Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LW 2019 MAGAZINE REVIEW - 3d WORLD MAG

Yeah what are you thinking Prometheus, you know you're not allowed to have your own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    I mean no disrespect to you Prometheus, but I honestly think that NT, LW3DG and LW users are very fortunate that 3D Artist didn't commission you to review LW 2019 for their readers.
    thats ok 🤗

i can surelt write one to fit newteks needs..for marketing ir better..but then I wouldnt be honest to myself..or anyone else.

if you disregard honest views/reviews ..then thats the way to go and you should not listen to my input...
    I am utterly convinced that you are wrong in rhe sense of "for users sake"

none will gain from reviews that leaves out lesser good stuff..not even newtek...who has customers that deserves
    a true review..if not we are left with B.S

if i write a review..it would be of both bad stuff and good stuff...and lightwave crashed on me many many times as a final chapter...with a remark that it isnt anywhere near the amunt of crashes i had wirt LW 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Yeah what are you thinking Prometheus, you know you're not allowed to have your own opinion.
    not the same as others...ill try to conform
    that will make everyone happy and the weather just fine..everywhere.

LW10 was released Dec 30, 2010

LW11 was released Feb 20, 2012
    LW11.5 was released Jan 30, 2013
    LW11.6 was released Nov 1, 2013

LW2018 was released Jan 1, 2018
    LW2019 was released Jan x, 2019

Before I draw any conlcusions and start to compare LW11.x release schedule vs time and features, I want to see what LW2020 and LW2021 holds, because that should move us into a similar 3 year schedule that was LW11.x.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Frequenter
    Regarding crashes:
    2019 is really stable for me so far. I am using it since it came out on both Win10 and Win7 (using it locally on my desk and also remote) - Right now for the sixth day in a row from 10 am through - some of these - days 2 am the next day. During this period no crash on either system.
    But maybe I am not torturing it enough, who knows... I am mostly doing vanilla stuff at the moment. So: no hair, no vdb at the moment, Iīd love to test those but just havenīt had the time to play much for a while...
    I had a time a few weeks ago where I had to use Metamorphic a lot for terrain and weighting stuff over the course of the better part of three weeks and canīt really remember 2019.0.3 crashing on me...
    On the opposite: I have fusion (9) and resolve (15) on the same Win10 machine which crash a ton... So, I believe, circumstances vary a lot...

irt other features: well, yes, room for improvement (plenty...) but overall 2019 for me was a big step forward and I actually enjoy working with it. Hell, ctrl-space bar alone... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post

Before I draw any conlcusions and start to compare LW11.x release schedule vs time and features, I want to see what LW2020 and LW2021 holds, because that should move us into a similar 3 year schedule that was LW11.x.

Sounds absolutely fair enough, Currently I donīt think I could do a good enough review with justice considering the little time I have spent with it, and not testing enough of the new features as well.
    And as I said..even though It is my impression that it is a thin release, it may have justificed causes..if that is the case in the opinions eye that is.

Lightwave 2015 24 Nov 2014

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Regarding crashes:
    2019 is really stable for me so far. I am using it since it came out on both Win10 and Win7 (using it locally on my desk and also remote) - Right now for the sixth day in a row from 10 am through - some of these - days 2 am the next day. During this period no crash on either system.
    But maybe I am not torturing it enough, who knows... I am mostly doing vanilla stuff at the moment. So: no hair, no vdb at the moment, Iīd love to test those but just havenīt had the time to play much for a while...
    I had a time a few weeks ago where I had to use Metamorphic a lot for terrain and weighting stuff over the course of the better part of three weeks and canīt really remember 2019.0.3 crashing on me...
    On the opposite: I have fusion (9) and resolve (15) on the same Win10 machine which crash a ton... So, I believe, circumstances vary a lot...

irt other features: well, yes, room for improvement (plenty...) but overall 2019 for me was a big step forward and I actually enjoy working with it. Hell, ctrl-space bar alone... ;-)
    Hair and VDB is where it crashes often, and thatīs where I spent a bit of time, there is long standing crashing with certain procedural texture layers if you change textures in a certain setup..that has been
    from 11.6 I think..so if anyone says no crashes, it is most probable that the reviewer doesnīt try certain things, and only try it biased from his point of interest or needs..or the reviewer just happened to find a rare example of Lightwave that is a bit different in code, or his hardware is top notch match for Lightwave..or the reviewer just donīt do stuff such as plug nodes in to slots they donīt belong to.
    Did I miss anything?

Davinci resolve never crashes on me...there you go, and I canīt recall fusion doing so either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post

You only have to compare the value you get for your money. And 11 offered much more in terms of what you paid and what you received.

You can already spend more money now and get more features in other software choices. But I thought we were talking about LW specifically here.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    LW 11 was a far better release with a much larger and wider range of features that addressed both modeler and Layout. I'm including of course 11.5 and 11.6 which were included in the purchase of 11.
    Thatīs the one I think was quite good as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    not the same as others...ill try to conform
    that will make everyone happy and the weather just fine..everywhere.
    LOL.

No, you are correct in expressing your honest opinion and I for one appreciate and respect you for holding true to your beliefs in such a dignified and respectful manner regardless of whether others disagree with them. It shows you have a true mature and adult mindset (one that's all too rare these days).

I think you're right again that the reviewer really shouldn't have pointed out that LW2019 didn't crash on him, since that is dependent on so many factors that it could be very misleading. I guess that's the problem with reviews though, they are all very highly subjective.

Thanks for staying honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    LOL.

No, you are correct in expressing your honest opinion and I for one appreciate and respect you for holding true to your beliefs in such a dignified and respectful manner regardless of whether others disagree with them. It shows you have a true mature and adult mindset (one that's all too rare these days).

I think you're right again that the reviewer really shouldn't have pointed out that LW2019 didn't crash on him, since that is dependent on so many factors that it could be very misleading. I guess that's the problem with reviews though, they are all very highly subjective.

Thanks for staying honest.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Lardbros, please understand..No other than I can comment on what I have for expression on what I feel it to bee, I may be right or wrong...that is open for discussion, I do not see my comment as disrespectful, it is what it is..meaning that not every release
    may have that much features or work on it.

I wont even answer you on what I would need to make me happy...that is too many topics to cover and serves no function right now.

I do not compare to 3d max, I compare to previous releases of Lightwave.

If the Lightwave team doesnīt have a harder skin than being offended by a user that commenting on a certain release seemed a bit thin from his perspective so that they should feel it deflates their hard work, they should consider wether or not
    they feel it to be true by themself and if I really have valid points for it, if not..disregard it, But if ever so valid..they should work harder.

As for 2019 to be the best upgrade so far, it is your opinion..not mine, and it will differ among us all.

The lack of modeling enhancement..a few only, or modeling in Layout is a huge part of being thin.
    I'm not saying what would make you happy, in terms of which exact features would mean you wouldn't be so negative around here... but what would make you happy in terms of the sheer amount of features and additions to LightWave? How many features does it take?

Yeah, modeller improvements would make me very happy too, it really would...no discussion against that at all.

LightWave 11 features, although kind of neat... I can't see a huge disparity in what we got then, versus what we got in 2019.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	34 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	145147

I'm not saying any of this because I think your view isn't valid... it is very valid, and so is your opinion, and I'm happy to discuss anything. It's just a bit unfair to say it was a bit thin on features because they weren't tailored to what you were wanted. In your case, it was thin because modelling wasn't in Layout.
    In my case, I desperately wanted edge shaders, much more control over my PBR shaders (which no one seems to talk about, it's an AWESOME feature!!!), UE4 Bridge and the denoiser and some neat UI treatments... and that's what I got I guess. Maybe I'm easily pleased, but I use many of these things every day. I've used bullet probably twice for actual work, and although cool, I rarely use it. I've never used flocking either, apart from messing around.

The features we got in 2019, I use constantly. Edge shader, which works very very well, I use nearly every day when rendering in LW. Also the wear and tear shader, Patina... it's great, and easy to use.
    I've also used the mesh to volume stuff for actual work too.

Anyway, we can differ in opinions, I'm not attacking you... just trying to portray the opposing point of view, that's all.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    LightWave 11 features, although kind of neat... I can't see a huge disparity in what we got then, versus what we got in 2019.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	34 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	145147
    you've left out the features added in 11.5 and 11.6 which are part of LW 11.

One thing I could review about is workflow changes..and a bit of lack of getting access to the basic things, it goes from a bump map texture options directly in PBR material, a direct creation of nodes could be done I think by having that, if you want the nodes you enter them, but otherwise pbr is open for tweaks in first step UI (surface panel) second step is node panel) this is also how blender does it with a better connection when you add images or such in a surface and have them create and connect in nodes as well.

New volumetrics, lesser (longer setup)accessability when it comes to hypertexture just to get something going..you have to go through panel 1 to panel2 in order to get it working unlike the old hvs.

And metamorphic, itīs cool..but I can not review itīs full functionality or speed etc since I havenīt used it enough, but as for acess as I was talking about, they are not making it easier for a newbie in 3d or other software users acustomed to look for a sculpt tool, you wont find it anywhere accept for adding it in the propepties panel of the item, it is too hidden.

Now I have gone from MY perspective of things looking a bit thin..though some seems to agree with me on that, to what worries me quite a lot..the workflow changes and how things now needs to go through various panels in many many steps and nodes.

The new procedural node texture which carries all the procedurals in one node..to make it easier to switch..is a daring attempt, but at the same time you lack invert options and additionally most often need to add invert nodes as opposed to the standard nodes which has built in invert, and this procedural nodes unlike the standard nodes doesnīt have the options to tweak directly..you have to jump in to a third step panel to gain acess to that, and that panel will so easy hide itself behind others if you are not careful.
    There may be valid re
    asons for the procedural node to behave like this and it may be difficult to try and solve it so it acts more like old nodes, but when I see a pattern of these kind of worklow issues, I get a bit worried that a part of what made Lightwave special is slowly being erased in to a workflow of too many steps to access functions.

I maybe be short of praising the good stuff, I could probably improve on that, but itīs sort of the nature for me to point out where there is obstacles for others to take note on what could be improved, that may however not be a proper review ..just a rant of what I would like to see improved.

If I am not wrong, I think metamorphic needs a way to freeze a subdivision object in a direct freeze subdiv modifier and directly being able to continue to sculpt, otherwise ..sculpting with a subdiv modifier is slow..same in blender ..but blender has a better way of just commit the subdiv modifier and continue to sculpt, than Lightwave that seem to need Freeze trans object, and the object replace it.

That said, great that they have introduced it..and works nice with displacement maps and scene context landscape sculpting to a certain resolution density.

Metamorphic is an interesting and promising addition, Mark Warner made a tute about painting in with weight maps that connects with instances...now, you can do the same with metamorphic and painting in the Old Hypervoxels, if you add hv particles to the objects geometry tab and then set a weight map from there, you can paint in snow, blood or other stuff so while you are painting..the hypervoxels is there showing at the same time for each stroke you make, I do not know how good it works for animated paint though..It didnīt last long before Lightwave crashed..probably because I painted with vpr active directly.

I think Ivé gone too far off topic though.

Name:	weight paint hypervoxels.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	145149

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast