Thread: Looking for mini PC/digital signage PC to run NDI Studio Monitor

Looking for mini PC/digital signage PC to run NDI Studio Monitor

Hi all,

I'm looking for either a mini PC or stick PC in the sub $300 range. Looking just to run NDI Studio Monitor @ 1080/30fps - something to mount to the back of a flat screen tv, preferably running on our gigabit wireless network. Nothing else, they're just used as additional screens when we see fit.

I'm eyeing either the Z8350 processor sticks w/ 4 GB ram, those seem to range in the sub $200 market. Any other ideas or anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks all.

If you're planning on running Windows, and I assume you are, make sure the unit you buy has at least 64GB of storage. Although the situation can change, Windows updates require a lot of space.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I can say from experience a Celeron N3450 (Passmark score =1823) will not play 1080p60 reliably. It drops several frames/sec. It does play 1080p30 fine.

The Z8350 you cite has Passmark = 1269...so probably not up to the task.

I recently bought some used Lenovo M73 Tiny uSFF PCs for around $200 on Ebay. These have i5-4570T CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro. They handle 1080p60 using about 25% of CPU.

Once again, as I've noted since last year, the Intel Compute Stick works very well. I'm using the i3 (m3) implementation at about $300 but the Atom version might work OK too, at $125 or so.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    Once again, as I've noted since last year, the Intel Compute Stick works very well. I'm using the i3 (m3) implementation at about $300 but the Atom version might work OK too, at $125 or so.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Details matter. The Atom version cannot handle 1080p60. Nor does the Celeron N3450.

In the case of the N3450, it's not the CPU that's overloaded. It's the mated GPU. It can only get to about 48 f/s.