Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62

Thread: LW 2019 MAGAZINE REVIEW - 3d WORLD MAG

  1. #46
    I'll say that Houdini, Nuke, Substance and Mocha Pro never crash for us here.

    Adobe's entire line of software are crashtastic, sometimes the programs don't even start.. crashing on load.

    Resolve and Scratch are pretty stable on Mac, but not on Windows.

    Oh.. right.. this is a Lightwave forum. Well, I'll close by saying there's lots to complain about Lightwave, hopefully VizRT will inject some additional resources. However, the 2019 release I found to be a worthy purchase.

    Car analogy time: yes, Lightwave might be like a 2015 Subaru Outback with a CD Player instead of CarPlay and Auto-driving... but it sure feels stable and safe. However, don't leave the front doors open or the under-door lamp will drain that battery fast.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    This Thread Got Lost : One person said thank you.

    Tracked off again into other issues, stand back you

    Wavers! Revaluate: is your glass half full or your glass

    half empty ? Well ? It was mean't to be a lift & pep -up

    posting this for the forum.

    3/4 full. Happy to see the article! Went out and bought a copy.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

  2. #47
    Just a small point of note - with the new LW 2019 render passes feature, I was able to render out any of the data passes without a beauty pass needed. That is outstanding!

    Point of note 2: at present, you CANNOT do this in Maya. You HAVE TO render a beauty pass to get any data passes. https://answers.arnoldrenderer.com/q...ot-beauty.html
    Last edited by beverins; 06-04-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: better wording
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

  3. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by beverins View Post
    Adding more pointlessness to the thread, but where I work Maya crashes way more than LW. Nothing to do with OS, machines or versioning. We've learned to Save As constantly. Not to belittle anyone's opinions or experiences, but... yeah - the grass is just as brown on the other side of the fence in that regard at least.

    I thought the 3D World review was in line with my LW 2019 experience as well. Good program, add to the toolbox.

    Do people argue about brands of power tools like people do 3D software? Just wondering. Are there Makita vs Craftsman flame wars?
    Yes.... throw in the Milwaukee, Riyobi, and DeWalt guys and it's practically armageddon...

    Black and Decker... don't even get me started!

  4. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by beverins View Post
    Just a small point of note - with the new LW 2019 render passes feature, I was able to render out any of the data passes without a beauty pass needed. That is outstanding!
    Not so sure this is true. It always renders a beauty pass, it just won't save it if not desired. Big difference. All it takes is for you to forget to do a desired pass and you'll see that it takes the same amount of render time to get that one needed buffer. (Learned that the hard way. Thank god for the fog depth pass trick to get a depth pass out in record time. )
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  5. #50
    Almost newbie Cageman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Malmö, SWEDEN
    Posts
    7,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Not so sure this is true. It always renders a beauty pass, it just won't save it if not desired. Big difference. All it takes is for you to forget to do a desired pass and you'll see that it takes the same amount of render time to get that one needed buffer. (Learned that the hard way. Thank god for the fog depth pass trick to get a depth pass out in record time. )
    Data-passes generally only should have 1 AA pass, so it makes sense to render them out separate from a beauty, because you can just turn down all samples to 1 (light/gi/aa etc).
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

  6. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    France
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    LW 11 was a far better release with a much larger and wider range of features that addressed both modeler and Layout. I'm including of course 11.5 and 11.6 which were included in the purchase of 11.
    Yes i was impressed by features from LW 11.5 and then i bought it this is my first Lightwave so i love so much

  7. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Data-passes generally only should have 1 AA pass, so it makes sense to render them out separate from a beauty, because you can just turn down all samples to 1 (light/gi/aa etc).
    That makes sense, but then it's a whole 'nother hassle. I'm just glad I rarely do that kind of compositing as I usually just want a depth pass.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  8. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,535
    The German magazine DIGITAL PRODUCTION also featured a multiple page LightWave 2019 review.

    I cannot copy it here due to copyright restrictions but conclusion is that LW2019 is a worthy upgrade for existing users and NewTek is on a good track with the last two versions.

    Personally I found it worth upgrading because of High DPI support, Undo, quick menus (specially combined with the db&w QckPck) and Nvidia Optix denoiser. OpenVDB and other features are still quite behind other products unfortunately.

  9. #54
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    The German magazine DIGITAL PRODUCTION also featured a multiple page LightWave 2019 review.

    I cannot copy it here due to copyright restrictions but conclusion is that LW2019 is a worthy upgrade for existing users and NewTek is on a good track with the last two versions.

    Personally I found it worth upgrading because of High DPI support, Undo, quick menus (specially combined with the db&w QckPck) and Nvidia Optix denoiser. OpenVDB and other features are still quite behind other products unfortunately.
    I have jumped in here and in many other threads with criticism a lot, but if people could follow the status of my Lightwave purchase, they would now that I did in fact upgrade, so I am not criticising with an agenda to be negative or spoil something, and
    it also shows that I find a value in Lightwave, otherwise I would have been complete nutcase for upgrading to 2019 version as I did this year, I did skip the 2018 version though.

  10. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I have jumped in here and in many other threads with criticism a lot, but if people could follow the status of my Lightwave purchase, they would now that I did in fact upgrade, so I am not criticising with an agenda to be negative or spoil something, and
    it also shows that I find a value in Lightwave, otherwise I would have been complete nutcase for upgrading to 2019 version as I did this year, I did skip the 2018 version though.
    I don't think that it's the criticism so much (because most of your points are valid) as the venue.

    If the thread were less of a "hey, Lightwave is finally getting some press again! YAY!" thread, I don't think the reaction from some would have been the same.

    I definitely noticed that you upgraded and I'm glad... because I'm still hoping for some tutorial / preset cloud goodness in the future from you (will pay monies for excellent clouds!).

  11. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I did skip the 2018 version though.
    Real Wavers never skip a version. Now go stand in a corner for 15 minutes.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  12. #57
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Real Wavers never skip a version. Now go stand in a corner for 15 minutes.
    Unfortunately, or lucky from my point of view ...I donīt have any shame in my body at all

  13. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Unfortunately, or lucky from my point of view ...I donīt have any shame in my body at all
    I hear ya.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  14. #59
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,118
    Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    because I'm still hoping for some tutorial / preset cloud goodness in the future from you (will pay monies for excellent clouds!).
    Interesting would you only like Lightwave clouds? or could blender fluid cloud sims, and houdini clouds and terragen clouds be of interest? and there is of course the connection between them ..Lik houdini to Lightwave, and how to do good clouds from meshes/cloudFx/ and also just painting the cloud in houdini and send for good vdb looking clouds in Lightwave.

    I am thinking of putting some stuff up on clouds between these for software to showcase looks and some proīs and cons, later maybe vid tutorial...and perhaps selling content, that could be interesting..the question is what is of most interest? preset scenes, or tutorials..or a package?

    And what kind of clouds are of interest? different types, larger skyscapes or perhaps more hero clouds?

    Currently I am soon quitting my current job, only one week left..then vacation 5 weeks, but then I am free for doing stuff like that, not engaged in any new job yet.

  15. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Interesting would you only like Lightwave clouds? or could blender fluid cloud sims, and houdini clouds and terragen clouds be of interest? and there is of course the connection between them ..Lik houdini to Lightwave, and how to do good clouds from meshes/cloudFx/ and also just painting the cloud in houdini and send for good vdb looking clouds in Lightwave.

    I am thinking of putting some stuff up on clouds between these for software to showcase looks and some proīs and cons, later maybe vid tutorial...and perhaps selling content, that could be interesting..the question is what is of most interest? preset scenes, or tutorials..or a package?

    And what kind of clouds are of interest? different types, larger skyscapes or perhaps more hero clouds?

    Currently I am soon quitting my current job, only one week left..then vacation 5 weeks, but then I am free for doing stuff like that, not engaged in any new job yet.
    For my part, I am interested in native Lightwave clouds; I don't own Houdini and although I have and use Blender, I would like to try to keep as much as possible in Lightwave.

    I would be interested in a package that combined training with presets and scenes and included a variety of cloud types that is focused more on skyscapes, although hero clouds definitely have their uses.

    I've created clouds using VDB in Lightwave, and while they are serviceable, I would like to get more variety and better cloud formations while learning more about their generation and animation.

    Typically I would use stock video for cloud backdrops or composite clouds into a rendered scene using Trapcode, but while that is serviceable, you don't get the same level of realism in the environment. It looks real... but it doesn't feel real. Clients can't really tell the difference in the environment, but I can.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •