Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LW 2019 MAGAZINE REVIEW - 3d WORLD MAG

is it strange that this thread is dominated by (once again) huge criticism on LightWave ?

nope. Zzzzzz...

oh why not, let's celebrate with a LW11.6.2 FiberFX render...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    is it strange that this thread is dominated by (once again) huge criticism on LightWave ?

nope. Zzzzzz...

oh why not, let's celebrate with a LW11.6.2 FiberFX render...

Awwww.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    The new procedural node texture which carries all the procedurals in one node..to make it easier to switch..is a daring attempt, but at the same time you lack invert options and additionally most often need to add invert nodes as opposed to the standard nodes which has built in invert, and this procedural nodes unlike the standard nodes doesnīt have the options to tweak directly..you have to jump in to a third step panel to gain acess to that, and that panel will so easy hide itself behind others if you are not careful.
    The whole node thing could be helped greatly by user defined most frequently used nodes somewhere in the nodal interface. I really liked the layer system and rarely used nodes, but now with 2018,19 I'm really liking the power of the node system and for certain things its way easier. It just needs a favorite list somewhere.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    thats ok 🤗

i can surelt write one to fit newteks needs..for marketing ir better..but then I wouldnt be honest to myself..or anyone else.

if you disregard honest views/reviews ..then thats the way to go and you should not listen to my input...
    I am utterly convinced that you are wrong in rhe sense of "for users sake"

none will gain from reviews that leaves out lesser good stuff..not even newtek...who has customers that deserves
    a true review..if not we are left with B.S

if i write a review..it would be of both bad stuff and good stuff...and lightwave crashed on me many many times as a final chapter...with a remark that it isnt anywhere near the amunt of crashes i had wirt LW 2015.
    not the same as others...ill try to conform
    that will make everyone happy and the weather just fine..everywhere.
    Keep the honest reviews and feedback coming Prometheus ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Keep the honest reviews and feedback coming Prometheus ...
    If no one points out flaws or things that doesnīt work as good as it has potential to do, then what is left is misery and a product that will slowly die, that is why we have criticism, and the hard part is to criticise
    constructively, and that means describing the kind of issue well and itīs flaw, and also sometimes refer to how other software handles just that particular issue, suggestions how it could or should work is also referenced to
    other software.

If users find that negative..without seeing it for what it is, that is not constructive criticism, or else I got the wrong compass for this kind of thing, itīs not impossible either
    itīs not the amount of constructive criticism that in my opinion that deserves to be labeled negative, it depends on what kind of value loaded descriptions you put in to the criticism, if you constantly says..this sucks, this is never going to change etc.
    I myself isnīt pixel perfect..but it isnīt my intent to act out negative with an agenda, and I try to be more specific and constructive in criticism..Itīs a journey.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    you've left out the features added in 11.5 and 11.6 which are part of LW 11.
    Which were?????
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Don't get me wrong... I point out flaws in LW too. And then submit them as bug reports or feature requests, with content, and videos explaining what I did to make it crash, or hang, and then they fix them.

I understand the need to moan, and point out the flaws, but taking over every thread with negativity and pessimism doesn't help. It just makes the forum a sour place to visit.

I try to post more positive things here, and help people who are stuck... maybe try that to vent your frustrations?

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Don't get me wrong... I point out flaws in LW too. And then submit them as bug reports or feature requests, with content, and videos explaining what I did to make it crash, or hang, and then they fix them.

I understand the need to moan, and point out the flaws, but taking over every thread with negativity and pessimism doesn't help. It just makes the forum a sour place to visit.

I try to post more positive things here, and help people who are stuck... maybe try that to vent your frustrations?
    at whom did you aim your answer?

AGREE! You have to wade through tonnes of posts by the same people saying the same thing before you get to anything useful/inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    You only have to compare the value you get for your money. And 11 offered much more in terms of what you paid and what you received.

You can already spend more money now and get more features in other software choices. But I thought we were talking about LW specifically here.
    Well... first off all... the new shading system in LW which brings the renderer on par with other render engines such as Arnold and Mantra was worth the update to LW2018, alone. The rest of the features are just a bonus, in my eyes.

Secondly, the goodwill from NT/LW3DG, was always a bit too good. I knew that, at some point, that had to change. And now it has, and I put my money where my mouth is; I will continue to support LW3DG becase I really like using LW.

LW2019... The Unreal bridge... for those that had moved over to use Unreal as an offline renderengine/game engine... that bridge is probably worth the $350 upgrade alone. CTRL+Space; a small thing, but way too useful. Thing is, I see lots of value in what LW3DG have developed so far since LW2018.

So, I will wait for LW2020 and LW2021 and see of those $1050 are worth it. So far, I have not been displeased with where LW is going.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Davinci resolve never crashes on me...there you go, and I canīt recall fusion doing so either.
    I'm using Resolve Studio 15 and Fusion 9.
    Using Resolve on this very moment (Fusion tab) for its mp4 Loader (Fusion 9 refuses my mp4 files), DeltaKeyer, CleanPlate, ColorCorrector and (on the Color tab) its amazing DNR.

I can confirm that Resolve is quite stable but it does have issues.

- With DNR turned on in the Color tab, the Fusion timeline becomes unstable and Resolve is entirely dead, Win10 is dead -> power button!

- Copy/Paste Fusion nodes between Clips is impossible. You need to start over again per clip. This is not very productive when chroma shots and CC's are similar.

- Double or single click or dragging an Effect to the Fusion Nodes viewport seems inconsistent, sometimes non-functional, sometimes it does it twice. Better not use this method and use the classic Fusion method to add nodes.

- Zoom/pan in Fusion tab viewport is different from viewport in Color tab. Shortcuts (Fit, Zoom 100%, ...) are different or absent compared to Fusion 9.

- Editing clips on the Resolve timeline makes me cry for editing in Vegas Pro 14 again with its predictable/intuitive Pan and Zoom/Center of the timeline events. Some features of the Propellerheads Reason timeline are better -> Newtek/BMD/Magix should learn from them and each other. (For me, color correction in Fusion is much better than Vegas, and the YRGB CC in Resolve is even better than Fusion 9. I think it's worth the detour.)

Which were?????

Bullet softbodies
    cloth
    forces
    fiberfx working with softbodies
    fiberfx bundling
    new editing style guides
    After Effects Interchange
    MDD Multi-loader
    ABF UV unwrap
    edit edges
    transform tool
    heat shrink
    thicken
    place mesh
    tweak tool
    Genoma/Rig Presets
    Virtual Studio
    DOF in VPR
    Node Edge Rendering
    Motion Blur in VPR
    Predator/prey behavior in flocking
    Per Object control/copy paste functions in Instancing
    Dome light image maps
    Center speed curves
    Surface editor paste options
    Motion Path options
    Spline Control
    Raycast node
    3D printing export
    New Color picker
    CgFX shaders
    Alembic support
    DPX support
    Faster VPR interaction
    Python improvements
    Compound Nodes
    Stereo Camera offsets
    Motion Vectors for instances
    Nvidia 3D vision/Pro

at whom did you aim your answer?
    No one in particular, not you anyway... just in general the negativity in here can be a bit stifling.
    I'm not being abusive, or picking on individuals. It makes for a miserable environment, despite loads of cool people doing cool work using LW, it always seems to focus on the negative around here

It could be much nicer if people just got on with work, and showed neat work that's all.

BUT... we're going round in circles... I'm out.
    Last edited by lardbros; 06-04-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

thats ok 🤗

if i write a review..it would be of both bad stuff and good stuff...and lightwave crashed on me many many times as a final chapter...with a remark that it isnt anywhere near the amunt of crashes i had wirt LW 2015.
    Adding more pointlessness to the thread, but where I work Maya crashes way more than LW. Nothing to do with OS, machines or versioning. We've learned to Save As constantly. Not to belittle anyone's opinions or experiences, but... yeah - the grass is just as brown on the other side of the fence in that regard at least.

I thought the 3D World review was in line with my LW 2019 experience as well. Good program, add to the toolbox.

Do people argue about brands of power tools like people do 3D software? Just wondering. Are there Makita vs Craftsman flame wars?
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    LW 2019 REVIEW- by 3d WORLD MAGAZINE

( still a little luv out there, so disseminate this )

Attachment 145140

Shown by Kind Permission of the Editor.
    Attachment 145141

This Thread Got Lost : One person said thank you.

Tracked off again into other issues, stand back you

Wavers! Revaluate: is your glass half full or your glass

half empty ? Well ? It was mean't to be a lift & pep -up

posting this for the forum.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast