Thread: 2018.07 hypervoxals

2018.07 hypervoxals

Hi all,

I'm having trouble turning on the hypervoxals in 2018.07

i looked at the manual and did what id says and nothing - turned on legacy and everything.

does anyone know if there is some extra step needed to view a hypervoxal - new or legacy becuase both are not showing up.

thanks
    maybe someone can post a scene with it working?
    [url]https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kn21A[/u-- rl]
    fusion https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
    resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

HVs are only visible in VPR, as you probably know. Here's a quick sample scene done in LW2018.0.7:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HVs_LegacyVolumetrics_LW2018.0.7.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	145142 HV Setup

Name:	HV_LegacyVolumetrics_0000.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	145143 Render

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    Hi all,

I'm having trouble turning on the hypervoxals in 2018.07

i looked at the manual and did what id says and nothing - turned on legacy and everything.

does anyone know if there is some extra step needed to view a hypervoxal - new or legacy becuase both are not showing up.

thanks
    maybe someone can post a scene with it working?
    Really sad they couldnīt provide a better activation of the system.

Two things...

1. You need to activate it in the volumetrics tab under volume intergrator (use legacy volumetrics)
    2. You need to go to items/more window/image processing..there you will have four tabs, backdrop/compositing/legacy volumetrics/processing
    click on legacy volumetric here as well and in the add legacy drop down choose hypervoxels 3 and make sure it also is checked...thatīs it.

hey monroe - thanks it works no problem.

the only thing is - i can't see what the difference was to make it work - werid.

ok thanks for the help, with this i can get it going =)
    [url]https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kn21A[/u-- rl]
    fusion https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
    resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Really sad they couldnīt provide a better activation of the system.

Two things...

1. You need to activate it in the volumetrics tab under volume intergrator (use legacy volumetrics)
    2. You need to go to items/more window/image processing..there you will have four tabs, backdrop/compositing/legacy volumetrics/processing
    click on legacy volumetric here as well and in the add legacy drop down choose hypervoxels 3 and make sure it also is checked...thatīs it.
    Since I use HVs often (I'm still wrestling with how to have good control over shaping the new Volumetrics primitive), one of the various menu layout changes I make with LW2018 / LW2019 is to search for "Hypervoxels" and add it to the FX Tools=>Particles menu:

Name:	AddHVDirectAccess.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	145145

Name:	AddHVDirectAccess_2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	981.0 KB 
ID:	145146

It's unfortunate, IMO, that the "Legacy Volumetrics" rendering button isn't available directly from the HV panel, or automatically set when the HV panel is activated.

mTp

You should Feature Request it, mTp.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Activating buffers for output, then also having to activate them for saving, is a similar situation. Needless extra effort, and a needless extra source of error/failure.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    You should Feature Request it, mTp.

B
    Done.

mTp

I thought it was a bit of a wrong move to make the new Hypervoxels workflow as it is now, had it been in a hypervoxels panel like before, with a simple switch from HV 3 to 4 would have been nice..superfast to change the systems and most welcome since the new system doesnīt replace the old systems functionality with sprites, clips, aplliance on vertices, appliance on weight painted vertices.

That said, the look of the new volumetrics is by far better/realistic....and it letīs you use several clones without freezing render hit like the old hvīs did, the old hvīs doesnīt freeze in the new Lightwave though..as a sidenote.
    The New volumetrics...often faster in some areas, and more realistic and can be made softer, but not as fast to setup and not as smooth to use, what may frustrate me the most..that is the fact that I constantly need to choose the volume item in order to tweak it..when I may need to move other items..so a constant jumping between items, while the older hv UI let me have the module window open and editable per choosen item in the list, while I could stand on and move other scene items..that is not possible anymore with the new volumetrics, best is to have the scene editor opened at all times when working with it to switch between properties in a good way.