
    I also suspect the Hub. If we're experiencing the same problem, the fact that it appears to be "cross platform" is very useful info.

I want to try to note whether it matters how Layout and/or Modeler are launched, i.e. one started the regular app start way, the other via F12, both started independently, etc. My scenario recently has been to start Layout and F12 to bring up Modeler as I've been inspecting a bunch of scenes from "Essential LightWave v9", doing some archeology work into the Legacy FX stuff...

It just seems awfully strange that Modeler dies so silently. It happened to me again last night and I had purposefully made sure the content in Modeler had been modified and unsaved. So potential data loss.

I've confirmed that all of Layout, Modeler, Hub are running from the same version/installation.

-Tom
    Last edited by tburbage; 06-29-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Well so its not a permissions thing if its on a Mac as well, funny i know some of my problems were permission in Windows 10, as the hub would not start at all. Now it starts but does not allow me to access Layour from Modeler or Modeler from Layout. So just maybe this is indeed an LW problem if it happens on MacOS and Windows 10. Please now someone dont chime in with "Im on Windows 7 and it works perfectly", that would really pee me off.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Went ahead and filed a bug report:
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/LWB-5271/

I was able to attach some Windows Error Reporting (WER) logs which hopefully will help. Unless this gets diagnosed soon, I'll probably go to a Hub-less configuration and see if the problem still happens. Too bad it is so hard to specifically reproduce... That often means an uninitialized or stale pointer, and can be a timing issue or race condition as well. They're the worst :/