Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Effects How to in Lightwave ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I just wanted to chime in that real lightning is not uniform in color. It creates light beyond both ends of the visible spectrum, and one section of a bolt isn't necessarily making the same color as another depending on the atmosphere its going through. Remember, it's ionizing air over miles. You generally "see" this when looking away from the storm at what is getting illuminated in the shadows. Of course all of this is happening in fractions of a second so it's almost subliminal & most people only register brightness.

If you get a chance, re-watch the opening sequence of the Spielberg version of "War of the Worlds". They got it right for a change with the lightning "Effect". I say effect as they did it for real having a couple hundred Lightning Strikes units along the freeway ramp and I don't know how many generators to power them. Not exactly a common budgetary luxury of course, but hey. Some heads were gelled with greens & reds, & purples (I think Dave (the gaffer) said it was close to 1/2 mile of lights) spread throughout. The result probably went unnoticed by most but really sold it for me.

Thanks for the physical in depth cover of Lightning, though I suspected something like that.
    And we had some nice Lightning a couple of days ago, lasted 50 minutes and I was watching it on my balcony while eating strawberries, so nice..no thunder, just a lotīs of flashes, some just lighting up the clouds, mixed with huge bolts both down and at the length of the horizon...funny, I was at that moment thinking of just "War of the Worlds" I was just waiting for that horn sounding
    The last time I saw real lightning over here was probably 10 months ago, so it doesnīt really happen often over here sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thatīs good and the motion is good..maybe some more forking, I added hvīs on it for rendering..may post later, though that canīt be used with the new volumetrics, since you have to use the legacy system.
    Adding more forking is as easy as duplicating the second particle and child and changing its starting frame. Also I might had you can update its look in real time by rotating the wind fx null. I haven't really messed around with the new volumetric engine yet, why exactly can't you use particles?

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post
    Adding more forking is as easy as duplicating the second particle and child and changing its starting frame. Also I might had you can update its look in real time by rotating the wind fx null. I haven't really messed around with the new volumetric engine yet, why exactly can't you use particles?
    Ivīe never said you canīt use particles in 2019, I said that you can not mix old hv sprites with the new volumetric engine, meaning if you have real volumetric clouds with the new vollume item, you can not use the two volumetric systems at once, I prefer to use sprites for faster rendering, so If I would like to have that And the new volumetric clouds, I would have to render in passes and switch volumetric systems.
    That said, you can use the new volumetric system as well, though I doubt it is as fast as sprites, and setting up particle age gradient is messier, I use that for fading the forks out, the whole concept in the new volumetrics has taken a step back in workflow, it means more nodal work, and you have to individually stand on each emitter seperately to tweak itīs volumetrics....with old hv you can have one interface for all items, and then just copy and paste hv setting without having to jump in a list or selecting the items individually which you now is forced to do, takes longer to set up and slower to render.

One advantage may be that it can be easier to have a volumetric lightning streak to affect volumetric clouds if you use indirect volumetric sampling, and use a very high emission value.

Images,based on your scene..and Actually a snapshot over the surrounding area in my neighbourhood when there was that lightning the other day, but I wasnīt trying to catch that lightning, safer to do it this way and no need to
    Catch the lightning.
    the first image is old hv sprites,..also using post processing corona, the other is a setup with the new volumetrics, which doesnīt have sprites.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightning.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	145326

Name:	Lightning new volumetrics.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	145327

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thanks for the physical in depth cover of Lightning, though I suspected something like that.
    And we had some nice Lightning a couple of days ago, lasted 50 minutes and I was watching it on my balcony while eating strawberries, so nice..no thunder, just a lotīs of flashes, some just lighting up the clouds, mixed with huge bolts both down and at the length of the horizon...funny, I was at that moment thinking of just "War of the Worlds" I was just waiting for that horn sounding
    The last time I saw real lightning over here was probably 10 months ago, so it doesnīt really happen often over here sadly.
    Love the stuff. We just had a couple in the past few hours, but too overcast to see anything. Nice cleansing shower & a lot of thunder though.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

When I was 12 I saw artoo-detoo get shot by the Jawas and zaps went all over him. RIGHT THEN I wanted to do that kind of thing (rotoscoped hand drawn animation) for a living. But how would a kid in Cincinnati ever get to Hollywood? Forget it! But I had no idea computers would come along 20 years later and I actually would do it! Sadly the animator who did that shot died of old age a few years ago. A bit of my childhood died the day I saw his obit in the trades. Not as big a death as when I sat through the new movies. Still, it was painful enough

Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    When I was 12 I saw artoo-detoo get shot by the Jawas and zaps went all over him. RIGHT THEN I wanted to do that kind of thing (rotoscoped hand drawn animation) for a living. But how would a kid in Cincinnati ever get to Hollywood? Forget it! But I had no idea computers would come along 20 years later and I actually would do it! Sadly the animator who did that shot died of old age a few years ago. A bit of my childhood died the day I saw his obit in the trades. Not as big a death as when I sat through the new movies. Still, it was painful enough

Same age here then, Iīm turning 54 in october, I was around 12 as well when seing StarWars I think, though that particular Jawa shot on R2 wasnīt exactly what impressed me mostly, guess it was the whole mood, initially the spaceshots of course, at that time never seen anything like that in the movies, along with the sound effects, and lasers.

Bergen and Oslo today;

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    I might download the free version of Hitfilm, would rather see something in Davinci Resolve or fusion though so I do not have to much stuff installed, and hitfilm would be specificly for just Lightning, if that is part of the free version, I also need to verify if
    the tracking tools is part of the free version as well.

Check this tutorial..Around 3:57 in the clip where he adds Lightning and tracking..would have suited well for a jawa-Droid shot hot as well...

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Bergen and Oslo today;

nice erikals...did you take them?

nice erikals...did you take them?
    no NRK, all the way

agree, HitFilm is tempting when it comes to that, and would really like to see it in DaVinci Resolve / Fusion
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...htning+effects

Gave fusion ligthning plugin a little more test time, still not satisfied with the controls, especially hard to get smoother high detail in the main start bolt..even though it naturally and generally doesnīt have as much as in the forks.
    Also difficult to get realistic end forkings ..which After effects does so well, may have to look at hitfilm after all, when I looked at limitations..the electricity effect isnīt affected so one should be able to use that.

Images, first image one lightning effect, the second I just copied and pasted the lightning node and moved it a bit to ge a second bolt.
    Using background layer seperately for the bolts so that I can add glow specificly on the Lightning only.
    As for doing it in Lightwave Only, I think I prefer the way of using real particles..just as the scene squarewulf posted, I may try and modify and rework that with other settings though, in the end it is
    always easier to tweak a post processing tool when changing values in the sense that it works faster and also having glow active in a layer or node etc so you see it in full works rather than having to render out an image in 3D.

Name:	Fusion Lightning test.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	145347

Name:	Fusion Lightning test_double lightning.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	145348

Gave fusion ligthning plugin a little more test time, still not satisfied with the controls, especially hard to get smoother high detail in the main start bolt..even though it naturally and generally doesnīt have as much as in the forks.
    yeah,... in this regard, HitFilm is way better

yeah,... in this regard, HitFilm is way better

Yes..both after effects and Hitfilm looks way better.
    One note though, for Hitfilm Ivé seen a Ghostbusters lightning bolt streamer tutorial, though I think they use particles for that and not the electricity tool, and particles is only available in commercial I think.

more reference, VFX behind prometheus, a little showcase of small lightning effects at around 8:08..though it is a bit obscured as to what they actually used.
    I must have missed this vfx behind..just recently noticed it.

for something like Prometheus, i'd just PhotoShop it simple, and super!

for something like Prometheus, i'd just PhotoShop it simple, and super!
    The effect is best seen animated over a few frames, initial stroke, growing glow and fading glow and stroke..and illuminating of clouds, that is what makes it special those prom striknings are quite simple in bolt structure, but the timing of the lightning and glow grow and fade etc is just perfect.
    The next simplest.. think would be to use fusion and perhaps animate in the glow and fading there, though I may download and check hitfilm for this effect in particular.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast