Thread: TC-1 Skype Channels

TC-1 Skype Channels

Hello,

I know the TC-1 comes/ships with two Skype TX channels for remote guests. Is there any way to expand the number of channels supported on the TC-1 without purchasing another Talkshow unit like the VS-100/4000?

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    Sorry, No the TC1 only supports 2 channels of Skype TX.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    Sorry, No the TC1 only supports 2 channels of Skype TX.
    Thanks.

Well, one could probably jury-rig another channel using Skype's native NDI support and NDI virtual input ... but it wouldn't really be as good a solution.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Actually that Skype via NDI is what we use all the time and works quite well. The most significant issue is creating a mix minus so the audio won't fold back to the phone caller. We have an exteral (and quite sophisticated) audio board and do it through that along with the aux outs of the TriCaster.

All you need otherwise is a spare computer (and it doesn't even need to be particularly powerful).

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    Actually that Skype via NDI is what we use all the time and works quite well.
    I appreciate that, Fritz; but I do think SkypeTX and a TalkShow have their advantages.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

No doubt it does but we don't have a budget for a TalkShow unit at this time.

Obviously, the multiple channels of the VS4000 along with a lot more sophisticated call controls are great. And, all in one nice little package to boot!

Fritz

Aye, mate, I'm no criticizing thrift - merely defending my remark.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Mix Minus

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    No doubt it does but we don't have a budget for a TalkShow unit at this time.

Obviously, the multiple channels of the VS4000 along with a lot more sophisticated call controls are great. And, all in one nice little package to boot!

Fritz
    Curious, if I tried to add a channel using Skype via NDI, the audio routing would have to be handle externally as you said for the mix-minus. How many input/output channels are you using on your audio board to accomplish this?

Quote Originally Posted by mlambr01 View Post
    Curious, if I tried to add a channel using Skype via NDI, the audio routing would have to be handle externally as you said for the mix-minus. How many input/output channels are you using on your audio board to accomplish this?
    This is not necessarily so. It's quite a simple matter to support the mix minus requirements of several VS-4000 systems using TriCaster's native Audio Mixer. I think you could probably do something similar with the basic Skype application and NDI Virtual Input.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Although we use an external mixer to do the mix minus, that is not an absolute requirement. With the multiple channels in the TriCaster for routing, you should be able to do that internally as well.

I've got one audio channel on the board set up for the Skype output and one program bus on the board for the mix minus return. I use one aux output on the TriCaster for forwarding from Skype. And one audio input on the TriCaster for the mix minus forwarding to Skype. If my audio were all NDI then I wouldn't need either of those but our board is currently analog audio for this.
    Last edited by fgolman; 07-02-2019 at 07:08 PM.