Thread: End-to-end closed captions support

End-to-end closed captions support

Hello.

Closed captioning for live sporting events is getting more popular, and closer and closer to a federal FCC/ADA mandate for live streaming (currently only mandated for linear over-the-air and cable/satellite broadcasts).
    It's quite unfortunate that no Newtek product currently supports any form of CLOSED captions. Any video source with embedded closed captions has the captions stripped when they enter a Tricaster or a 3Play.
    That means that any captioning has to happen after the video leaves the Tricaster/3Play, and then it cannot be recorded or streamed on those machines.

If I have a live sports broadcast that gets fully captioned (608 708), I cannot use that content to create post-game melts or highlights packages on my 3Play, because the captions will be stripped out.
    That's unfortunate, and makes our equipment less functional.

Since this is 2019, and CC is only going to become more of an issue moving forward, I request that embedded 608 708 captions over SDI and H.264 be supported on Tricaster, 3Play, NDI, etc.

Thanks.

Imry
    Last edited by imryh; 06-05-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Hear hear...
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by imryh View Post
    Hello.

Closed captioning for live sporting events is getting more popular, and closer and closer to a federal FCC/ADA mandate for live streaming (currently only mandated for linear over-the-air and cable/satellite broadcasts).
    It's quite unfortunate that no Newtek product currently supports any form of CLOSED captions. Any video source with embedded closed captions has the captions stripped when they enter a Tricaster or a 3Play.
    That means that any captioning has to happen after the video leaves the Tricaster/3Play, and then it cannot be recorded or streamed on those machines.

If I have a live sports broadcast that gets fully captioned (608 708), I cannot use that content to create post-game melts or highlights packages on my 3Play, because the captions will be stripped out.
    That's unfortunate, and makes our equipment less functional.

Since this is 2019, and CC is only going to become more of an issue moving forward, I request that embedded 608 708 captions over SDI and H.264 be supported on Tricaster, 3Play, NDI, etc.

Thanks.

Imry
    Hi There.

Folks with your concerns will be interested to know there is a proposed standard for C708 closed caption support in NDI called RP-NDI-CC708_2018
    http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndiclosedcaptions.html

This protocol has already been implemented in Sienna NDI Source Multi and NDI Outlet Multi, and has also received support from other NDI product vendors who plan to add support to their own products.

To deal with the issue of losing CC when passing through devices which dont carry it through - Sienna NDI Processing Engine has an NDI Metadata module which can re-merge in Metadata from a source stream - into an NDI Output stream from a non-CC device. In this way its perfectly possible to construct closed caption workflows using NewTek vision mixers, when combined with appropriate technology which supports the RP-NDI-CC708_2018 standard.

In summary - this problem has already been solved, and the solution is available off the shelf.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by livepad; 06-07-2019 at 03:09 AM.