Thread: A witches Brew - Animation

A witches Brew - Animation

I finally got around to finishing a little animation I've been working on a while. (Obviously could do more do it, but got to end somewhere). It started life as a bit of testing - not really planned to make anything of it, but one thing led to another and I expanded on it somewhat

Animation is keyframed and Blender provided the cloth, fire and smoke sim. Rendered in Octane.

https://youtu.be/JhdnG4c35NE
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

In my opinion, the hair is too mobile, in reality it moves more gently, especially gray hair. There is one more small moment - before a woman, who invents Sprite, in difficult field conditions, beats the boiler with her hands - for a moment her hands cling to an invisible object in the air, while the body moves up and slightly to the right. In general, good animation.

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    In my opinion, the hair is too mobile, in reality it moves more gently, especially gray hair. There is one more small moment - before a woman, who invents Sprite, in difficult field conditions, beats the boiler with her hands - for a moment her hands cling to an invisible object in the air, while the body moves up and slightly to the right. In general, good animation.
    Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated. I didn’t notice any issue with the arms at the time, but I suspect any invisible object clinging is due to having IK arms. What I should have done in retrospect is to switch to FK after the stirring actions. As for the hair - it was a total pain and I wish LW had a dedicated dynamic hair system. But I just went with settings that didn’t let the spline guides go through her face!

I completely agree - the dynamics of hair in the LW at the moment is a very difficult matter.

Yeah, bullet dynamics with guides is a rather finicky beast. One setting off, and things go haywire.
    Getting set up is not easy, either.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Yeah, bullet dynamics with guides is a rather finicky beast. One setting off, and things go haywire.
    Getting set up is not easy, either.
    SO...during me looking into getting a better hair sim next time, I've worked out a multi step process/faff to getting dynamic hair guides from Blender and into Layout (Crappy proof of concept attached). So although shading will have to be done with FFX, the actual sim should in theory be more accurate!

BlenderHairInLW.mov

The next time I try to use dynamics on hair guides, I'm probably going to use bullet dynamics on bones instead. Yeah, there will be a lot of bones, but hopefully it will be a lot more stable, too.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    The next time I try to use dynamics on hair guides, I'm probably going to use bullet dynamics on bones instead. Yeah, there will be a lot of bones, but hopefully it will be a lot more stable, too.
    Never used that feature, so it will be interesting to see the results!