Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TriCaster 460 not booting!!

TriCaster 460 not booting!!

Hi there.

Time for an upgrade to the latest AE3-version.
    Choosed Administrator mode and Backup and Restore option.
    The TriCaster went black.
    Now it won´t boot.
    It doesn´t even give me the Newtek Logo...

Please help...!

Best regards

/Frippe

Quote Originally Posted by frippe77 View Post
    Hi there.

Time for an upgrade to the latest AE3-version.
    Choosed Administrator mode and Backup and Restore option.
    The TriCaster went black.
    Now it won´t boot.
    It doesn´t even give me the Newtek Logo...

Please help...!

Best regards

/Frippe
    Facing the same here, help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Shane

Barring hard drive failure, it should be possible to restore both of these units to "as-shipped" state using the TriCaster Restore function; but since you both seem to have started with that (no idea why, really, as such as step is generally unnecessary) I think you'd both best contact support: https://www.newtek.com/support/get-support/
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Guys!

Since we had our TriCaster 460 mounted in a case and we were about to change power supply, I totally disconnected it and placed it on a table. Removed the extra SSD we have in the slot, reconnected the Power and an external monitor. Crossed my fingers and pressed the start switch. Happy to see the startup again…

I'm not really sure why I got the problem when I tried a Backup and Restore from the TriCaster menu within Windows. I've done it several times from the startup menu when booting up the system and never experienced any problems...

I'm not sure if the problem was a result of software/hardware (my monitors didn't get a proper signal from the graphics card resulting in black monitors, and there might have been a startup message which I couldn't see. On the other hand I didn't get a indicator from the HDD LED that the harddrive was loading/working. Maybe a combination of loss of monitor signal, and a system hault in the startup procedure waiting for me to select an option...)

Best regards

/Frippe

Probably best to only connect a singe monitor when doing a Restore as dual/multiple displays could have unforeseen issues

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Something else that is a possibility if you have had your TC460 for a long time is the motherboard BIOS battery. I've seen these cause booting issues, not always but sometimes. If you have had your system for 4 to 5 or more years (the first TC460 system shipped in 2013!), it is possible the battery had died.

If your system is under warranty, then contact NewTek support. They are a good place to start before you do anything.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kane,

I had my 460 back at NewTek a couple of months ago for a hard-drive booting issue. Am having a different problem now similar to the OP. The 460 intermittantly boots fine with all drives (boot drive, internal 4TB drive, removable 4TB drive) but sometimes only the boot drive and the removable drive mount. One time, last night, neither the internal 4tb nor the removable 4tb drive appeared. I just keep rebooting until at least the removable drive appears so I have something to work with at the shoot.

Do I need to take to my local NewTek dealer or send back to San Antonio?

Chuck

Hi again.

I'm still experiencing problems with the startup procedure. Pressing the start-button -> black screens for about 20 seconds -> all of a sudden I'm logged on to Windows and the IU is starting up…

I'm not getting the BIOS screen at startup. Tried to connect the monitor out to another monitor but it says "out of sync" (not getting the message "no signal") is it possible that the GPU is starting up with bad sync and that Windows resolves the issue?

The startup to get in to the TriCaster UI is also taking a while compared to the previous version of AE3.

Best regards

/Frippe

Quote Originally Posted by frippe77 View Post
    Hi again.

I'm still experiencing problems with the startup procedure. Pressing the start-button -> black screens for about 20 seconds -> all of a sudden I'm logged on to Windows and the IU is starting up…

I'm not getting the BIOS screen at startup. Tried to connect the monitor out to another monitor but it says "out of sync" (not getting the message "no signal") is it possible that the GPU is starting up with bad sync and that Windows resolves the issue?

The startup to get in to the TriCaster UI is also taking a while compared to the previous version of AE3.

Best regards

/Frippe
    Narrowing the problem a bit...
    It seems that when I connect only one monitor to the HDMI-out on the graphics card I get the startup screen (BIOS). When adding my second screen to the DVI-out and restarting the system I only get a black (no signal) startup, ending up in Windows after about 20 seconds.

Ideas??

/Frippe

Must be something in the air. Our TriCaster 460 started becoming increasingly reticent to boot a few weeks ago, and now refuses to boot at all. The unit is (well) out of warranty so I started down the fairly 'normal' troubleshooting steps for a PC. Long story short, looks like either the motherboard or the processor has packed it in. And being far too familiar with Window's intolerance of dramatic hardware changes, I'm trying to figure out what our options are?

Have located a couple of sources for the motherboard, and processors are easy enough... But it seemed worth asking: were any motherboards aside from the ASRock H97M Pro4 used during the production of the 460? Since I begin to get the feeling from reading some the threads regarding failed 460's that this motherboard did not age well, I'd like to know before tossing money at a replacement one.

Thanks;
    -jim
    James Willing
    Toronto Cowboy Church

TriCaster: 460 with AE + CS
    Camera: Panasonic AG-HMG80P, PTZ Optics PT20X-NDI

If there is no activity on the hard drives and no beeps or picture on the monitors, try giving the RAM a massage. It may have worked itself a little loose over time. Or just popping it out of the slot and back in again.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Yeah, tried that as well... No change.

May try to dig up some different memory to try in the event that what they used did not age well either.
    James Willing
    Toronto Cowboy Church

Pulling/reseating the memory - no change. Changing out the memory - no change...

Does not bode well...
    James Willing
    Toronto Cowboy Church

Well... finally got things running again by replacing the CPU and motherboard. In retrospect, I probably should have seen this coming but got caught up in the 'black box' nature of the TriCaster and neglected the fact that in reality it is just a fairly standard PC class machine with some custom boards plugged in.

The clue should have been when I noticed the CPU fan start to yo-yo in speed when streaming. And by this I don't mean that it was simply speeding up to the point where it became noticeable but that it was jumping in speed dramatically for 4-6 seconds at a time and then slowing back down. When I submitted this as a question in the forum I was advised by one of the Newtek folk that this was "normal" due to the CPU load while streaming. And I took them at their word, even given that fact that I have worked with high performance PC based systems for years and have rarely, if ever seen that type of reactions based on CPU load.

Doing a bit of a "post mortem" on the CPU/motherboard combo that got swapped out, I discovered the likely cause. The thermal paste between the CPU and fan sink had degraded to mostly powder and there was only a small bit of good contact left between the top of the CPU and the base of the fan sink. The CPU baked itself to death and the reaction of the fan was the motherboard logic's attempts to maintain the cooling on the CPU.

Needless to say, I looked very closely at the thermal paste on the new unit. And now during streaming the fan speed remains fairly constant, and significantly lower in RPM than the death throws of the original unit.

The moral of the story: once your unit goes out of warranty (and presuming you don't have a service agreement on it), treat it like any other desktop computer and do regular maintenance on it. Blow the dust out, check the fans and the power supply, and check the thermal paste on any chips with a fan/heat sink!

- - - Updated - - -

...and I suppose while I'm thinking about it... Anyone aware of any specific motherboard settings that I should check on? The unit is currently running pretty much on the defaults and seems happy enough, but it never hurts to ask.
    James Willing
    Toronto Cowboy Church

I'm curious, were you able to order the motherboard and CPU from somewhere or did you get them from Newtek? I'm not sure what motherboard is used in the 460 and if it's still available. I also have a Tricaster 460, but it was originally a Tricaster 455 that I updated to a Tricaster 460.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast