Thread: Using an image sequence in a timeline?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using an image sequence in a timeline?

I know how to set an image sequence in the image editor but is there a way to make it go off a certain times?

I want it to go off at the beginning but I also want to to go off again at frame 65.

You can set the length of the Image Sequence to 65 and then set Post Behavior to Loop. As an example, here's the Image Editor panel setting the sequence to 60 frames long (the actual sequence is 240 frames), and then looping back to the beginning every 60 frames:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_LoopImageSequence.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	145233 Set Length to 60 frame

If you ONLY want the sequence to start at zero and again at 65, I think you'd need to use the Image Editor=>Clone=>Duplicate to make a copy of the Image Sequence, and then set the Start Frame to 65.

mTp

Yeah I do want the sequence to go off at certain different times instead of a repeating loop. I will look into the cloning technique. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noval View Post
    Yeah I do want the sequence to go off at certain different times instead of a repeating loop. I will look into the cloning technique. Thanks!
    You could try this:

In the Image Editor, load your sequence and make sure it's set to sequence in it's settings.

Select the sequence name from the Name list and clone it as Clone>Duplicate.

Select the newly cloned sequence from the Name list (it should have + sign appended to it).

Change the 'Start Frame' number to the timeline frame number you'd like it to commence playback from.

Open the surface editor and select your object's surface name that will host the image sequences.

If you're using pre LW2018 then open its colour channel's Texture Editor (the T button) and add an Image Map layer ( Add Layer>Image Map ). You should see two layer's in the list. Select one and add the first image sequence to that layer.

Open that layer's 'Layer Opacity' envelope setting to enter the Graph Editor for it's channel, then set a key frame for when you want the image sequence to finish playing and give it a value of 0 to turn off it's opacity.

Then change the 'Incoming Curve' to 'Stepped'.

Return to the Texture Editor and select the Cloned layer from the Layer Name list.

Set it's image map to the cloned image sequence from the 'Image' drop down list.

Play it back and viola. That should be that.

With this technique you can effectively have a pseudo video editor from within the Image Editor. No extra geometry needed. Everything's just tied to your object's surface. Nice and tidy.

Let us know how it works out for you.

If you have the db&w plugin frameD you can essentially create a playlist for your images.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo