Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LW 2019 MAGAZINE REVIEW - 3d WORLD MAG

LW 2019 MAGAZINE REVIEW - 3d WORLD MAG

LW 2019 REVIEW- by 3d WORLD MAGAZINE

( still a little luv out there, so disseminate this )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dworld review copy 4 For SUNDAY LW3dFORUM Up.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	145140

Shown by Kind Permission of the Editor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dworld mail logo.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	145141

I think that's a fair review really.
    I personally still love using LightWave, it brings me more joy than frustration, and nice to see a positive review. Still think what they achieved with 2019 was quite underrated really... It's quite an impressive feature list, especially when compared to previous years.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Blog Entries
    I had no idea 3D Artist reviewed LW2019.

I agree with Lardbros on all counts, but I guess the point about it being underrated is really down to NT's marketing.

Thanks for sharing this with those of us who no longer buy print. It's appreciated.

I still get 3D World, but go through phases of considering cancelling my subscription as LW hasn't been mentioned or reviewed for what feels like years.
    This review, which is balanced and fair has probably delayed my cancellation! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    I personally still love using LightWave, it brings me more joy than frustration, and nice to see a positive review. Still think what they achieved with 2019 was quite underrated really... It's quite an impressive feature list, especially when compared to previous years.
    Agreed, i think the problem is underselling and promotion. Look at your average film, $150 Million budget and then another $50 on advertising, promotion and such.

LWG3D really need to sort all this out before releasing it. The videos, manual, content and everything, should not only be functional but also wow people. 2019 was a solid release but they did not spend enough time really pushing what it could do.
    Most of the content in 2019 was from 2018.

Look at the presets, yes there are some but not so much and some of the preset system has nothing.

For me personally the killer now is modeler, it is getting to far behind the curve and has always been to destructive.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 06-02-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Yup

I totally agree with the review. I think Lightwave 2019 is a good upgrade building on what was laid out in LW 2018 and it works really well for the kind of work I do in 3D!
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

For me the review feels like a short intro, and not any deeper review which would give more value to the whole review.
    Unbelievable that Lightwave hasnīt crashed once on him, and how much did he use it...I can count countless times ..how that now adds up

The first Column discuss the general look of lightwave as it always has been with icons, and a little more on nodes, but how is that much different from previous versions, the workflow of working within the UI has both been improved and in some areas ..gotten worse.

Second column recognizes the VDB tools, and I sort of agree..a nice addition, but some tools could use enhancements, will see, further the column starts discussing the bridge to Unreal engine.

The third column just gives praise to Lightwave as starting to feel new again, and not crashing once.

Maybe I am not fair in reference to this review, I felt it was too thin for Anyone to make a good decision on allure more people to Lightwave for what it is, of course it was a 2019 review..and honestly, the upgrade itself felt a bit thin.
    I should do a reveiw myself perhaps..still testing and testing though.

Small things are in there like new context aware search menus, it was horrible if you had many scene items and had created a camera target, and trying to find your null for targeting of the camera..way down in a list in the end, now you just have to start typing camera and target and it will popup to choose much easier...surely a plus in workflow, tiny things but good.

The VDB tools is nice and exiting, I just hope they donīt stop workin on it...things like adding advection noise to a converted mesh to volume is needed, simulating it as it needed now is too slow, In houdini you do not
    have to simulate with velocity noise advection, it can be done directly static.

I also would like to see a Volume to VDB volume converter, that isnīt there..only mesh to volume, and shape to volume, this would add another level of flexibility ..letting you create your hero clouds for instance with Lightwave, but due to lack of other realistic sky phenomena, or lack of GPU speed for rendering of volumes..you could instead send that VDB to blender with faster renders, or send it to Vue for special design clouds.
    Ultimately I would like to see Terragen get this import function of vdb volumes, right now they are working on the opposite just as I refer to what Lightwave should have, a volume to VDB volume export..clouds from Terragen should be there for VDB Export.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    For me the review feels like a short intro, and not any deeper review which would give more value to the whole review.
    Unbelievable that Lightwave hasnīt crashed once on him, and how much did he use it...I can count countless times ..how that now adds up

The first Column discuss the general look of lightwave as it always has been with icons, and a little more on nodes, but how is that much different from previous versions, the workflow of working within the UI has both been improved and in some areas ..gotten worse.

Second column recognizes the VDB tools, and I sort of agree..a nice addition, but some tools could use enhancements, will see, further the column starts discussing the bridge to Unreal engine.

The third column just gives praise to Lightwave as starting to feel new again, and not crashing once.

Maybe I am not fair in reference to this review, I felt it was too thin for Anyone to make a good decision on allure more people to Lightwave for what it is, of course it was a 2019 review..and honestly, the upgrade itself felt a bit thin.
    I should do a reveiw myself perhaps..still testing and testing though.

Small things are in there like new context aware search menus, it was horrible if you had many scene items and had created a camera target, and trying to find your null for targeting of the camera..way down in a list in the end, now you just have to start typing camera and target and it will popup to choose much easier...surely a plus in workflow, tiny things but good.

The VDB tools is nice and exiting, I just hope they donīt stop workin on it...things like adding advection noise to a converted mesh to volume is needed, simulating it as it needed now is too slow, In houdini you do not
    have to simulate with velocity noise advection, it can be done directly static.

I also would like to see a Volume to VDB volume converter, that isnīt there..only mesh to volume, and shape to volume, this would add another level of flexibility ..letting you create your hero clouds for instance with Lightwave, but due to lack of other realistic sky phenomena, or lack of GPU speed for rendering of volumes..you could instead send that VDB to blender with faster renders, or send it to Vue for special design clouds.
    Ultimately I would like to see Terragen get this import function of vdb volumes, right now they are working on the opposite just as I refer to what Lightwave should have, a volume to VDB volume export..clouds from Terragen should be there for VDB Export.

Wow... the upgrade felt a little thin? Compared to what? 3ds Max???
    Have you seen the 3ds max update for 2020? It's so thin it hurts.

LightWave 2019 had:
    - VDB Tools
    - Edge Shader
    - Patina Shader
    - All the shader construction nodes!
    - Unreal Bridge
    - FBX Interchange tool
    - HiDPI Support
    - UI Improvements like neater splines in node editor and the 'Tidy Nodes' thing... also the big popup searchable menus.
    - Nvidia Optix Denoiser

I don't even think I've included everything, but I seriously wonder what you'd be happy with if you think that is thin on the ground
    Please think of the developers sometimes when you post things like the above... they bust a gut to try and please the users, but comments like that just deflates all of their hard work. And they DO visit the forums.
    Not trying to dish any dirt, but just be a bit aware of the things you say. Yes, it's just your opinion, but it's all too easy to kick a dog while it's down...when actually, the LightWave 2019 release was far better than any other release we've had... for a decade.
    Last edited by lardbros; 06-03-2019 at 05:10 AM.

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    I had no idea 3D Artist reviewed LW2019.

I agree with Lardbros on all counts, but I guess the point about it being underrated is really down to NT's marketing.

Thanks for sharing this with those of us who no longer buy print. It's appreciated.
    I totally agree about the marketing thing... NewTek are renowned for their poor marketing strategies for LW, and 2019 was a little bit better than previous efforts, but again... not good enough.
    None of the newbies we get here at work have ever heard of LW, but they constantly bang on about Blender and that's all down to good marketing and enthused users.

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

I still chuckle with pleasure when I press Ctrl+Space.

Next step: multi-track timelines, like a proper NLE/DAW timeline.
    To isolate groups of 3D Items and their animations, or to add animations on top of other tracks.
    Including the mundaine Mute, Solo, Level/Transparency, and Speed controls.

Yes, it's just your opinion, but it's all too easy to kick a dog while it's down...when actually, the LightWave 2019 release was far better than any other release we've had... for a decade.

LW 11 was a far better release with a much larger and wider range of features that addressed both modeler and Layout. I'm including of course 11.5 and 11.6 which were included in the purchase of 11.

I agree with lardbros point about features. Look at the feature list for Max or indeed Maya, not exactly overwhelming is it, so much so many in the AD forums are sounding off on this. Remind me again how much is the yearly license and maintenance for either of these.

I think 2019 was a solid release, as indeed was 2018 and an upgrade is not so expensive compared to others and you own the software with 99 render nodes as well and no maintenance fees.

Is LW where we all wish it were, no not really, but it is going in the right direction, abeit a little slowly for my liking.

For me its modeler that really needs an overhaul and to be honest we are going to have to visit the whole code and Layout/Modeler integration to make Modeler as good as layout now.

I hope that the next release will address modelers short comings and especially the destructive nature of it when using bevels, cuts and booleans.

If that is addressed in 2020 then i will update, if its not then i would find it hard to justify updating. I use modeler a lot but only because its what i am used too and i use LWCad a lot in my workflow.
    However i find myself more and more going outside modeler to model certain things. Some things like sculpting is not surprising and for that ZB is hard to beat, but now things like hard surface modeling i find better in Blender and export to LW to carry on.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Have you seen the 3ds max update for 2020? It's so thin it hurts.

LightWave 2019 had:
    - VDB Tools
    - Edge Shader
    - Patina Shader
    - All the shader construction nodes!
    - Unreal Bridge
    - FBX Interchange tool
    - HiDPI Support
    - UI Improvements like neater splines in node editor and the 'Tidy Nodes' thing... also the big popup searchable menus.
    - Nvidia Optix Denoiser

I don't even think I've included everything, but I seriously wonder what you'd be happy with if you think that is thin on the ground
    Please think of the developers sometimes when you post things like the above... they bust a gut to try and please the users, but comments like that just deflates all of their hard work. And they DO visit the forums.
    Not trying to dish any dirt, but just be a bit aware of the things you say. Yes, it's just your opinion, but it's all too easy to kick a dog while it's down...when actually, the LightWave 2019 release was far better than any other release we've had... for a decade.
    Lardbros, please understand..No other than I can comment on what I have for expression on what I feel it to bee, I may be right or wrong...that is open for discussion, I do not see my comment as disrespectful, it is what it is..meaning that not every release
    may have that much features or work on it.

I wont even answer you on what I would need to make me happy...that is too many topics to cover and serves no function right now.

I do not compare to 3d max, I compare to previous releases of Lightwave.

If the Lightwave team doesnīt have a harder skin than being offended by a user that commenting on a certain release seemed a bit thin from his perspective so that they should feel it deflates their hard work, they should consider wether or not
    they feel it to be true by themself and if I really have valid points for it, if not..disregard it, But if ever so valid..they should work harder.

As for 2019 to be the best upgrade so far, it is your opinion..not mine, and it will differ among us all.

The lack of modeling enhancement..a few only, or modeling in Layout is a huge part of being thin.

Blog Entries
    I mean no disrespect to you Prometheus, but I honestly think that NT, LW3DG and LW users are very fortunate that 3D Artist didn't commission you to review LW 2019 for their readers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast