Thread: Controlling PTZ using a desktop computer

Controlling PTZ using a desktop computer

I have connected the PTZ camera to using ct 6 Ethernet cable to my internet router and then connected my computer to the router using ct 6 Ethernet cable. I have downloaded the Newtek NDI tools and I am trying to use the studio monitor app to control my camera over the web. I am experiencing freeze of the studio monitor app. Is there a better way to control the camera via a computer? Should I connect the camera directly to the computer? Should I use tricaster?

There are many things that could go wrong here. Please clarify a few things for us. Does NDI Studio Monitor work at all? Meaning, can you view the NDI source and control the camera before the program crashes, or it just never works at all? If you do have a TriCaster, then certainly try and see if that works. Make sure the NDI|HX driver is installed on TriCaster. What are the specifications of the computer you are running NDI Monitor on?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

In my experience, Studio Monitors PTZ controls are really quite responsive, better than a lot of apps I've seen - so this suggests some sort of conflict or issue, perhaps on the network. .
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Jeff,

1. Yes - I am able to see the NDI source and control the camera using the Studio Monitor application. I found it necessary to use the PTZ's web page (using Chrome) to control the camera and not just the Studio Monitor Application.
    2. Unfortunately the program is often crashes when I am minimizing the Studio Monitor application or moving it on my screen so I can see the PTZ's web page control.
    3. Is the way I connected my desktop computer to the camera is the "right way"? Is there a different way to make this connection without using a triCaster?
    4. I am using a Dell OptiPlex 3060 as my desktop computer. It's equipped with a 3.0 GHz Intel Core i5-8500 six-core processor, 4GB of DDR4 RAM, a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD, and integrated Intel UHD graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by akasuper1 View Post
    Hi Jeff,

1. Yes - I am able to see the NDI source and control the camera using the Studio Monitor application. I found it necessary to use the PTZ's web page (using Chrome) to control the camera and not just the Studio Monitor Application.
    2. Unfortunately the program is often crashes when I am minimizing the Studio Monitor application or moving it on my screen so I can see the PTZ's web page control.
    3. Is the way I connected my desktop computer to the camera is the "right way"? Is there a different way to make this connection without using a triCaster?
    4. I am using a Dell OptiPlex 3060 as my desktop computer. It's equipped with a 3.0 GHz Intel Core i5-8500 six-core processor, 4GB of DDR4 RAM, a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD, and integrated Intel UHD graphics.
    The network connection of the camera should have nothing to do with the software crashing or locking up, that would seem to be an issue with the computer itself. The "System Recommendations" for NDI Tools is to have a minimum 6GB RAM and your system has just 4GB which seems very light for ANY computing needs. I don't know if that would cause the problem, but using a slightly more powerful computer would not hurt the situation. You can certainly control and use a PTZ1 camera without a TriCaster, that is dependent on your workflow.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Hi Jeff,

So I have double checked and I actually have 8GB 2X4GB DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM Non-ECC. So more than 6GM RAM.
    I just experienced one on those crashes: I have clicked on the Studio Monitor Application and the application window opened but there is no video output on the screen nor there is the configuration gear icon at the lower right of the screen. All I see is a black screen with the menu gadget at upper left. I can access this menu gadget, but I can't access my camera. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?
    In the past I had to unplug the camera from the power cord to solve this issue.

Is the camera appearing in the list of selections from the menu gadget or are you able to select it but get nothing?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Newbie Member
    Do you have the camera plugged in via the supplied DC adapter, or are you running it from the Ethernet connection? If you are using just the Ethernet connection, you would need to power it from a POE+ port on your switch.

Great Information..Thank You