Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me decide

Please help me decide

Hi! I know this is a Newtek forum and maybe the people are inpartial, but i want to try. I want to buy a TC1 for live productions, 4 sdi cameras and maximum 6 NDI cameras, i want to make replays, streaming, record in all box, and i stayed hours and hours to see on Youtube how it works, and i findid a video https://youtu.be/Za52cNsnZhM
    Please see it, on the video are saying a lot of negative things. Tell me what is the true please. Another way would be to buy switcher, encoder, etc. each device alone.

You will find a lot of threads around here some more recent on the TC1. My experience is somewhat similar to them. Most of the issues I have been able to work out with the dev team but not without a lot of my hours and some frustrated clients. I have also had a number of events go perfectly fine utilizing most of the features. I would say the current build is the most stable I have used over the last year.

But from your experience should work with 4 hd sdi and 6 ndi connections? Graphics, streaming, record, reply? And this video is 2 weeks old. Should I buy another solution?
    Last edited by kencee; 06-02-2019 at 12:12 PM.

I use it for 3-4 SDI camera, usually streaming to 1 or more destinations with ISO recording of 4 inputs for replay. I only use NDI for my graphics at this time. I do have a birddog that I use to bring in laptops as a source from time to time but my main cameras are SDI. Note that my understanding is that NDI inputs are not able to be recorded yet. With NDI 4 my understanding is that will change. This would mean that for your current desire you would need to put the NDI sources to an SDI out in order to ISO record them on the TC1 as it stands today. There are 4 outputs on the TC1 so you have to use 3 of your SDI out to record 3 raw NDI cameras. This may or may not be an issue depending if you wanted to do clean feeds (no DSKs) out of the system. I recommend people try (rent/demo) anything that costs this much and test it with their work flow or work with a re-seller/integrator that has done specifically what you are looking to do.

Thank u! It seems i need to try it...

I, myself, and many client I know are using more than 4 SDI and 6 NDI inputs combined. While I do not know the exact details of the issues this client ran into, I highly believe that they have unresolved networking issues going on causing problems for NDI to operate as it should.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

If I put a gigabit switch should work for 6 NDI? Or I need 10g switch? U sayed that u work over 6 ndi and sdi, but u can have graphics, streaming, recording and replay in same time?

Quote Originally Posted by kencee View Post
    If I put a gigabit switch should work for 6 NDI? Or I need 10g switch? U sayed that u work over 6 ndi and sdi, but u can have graphics, streaming, recording and replay in same time?
    A gigabit connection can handle up to eight 1080i NDI feeds at once without issue.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I wanted to comment on this also as a TD that directs on multiple Newtek machines and I also own my own personal Tricaster. I strongly recommend you document from start to finish what your plan is for production. If you are very heavy in NDI then you are going to want a Switcher that can align with that signal flow. I do however agree a little with the risk you take using one machine to do the switching, streaming, recording and output. I would suggest maybe doing looking at having at least backup in place for one or more of these things. Maybe use a separate PC to stream. As a switcher, I love working with a TC1! I TD at 3 different colleges on these and my own personal system. In these situations we have a 3 Play and do only a master recording with our TC1. We encode over a external device as well.

We have had some real cool NDI moments. Recently we worked a high level pro sporting event where a CBS truck feed 8 ISO feeds via fiber from our dock back to the NCIO (Newtek's 8 channel SDI to NDI converter). I was able to just pull those sources in and place each one of those inputs wherever I want. Everyone loves NDI for one reason or another, but my favorite reason is being able to get rid of all the routers, DAs, duplicators, scalers etc. Then to consider this technology has only been around for a handful of years.

Just remember that each switcher has its positives and negatives. Tricasters are very much a Swiss army knife that can do many different things but not always the best solution for every production.

Newtek ELITE partner
    Hi there.
    I may add some of my personal experience using the TC1.
    We most of the time have a 12 inputs configuration using SDI, NDI and NDIhx. We managed several outputs to live venue projectors, confidence monitors and full screen cameras live mixing.
    We use cheap Netgear switches with Poe+ ports, and, once correctly managed, we haven't seen any troubles with that workflow.
    TC1 is, according to me, the most cost effective tool you could buy to get most of the things done.
    Ddr are powerful, and the MEs are incredibly effective too
    We used to work with "standard" SDI mixers, and since we bring in a tricaster and a nc1io, they most of the time stay at the Depot.
    Concerning the iso recording, we always record all our sources for multicam editing, and I have to say this is extremely functional. We never had troubles recording 8 sources.

I try to stay impartial here, just really impressed by both NDI and the TC1.
    Once you've tasted, you can't change.
    Best
    TriCaster TC-1
    TC1 LP
    NC1 I/O
    Spark HDMI / SDI
    Spark Pro
    HE130 Panasonic
    PTZ1 Newtek
    Livestream Studio Station (8i/10o)
    Xkeys
    BMD atems

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    We have had some real cool NDI moments. (Snip) Tricasters are very much a Swiss army knife that can do many different things but not always the best solution for every production.
    Quote Originally Posted by loic CAREPROD View Post
    I try to stay impartial here, just really impressed by both NDI and the TC1.
    Once you've tasted, you can't change.
    Best
    No-one would claim that I am unbiased, though I try to be (I don't work in Marketing, and am much more concerned with accuracy than a sale), but I really like the two comments above. Once you've used NDI, there's just no going back. Way too many things are either impossible, clumsy, complicated, time-consuming, or expensive without it.

And I also had the Swiss Army Knife in mind; my wife has one, and it's got a lot of different tools. I imagine it would be quite impossible to use them all at once, and even through TriCaster does so pretty doggone well, I expect that one could sometimes overload it by cranking up everything it offers at once. A little reasonableness and testing goes a long way, and at times it may be wise to invest in either redundancy or single-purpose devices to supplement it. Even so, TriCaster offers by far the best bang for the buck, imho.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Steve I will add this, with NDI being implemented in so many different ways and with so many different companies you can test many aspects of your production and work flow before even having to purchase a switcher. For example, you can download the free NDI tools kit and start sending and receiving signals now. Same things with certain other NDI devices like cameras, computers, or converters like Spark, Birddog or Kiloview. The challenge of NDI is getting the signals on the network, not really getting them to do what you want in the switcher. I suppose that many of the issues they were facing in the video was understanding limits and requirements of doing video over NDI.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    I suppose that many of the issues they were facing in the video was understanding limits and requirements of doing video over NDI.
    Being perfectly honest, I haven't watched the video, but I do know some of the background to the matter (having been involved a few times on the periphery), and I would certainly not suggest that we were entirely blameless. Some will recall that we ran into a particularly pernicious bug about this time last year, which took much longer than usual to resolve. That was a factor, if memory serves, but regardless this became something of a hairball despite the best efforts of some good people. Sometimes you're windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thank u for all! I will take Tc1, i think somehow i will manage NDI. I used switchers with SDI many years, now i want to make my own truck for live productions. I hope it will be good this choice. Another question is the Tc1 base bundle comes with some graphics? Can i use like or do i need to buy the LiveText software too? I need basic graphics for names, at sports, concerts.
    And anybody knows with what kind of hardware comes Tc1 like memory, processor?

TC1 includes a large number of prepared title and graphic templates, but also includes an integrated copy of LiveText you can use to prepare your own. (In addition, with a Premium Access membership, you can also import Photoshop files and convert these to live-editable title pages).

NewTek does not publish hardware details, although they are not hard to find really. Rather, we encourage you to think of your TriCaster as a live production 'appliance'. You don't concern yourself with the details of the hardware in another brand of video mixer, the type of cpu used in your car's electronics, or the specifics of the compressor in a refrigerator, all of which - like TriCaster's specs - are subject to change from time to time during the life of a model.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast