Thread: Physical sky lack of correctness, and not able to use sunlight with location

Physical sky lack of correctness, and not able to use sunlight with location

Phil Nolan made a little vid on the new physical sky and making stars with maps etc,
    I made a little respons on it since I think the physical sky doesnīt seem to behave in a physical correct way, and also it seems to lack proper connection with the location settings from pick location, in fact not working with it, instead you need sunspot modifier.

My response...

"I am a bit skeptical to the correctness of the physical sky. First of, it seems you can not match the location with the main light (sunlight) that you have in the scene, and also, any change in azimuth and elevation doesnīt affect the main sunlights rotation at all, meaning you have no real use of the location and the sunlight together. Once you choose the mainlight as the item for the physical sky, instead of the (sol) it will be more correct, but then you can not use any location settings. The manual says using sunlight with sunspot modifier, which is different from the physical sky location panel, to mee it just is confusing they made it this way. The sunspot modifier is old and doesnīt have all locations the new physical sky has either. Apart from that, I think the default settings for the physical sky doesnīt feel right, as for this is what we would see in real life brightness of the sky etc, it looks way overblown bright in default settings.
    Also.. if I take a snapshot of our sky at midsummers eve here in stockholm at 23:00, the sky would still be bright almost at midnight, while setting that time and location with physical sky..it will only turn out dark. So I am skeptical about calling it Physical sky in the level of true accuracy..
    #

Thanks for sharing the vid, saves me the trouble! haha
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Thanks for sharing the vid, saves me the trouble! haha
    I should actually beg you pardon for that, it belongs in a thread with tutorials rather than a complaint thread.

I hope to record some stuff about this soon as well.

As I mentioned in the youtube post, I think the Lightwave team should put some more effort in making the Sunlight connected to a way of choosing location, as good as or better than Dpontīs sk sun, which indeed
    have the option to just check manual for manual rotation, or uncheck it and use elevation, azimuth or pick a location from the preset list.

Perhaps a comparison discussion on these two , Physical sky and sunsky, and its light options..what differs etc, both are sort of stated to be based on hosek wilike, and maybe "physical" but they do definitely not look the same.

Thanks Prometheus,

Despite the problems, it's still a good tool. I'll have a need for some nice skies including a sunset for an upcoming project and this will be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Thanks Prometheus,

Despite the problems, it's still a good tool. I'll have a need for some nice skies including a sunset for an upcoming project and this will be very helpful.
    If you still want location tools for the new Sunlight, you would have to use the old sunspot modifier in the lightīs motion panel.
    or just use Dpontīs sunsky which have both manual and location built in to the UI with a check and uncheck box.

Adding Global scattering Or using a large volumetric Item in cube shape for fog, haze etc helps raising the light scattering in the sky a bit more Atmospheric realism, both Global Scattering and such Volumetric Item needs to be tweaked and fine tuned to match something that looks realistic, itīs not set up per automatic like Terragen and Vue for instance..which have that set up to be quite realistic with some minor manual tweaks to control how much fog, haze, sun decay etc will impact the scene for the day or night they have spent many many years refining it, and also just focus on landscaping and atmospheres..thus such kind of resources takes them to the top of the Game for such things ..compared to a Multipurpose 3D software Like Lightwave.