Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limiting a Fog's Height on the Y axis?

Since the volumetric objects are separate & have their own settings, sure, why couldn't your simply have both?

Here's a W.I.P. that I always intended to have in heavy atmosphere, so a Before & After if you will:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TramLine_NoVolumet_12m30s.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	621.9 KB 
ID:	145315

And with volum cube:

Name:	TramLine+Volumetrics_63m47s.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	145316

Just a tad different feeling to be sure.

Something to note though are the settings. Mine are all on the right hand side of the decimal point in the tenths and thousandths, whereas Prometheus's are in the low single digits. I suspect that's due to the scale & camera distance, etc. but have you tested with foreground & distant objects P.?

Name:	VoluFogSets.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	433.5 KB 
ID:	145317
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Since the volumetric objects are separate & have their own settings, sure, why couldn't your simply have both?

Here's a W.I.P. that I always intended to have in heavy atmosphere, so a Before & After if you will:

And with volum cube:

Something to note though are the settings. Mine are all on the right hand side of the decimal point in the tenths and thousandths, whereas Prometheus's are in the low single digits. I suspect that's due to the scale & camera distance, etc. but have you tested with foreground & distant objects P.?

yes I have, but not in this particular scene above, I think using this method you and I use.. is good for foggy/misty days, like a boat on the sea etc.
    Sure you can get similar look with global scattering as well, though I think it requires more nodal work...I am not that versed in them both to give a proper opinion on what is best in terms of realism, and speed in rendering.

You can always use gradient (distance to object or Y distance to object) adjusting Scattering Weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post

And with volum cube:

These are nice examples BTW...
    I think the new volume stuff in LW is awesome and not too slow either, on a half-decent PC.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    You can always use gradient (distance to object or Y distance to object) adjusting Scattering Weight.
    You need depth too..so another gradient or node to adjust thickness/density closer to the camera

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    These are nice examples BTW...
    I think the new volume stuff in LW is awesome and not too slow either, on a half-decent PC.
    The speed and quality is pretty decent for volumetric lights, but as soon as you add several layers of volumetrics, such as overlaying global scattering on top of volumetric clouds, rendertimes and interactivity speed decreases rapidly, and you can expect similar rendering times as when using vue and terragen for godrays etc..45 minutes and above per frame at maybe 1280x700 resolution.
    in 2019 lightwave, they implemented the new physical sunlight, the distant light previously didnīt work with the global volumetric scattering, it now does so that is one improvement.

However..that new implementation is tricky to get physical correct for acheiving godrays, hard to set up due to the volumetric distance option and knowing how to set it right in relation to a clouds distance and scale..and I can see it yields sharp cut off in the volumetric ray casting some distance away from the clouds, that doesnīt look good...extremely hard to set right...that is when you look at the rays just behind the cloud edges.

I gotta say Lee - Ive wanted this exact feature so many times! It would be great to have it as a simple control in the volumetrics tab, seeing as though Fog type, min and max distance are already there. Personally i would love to have a "Y fog height control" that quickly allows you to create a sort of ground haze or fog for landscape scenes.

The reason I say this is purely because I like using the Fog option so much, its so quick and useful for quickly creating a bit of atmosphere in a scene without complex setups.
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa
    http://www.youtube.com/user/independentvfx

Quote Originally Posted by scott.newman.ct View Post
    I gotta say Lee - Ive wanted this exact feature so many times! It would be great to have it as a simple control in the volumetrics tab, seeing as though Fog type, min and max distance are already there. Personally i would love to have a "Y fog height control" that quickly allows you to create a sort of ground haze or fog for landscape scenes.

The reason I say this is purely because I like using the Fog option so much, its so quick and useful for quickly creating a bit of atmosphere in a scene without complex setups.
    You could look in to this tutorial and check his node in the end when he adjust scattering in atmosphere, though that is made on the volume item and not global scattering, so I reckon one needs to do some things differently.
    You may controll this a bit with a null item, add a null..then you could for instance in global scattering node editor, add Item info( choose null as item..the plug position in to a vector scalar, and set vector scalar to length or Y-channel, then feed that vector scalar in to the scattering weigth input...but that will only make a ctrl of increasing scattering weight by moving the null, I have yet to figure out the node math to limit it on distance to the null y position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12