Thread: Auto-trigger animated buffer

Auto-trigger animated buffer

I have an on-set practical (not virtual or keyed) monitor that I feed from one of the M/E busses on a Tricaster 8000. I want to be able to auto-trigger an animated buffer when I take the shot with the monitor. I want the graphic to start animating in the monitor as soon as I take the shot. Can anybody figure out how to do that?
    Thanks,
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Wdmorningstar View Post
    I have an on-set practical (not virtual or keyed) monitor that I feed from one of the M/E busses on a Tricaster 8000. I want to be able to auto-trigger an animated buffer when I take the shot with the monitor. I want the graphic to start animating in the monitor as soon as I take the shot. Can anybody figure out how to do that?
    Thanks,
    Warren
    If you built the animated buffer as a play once it should automatic animate when the DSK goes to output. You can test this with the 'Zombie Alert' buffer which is build this way.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Might need some more detail. You are feeding the practical monitor from an M/E - is the AnimBuffer then an overlay in that M/E using an M/E Keyer or is is AnimBuffer source the full screen image as in A or B source? I would assume that the M/E is assigned to an Output MIX then, feeding monitor? But another Input (camera) is used on TriCaster to show the real monitor in the shot. Am I following? So say Input 4 is the camera being used, so when Input 4 goes LIVE then you need to start the Anim playing in a certain M/E. Right?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Jeff, yes, that's what I want to do. I'm using one M/E bus as a simple switch to select what asset I want to display in the monitor. Sometimes it can be GFX, sometimes something playing off a DDR, or an animation in a frame buffer. For the DDR, we've been using a biologic trigger -- that is, taking the camera source while simultaneously hitting the DDR play button. It would be much easier on the TD (who also happens to be the director and the audio guy <g>) to be able to take the camera source and have it trigger the start of the animation or the DDR.

If you have a spare M/E, you could try doing this... Put the extra M/E in a regular mix/fade transition mode. In the A row, select the M/E that you are feeding to the on-set monitor. In a KEY row, select the camera that you are normally taking full and turn the keyer on. Instead of taking the camera input directly, take this new M/E instead. That should make that M/E look just like the raw camera shot, but with the added benefit of tallying and autoplaying any sources used in the on-set monitor M/E.

If it was just one source that might be played, I'd suggest using a tally-driven macro attached to that camera input to play the media players whenever you take it. That might not be a good idea if you'll be using them for anything else.

If you don't have a spare M/E or you don't want to use an M/E instead of punching the camera directly, I might try tricking the tally using a macro and a DSK. If you have a DSK you aren't using, you could put the M/E in there as a source. Then use the positioner on that DSK to just slide the whole thing off the screen. Create a macro to simply turn that DSK on and then another one to turn it off. For your camera source, go into the automation and assign the DSK on macro to PGM tally on and the off macro to tally off. That will make it so whenever you take that camera, the DSK containing the M/E will come on but be invisible on PGM since it has been slid off the screen. That will cause the tally for the M/E sources to activate and autoplay your content whenever you take the camera itself.

You might also put in a feature request for autoplay to respect a source that receives tally that is assigned to a MIX output.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Write a macro that starts the animation. Then any shot that shows the physical monitor you right click on the shot, configuration, automate and set it to execute the animate macro each time it gets program status. When it leaves program tally you could stop animation too

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Write a macro that starts the animation. Then any shot that shows the physical monitor you right click on the shot, configuration, automate and set it to execute the animate macro each time it gets program status. When it leaves program tally you could stop animation too
    That's what I was getting at, but there is the complication here that it isn't the same source feeding the monitor each time. If it was always one source, that would be the best approach. If you need different sources, this doesn't really work unless it you set the macro to roll them all, which might have undesirable side effects.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Yeah was thinking having what ever you want to go live on preview in the ME and the macro would issue a cut and have DDR/Grphx etc set to auto play.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    What is the regular show flow?
    Example: Cam 1 is on talent with set monitor in frame and then...
    We need the flow to figure out what options you have on executing this.
    My assumption is M/E 1 (as an example) is driving the set monitor and the TD has to put in the B bus the next asset/media and then hit Take or AUTO on M/E 1. This should trigger the DDR if Auto Play is enabled on the DDR and in the Options menu. But you mention a double punch of switch the camera and pressing play on the DDR which confuses me on your flow.
    We need to understand how your flow is before, like I mentioned, giving all the options the TriCaster has to offer you as there are many options but some more efficient for different workflows.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster