Thread: NDI Audio Only - Assisted Listening

NDI Audio Only - Assisted Listening

An idea that has been with me for a while was for NDI Audio streams, not attached to video, or black video.

I've noticed there are so NDI Audio Monitor applications including one on iOS, but my loose understanding is that they monitor the audio of NDI Video streams and consequently still require the full ~100Mbps to listen over WiFi.

Would Newtek be interested to explore the idea of Assisted Listening via NDI App.
    I see a few potential use cases;
    * Distraction Free Listening at conferences or events so delegates can completely immerse themselves in the content.
    * Quiet conferences, typically these you infrared/wireless headphones similar to silent disco instead of typical PA. Distraction Free Listening and also events that have to take place during working hours in shared/communal spaces.
    * Translation for multilingual audiences, just select the appropriate stream.
    * Event Managers out of the room being able to monitor the event proceedings.

An audio only stream would be quite lite, and reduce the burden on WiFi infrastructure not only for small groups of listeners, but even the full event.

Further development of this could include;
    *Closed Captioning
    *Audience Response / Q&A - every delegate (or almost every) has a microphone on their person, put in a request to speak along with their name and they could be added to a question queue.

I realise this wouldn't necessarily be in Newtek's direct interest to develop the App side of this, but if the framework was there, it could make for some very interesting developments in the live events side of things.

Thanks,

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RossMcIntosh View Post
    An idea that has been with me for a while was for NDI Audio streams, not attached to video, or black video.

I've noticed there are so NDI Audio Monitor applications including one on iOS, but my loose understanding is that they monitor the audio of NDI Video streams and consequently still require the full ~100Mbps to listen over WiFi.
    NDI does support elementary streams, an application can subscribe to the audio without having to receive the video. Most applications are designed for video, so they tend to always expect that video will be selected, but this is not a limitation of NDI, just of how the application is designed.

NewTek NDI Connect, for example, can subscribe to the audio only from a source, and not have any video bandwidth being used.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I am waiting to for the day where a NDI specific comm and announcer solution is developed and released. I suppose any current application that will let you both bring in analog audio and output that as a NDI source could act as a patch.... For example, you could use a free application (maybe OBS) and just send audio down the line right?

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    I am waiting to for the day where a NDI specific comm and announcer solution is developed and released. I suppose any current application that will let you both bring in analog audio and output that as a NDI source could act as a patch.... For example, you could use a free application (maybe OBS) and just send audio down the line right?
    Just a couple minutes after my post, I see this!

https://audinate.com/about/news-acti...link=h-her-act

Hi Ross.

Sienna NDI Audio Monitor for iOS only connects to the audio stream of the NDI Source - so the data rate will be around 1.5mBits/second. This can be connected to NDI Streams which really are audio-only, or NDI Sources which contain video aswell - but either way, only the audio data is actually sent to the iOS devices.
    So it would appear this is precisely what you are looking for.
    Hope this helps.

Would Newtek be interested to explore the idea of Assisted Listening via NDI App.
    I see a few potential use cases;
    * Distraction Free Listening at conferences or events so delegates can completely immerse themselves in the content.
    * Quiet conferences, typically these you infrared/wireless headphones similar to silent disco instead of typical PA. Distraction Free Listening and also events that have to take place during working hours in shared/communal spaces.
    * Translation for multilingual audiences, just select the appropriate stream.
    * Event Managers out of the room being able to monitor the event proceedings.

An audio only stream would be quite lite, and reduce the burden on WiFi infrastructure not only for small groups of listeners, but even the full event.

Further development of this could include;
    *Closed Captioning
    *Audience Response / Q&A - every delegate (or almost every) has a microphone on their person, put in a request to speak along with their name and they could be added to a question queue.

I realise this wouldn't necessarily be in Newtek's direct interest to develop the App side of this, but if the framework was there, it could make for some very interesting developments in the live events side of things.

Thanks,

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    Sienna NDI Audio Monitor for iOS only connects to the audio stream of the NDI Source - so the data rate will be around 1.5mBits/second. This can be connected to NDI Streams which really are audio-only, or NDI Sources which contain video aswell - but either way, only the audio data is actually sent to the iOS devices.
    So it would appear this is precisely what you are looking for.
    Hope this helps.
    I'm guessing this is Mark.
    It's this app that I was referencing specifically.
    Though when I looked at it originally, the app description (while not stating either case specifically) led me to believe that the app was in fact pulling the full stream rather than just the audio specifically because of the same caveat about Stable WiFi or a Wired Connection as per the NDI Monitor for iOS app. While this was my own assumption, it influenced me not to purchase it at the time and instead, write this post.
    I will now immediately purchase the app for my own testing to see how it works out.

That said as another consideration. In the example I gave of assisted listening or translation... If I was to offer this implementation up at an event (hypothetically speaking) using the current app, it would make visible and available all NDI streams which in addition to confusing, would potentially allow delegates to listen in to streams they should not (Comms or Other sources) where as my initial idea would be for them only to see "Published" streams, 1: English, 2: Spanish, : Italian as an example.

Away to buy the app. Thanks for your responses thus far.

It's this app that I was referencing specifically.
    Though when I looked at it originally, the app description (while not stating either case specifically) led me to believe that the app was in fact pulling the full stream rather than just the audio specifically because of the same caveat about Stable WiFi or a Wired Connection as per the NDI Monitor for iOS app. While this was my own assumption, it influenced me not to purchase it at the time and instead, write this post.
    I will now immediately purchase the app for my own testing to see how it works out.

That said as another consideration. In the example I gave of assisted listening or translation... If I was to offer this implementation up at an event (hypothetically speaking) using the current app, it would make visible and available all NDI streams which in addition to confusing, would potentially allow delegates to listen in to streams they should not (Comms or Other sources) where as my initial idea would be for them only to see "Published" streams, 1: English, 2: Spanish, : Italian as an example.

Away to buy the app. Thanks for your responses thus far.
    You could publish all the private streams as 'PRIVATE' group, leaving only the ones you want to share in the standard public NDI group. This would limit what sources the NDI Audio app offers.

I'll check that out, next time I have some time to test.
    I was pretty impressed with the Audio Monitoring app and how well it worked even on a very sketchy WiFi Network for testing.
    On solid architecture I have no reason to doubt it would work well.
    Hmmm, how many people could I convince to download the app to test.

Thanks again.