Thread: Sony HXR-NX5U Date and Time Overlay

Sony HXR-NX5U Date and Time Overlay

I have some clips recorded with the Sony Nx5U camera and they have the date and time on them. I didn't realize that it was recording to the clips. I thought it was just on the LCD screen. I think I had this problem with a Panasonic camera one time and could turn it off in the menu on the camera after they were recorded. Unless someone else has a trick, I don't see anyway to turn it off on the camera and then play the camera into the Tricaster and capture the SDI signal. I think my only option is to place the company logo on a bar and overlay it over the date and time. I definitely have it turned off in the menu now. Luckily, these are fairly short clips that are going on a website.

If you have a better idea or know how to play them without it, let me know.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Marty,

Unfortunately, in the "Others" Menu, if you have "Date Rec" set to "On" the NX5U will "burn in" the Date and Time on your screen with no chance of clearing it. Your logo idea isn't a bad idea but you also could bring these files into your editing app, zoom in slightly add a defocus filter on that area and reposition the video over and down to minimize the screen area taken up and then import new files...

Hope this helps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Others Menu.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	588.8 KB 
ID:	145263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 87.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	664.8 KB 
ID:	145264

John
    Last edited by Johnnyoutback; 06-20-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    --
    John Alexander

TriCaster Mini (HDMI)
    Spark Connect
    Sony HXR-NX5R
    Sony NX-5U
    Canon XF105

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyoutback View Post
    Marty,

Unfortunately, in the "Others" Menu, if you have "Date Rec" set to "On" the NX5U will "burn in" the Date and Time on your screen with no chance of clearing it. Your logo idea isn't a bad idea but you also could bring these files into your editing app, zoom in slightly add a defocus filter on that area and reposition the video over and down to minimize the screen area taken up and then import new files...

Hope this helps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Others Menu.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	588.8 KB 
ID:	145263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 87.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	664.8 KB 
ID:	145264

John

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up just using a bar with her logo on it and it worked out fine. It puts is pretty low on the screen, so that helps. From now on, I will be sure that is off. I didn't realize it was on and that I wouldn't be able to remove the display. I read in the manual and didn't think I missed anything that would let me remove.

This camera records a MTS file format which is AVCHD. I'm sure you know that, if you own one. My question is what software do you use to join all the clips together and render a file that SpeedEdit likes to work with. I use Brorsoft Software and tried two different AVI formats and SpeedEdit would just close up when I tried to drag them to the timeline. I have ended up working with the original files since most of the clips were not split, but it's kind of difficult playing that format. My other option that works well is to just connect the SDI to an input on the Tricaster 460 and play and capture. I may do it that way next time, if I can't find a better workflow. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Hi Marty,

I have shot with the NX5U since 2010. I mainly use Adobe Premiere to edit and the Media Browser will stitch the clips on import.

The NX5U came with Content Management Utility software on a CD-ROM. This MAY stitch the files together but I have not used or installed this software. If you need that software I believe this is a good download link:https://pro.sony/en_CA/product-resou.../1237492935689 **Please check the source to make sure it's actually a good Sony link. I believe it is...

I also shoot with the upgraded version of the NX5U. the HXR-NX5R. Somewhat better picture quality although the hard drive accessory is not available and the touch panel on the LCD screen is not offered.

John
    --
    John Alexander

TriCaster Mini (HDMI)
    Spark Connect
    Sony HXR-NX5R
    Sony NX-5U
    Canon XF105