Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: db&w Needs You!

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omichon View Post
    Mike, please, don't add disturbing music on your videos. It makes it very hard to follow your presentation. The one about qckHuD is terrible on that regard :\
    I'm probably biased because I find my voice to be a lot more disturbing.
    Telling potential customers that not using qckPck means they use LW wrongly doesn't help either, IMO.
    To be fair, that is a customer quote. Then again, agreed, we like that quote and did put it on the page.

Cheers,
    Mike

QckPck integration is seamless and, together with the new menu search in 2019, makes short work of selections and searches. Use it for a couple days and you can't go back. Indispensable imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    To be fair though, we did also expect more users to transition to LW 2018 / 2019 than seemingly have.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Iīm just curious, if you can answer that would be interesting to hear.
    What was the basis for expecting more users to do the transition from 2015 to 2018 / 2019
    Was it your own conclusions after testing the newer versions?

Personally from what I saw from 2018 and after testing some of it, for me it wasnīt quite there yet in terms of ..you really got to upgrade, 2019 implemented som new tools that I found
    very interesting, but itīs in early stages and some things need to get back to track again in terms of workflow..so for me 2019 wasnīt a you really need to upgrade either, I just had the chance to do it and thought..what the heck
    Ill try this once more, but they need to step up a little bit more next time.

...Telling potential customers that not using qckPck means they use LW wrongly doesn't help either, IMO.
    ...To be fair, that is a customer quote. Then again, agreed, we like that quote and did put it on the page...
    To be fairer, LW is designed to be extensible. Using LW without third party plugins (especially those that are free or those that instantly return their expense in time savings) is indeed wrong.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Iīm just curious, if you can answer that would be interesting to hear.
    What was the basis for expecting more users to do the transition from 2015 to 2018 / 2019
    Entirely based on my subjective reasoning since I always make sure to use the latest releases for my core applications.

I've found that, with the exception of project centric show stoppers, the pros tend to outweigh the cons.

Cheers,
    Mike

While the poll is still live, we've decided to release a demo of qckPck: https://www.db-w.com/demos

I hope limitations are reasonable enough to evaluate it.

Cheers,
    Mike

Entirely based on my subjective reasoning since I always make sure to use the latest releases for my core applications.

I've found that, with the exception of project centric show stoppers, the pros tend to outweigh the cons.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Thanks for sharing, I think there is a possibility to have a lot of folks upgrade in the future, but they really need to adress modeling implementation in Layout, really fix the UI, and continue to work on what they started with on vdb tools and the new volumetrics.
    Once they start with that (if they do) I think it will make things much clearer on what to excpect for a full3D package and it will not only in itīs function start to work more modern, but also in the looks of it.

if they donīt ....I am suspecting there will be more folks leaving lightwave than upgrading unfortunately, that is my perspective..and thus I am not surprised by the end result you concluded to.. you say you expected more users to upgrade, and they did not in the magnitude you thought.

The UI and Modeling has been given too little attention I think for many people to Upgrade, hope they are there soon to adress it...or else, who knows.

Unfortunately your workflow tools doesnīt adress the main issues I have with the UI or some workflow, the new volumetrics becoming more tedious to work with then the Old hv UI...
    I am still waiting for a way to scale textures and values uniformly with one selection and drag ..like in blender or houdini or modo.
    I am still waiting for a way to have the popup windows being dockable and fullys scalable, to many of the panels also have unreadable tab..in ways that seem to have gone worse.

Nice new things are the new searchable menu, so I do not have to scroll a huge list of scene items to find a camera target etc, or procedural textures.

Thanks for sharing, I think there is a possibility to have a lot of folks upgrade in the future, but they really need to adress modeling implementation in Layout, really fix the UI, and continue to work on what they started with on vdb tools and the new volumetrics.
    Once they start with that (if they do) I think it will make things much clearer on what to excpect for a full3D package and it will not only in itīs function start to work more modern, but also in the looks of it.

if they donīt ....I am suspecting there will be more folks leaving lightwave than upgrading unfortunately, that is my perspective..and thus I am not surprised by the end result you concluded to.. you say you expected more users to upgrade, and they did not in the magnitude you thought.

The UI and Modeling has been given too little attention I think for many people to Upgrade, hope they are there soon to adress it...or else, who knows.

Unfortunately your workflow tools doesnīt adress the main issues I have with the UI or some workflow, the new volumetrics becoming more tedious to work with then the Old hv UI...
    I am still waiting for a way to scale textures and values uniformly with one selection and drag ..like in blender or houdini or modo.
    I am still waiting for a way to have the popup windows being dockable and fullys scalable, to many of the panels also have unreadable tab..in ways that seem to have gone worse.

Nice new things are the new searchable menu, so I do not have to scroll a huge list of scene items to find a camera target etc, or procedural textures.
    For me personally as someone who models quite a lot, if there are no real modeler improvements in the next release i would find it very hard to justify upgrading. The only reason i still use LW Modeler is for LWCad and 3DPowers but even they are getting less and less of a reason. The destructiveness of modeler is now becoming to much really.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    For me personally as someone who models quite a lot, if there are no real modeler improvements in the next release i would find it very hard to justify upgrading. The only reason i still use LW Modeler is for LWCad and 3DPowers but even they are getting less and less of a reason. The destructiveness of modeler is now becoming to much really.
    This is Just a bump back at what I suspect many folks are reacting to, I am not blind and can see what people in the forum react to, Newtek and the Lw team canīt be blind either, I am guessing itīs a matter of time, the question is if they can deliver it in a reasonable time in reference to the patience of lw customers, I also reckon that if such fundamental changes in Lightwave is put on hold and hold for a very long time, apart from people not upgrading..there will be less and less interest in third party tools, I suspect it may have affected a lot of the third party devs in the sense that they can not get much sales currently, just suspecting but I do not have the full hindsight on that.

Personal reflections on getting the db&W tools, most likely not until I see where lightwave is heading the next major release.

Ive got most of the 3rd party tools i need, there may be a couple of others but i wont make any big purchases until i see some way ahead for LW. NT/vizRT throw us a bone.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

the other 40 threads explains why things are a bit slow at the moment.
    and i've participated enough in those.

so, here's to 2020...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

This is Just a bump back at what I suspect many folks are reacting to, I am not blind and can see what people in the forum react to, Newtek and the Lw team canīt be blind either, I am guessing itīs a matter of time, the question is if they can deliver it in a reasonable time in reference to the patience of lw customers, I also reckon that if such fundamental changes in Lightwave is put on hold and hold for a very long time, apart from people not upgrading..there will be less and less interest in third party tools, I suspect it may have affected a lot of the third party devs in the sense that they can not get much sales currently, just suspecting but I do not have the full hindsight on that.

Personal reflections on getting the db&W tools, most likely not until I see where lightwave is heading the next major release.
    Reasonable time? I would suggest that would have been about 10 years ago when they had a skilled Modeling engineer.

all we can do is wait...

we can't e-n-d-l-e-s-s-l-y complain about the stagnation.

meanwhile, use App X.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Reasonable time? I would suggest that would have been about 10 years ago when they had a skilled Modeling engineer.
    Subjectism and patience is individual, I agree it has taken too long, but I do not agree with the time range you specify.

I'll finish up the poll next week and post the results as well as our thoughts.

Incidentally, we also discussed qckPck on Discord, which led to this post by us on facebook:

--- snip ---

Do you know qckPck?

This is what happens if you dare to try out our free demo version:

Recently a customer said: "I don't see how it can help me.". So we asked him to give the demo a try.

A few minutes later he replied: "I just pressed q in an empty scene...and i think i'm already loving it."

Followed by: "Oh boy...the surface selection!"

Try our free demo and find out what changed his mind. We're sure you'll be impressed as well.

Windows demo: https://www.db-w.com/demos/download/...r-windows-demo
    macOS demo: https://www.db-w.com/demos/download/...for-macos-demo

--- snip ---

Cheers,
    Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123