Thread: Tracking down Lightwave crashing when switching procedural textures.

Tracking down Lightwave crashing when switching procedural textures.

Anyone experience these issues?..
    Lightwave 2019.03 windows 10.

I Havenīt checked it fully in other circumstances, I was fiddling with the earth hi-res scene in the Lightwave content (primitive shapes)
    With VPR active, I was changing the procedural textures for the clouds, I started by entering the color layer where the procedurals are managed,
    I then added a new procedural ..changed the check mark to non active, then with that same layer I was trying to switch procedural type..and boom, here is where it crashes, doesnīt matter what texture.

However..if I do not check it as inactive..but keep it active and then change the procedural type, it will not crash, so it seems to be a conflict where lightwave canīt handle a switch of procedural types when the layer is inactive.
    Anyone else able to confirm this, I am not sure this would happen without vpr active and in other cases not related to volumetrics, right now I am doing some other work so I can not check it fully.

Any chance of a screenshot of what you mean? I tried it here, it didn't crash, but I'm probably doing something incorrect with the steps above.
    If I use a colour layer node, and untick one of the layers, and edit the unticked layer's procedural the UI seems to jump to the ticked one which is annoying.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Any chance of a screenshot of what you mean? I tried it here, it didn't crash, but I'm probably doing something incorrect with the steps above.
    If I use a colour layer node, and untick one of the layers, and edit the unticked layer's procedural the UI seems to jump to the ticked one which is annoying.
    i'm at midsommer barbeque today
    .will get back within a couple of hours with screenshots..
    i could probably record the process leading up til the crashes as well if needed.

the thing isnt just editing an inactive layer..but to switch procedural texture...within that inactive layer

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    i'm at midsommer barbeque today
    .will get back within a couple of hours with screenshots..
    i could probably record the process leading up til the crashes as well if needed.

the thing isnt just editing an inactive layer..but to switch procedural texture...within that inactive layer
    Oh cool... Midsommer is meant to be a great celebration, have fun.

I did try switching the procedural too, but it didn't crash here. I wasn't using the earth scene from the content though. Wonder if it's something in that scene that is specific to the crash?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Oh cool... Midsommer is meant to be a great celebration, have fun.

I did try switching the procedural too, but it didn't crash here. I wasn't using the earth scene from the content though. Wonder if it's something in that scene that is specific to the crash?
    Iīs more calmer nowadays when reaching 54, some still behave like youngsters at that age, with the right amount of "snaps" drinks that often comes with the celebration..and then they go sing that silly little frog tune, earlier in the day itīs often celebrated with kids at parks and castle areas, dancing around the midsummer pole, I have sort of left that behind nowadays, just barbeque with the family and eating strawberries, drinking has never been something I have enjoyed..so

I am probably a bit boring at these occasions, lovely evening still though.
    itīs 30 minutes past midnight here at midsommers eve, wonderful evening with barbeque and strawberries..a long walk home through the villages ..wonderful night smelling all the summer flowers and listening to all the late night folks singing and laughing , I did not hear that little frog song"små grodorna" but I did hear sounds of silence with simon and garfunkel while walking throuhg the village, that was quite nice, but Itīs bedtime soon for me, not the same stamina as in my youth days, (except when I get all excited doing some 3d stuff) for some people it can be a bit difficult to hit the sack since the sky is still a bit cyanblue bright 30 minutes after midnight.

Will check these issues more tomorrow.
    I mentioned the scene in case in the thread earlier, itīs the earth hi-res scene, you should find it under primitive shapes /earth volume content, try it with vpr active.

I tried this with a simple volumetric item, used color scalar layer and two textures to use, making one of them inactive while yet changing procedural type within that layer, and it doesnīt crasch on me, tried with vpr active as well while doing so.
    So something in that earth hires scene, maybe a memory issue, will have to reduce itīs complexity and check perhaps.