Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worm

Worm

I'm a bit of a newb to modelling. I need to make a worm (well actually a bunch but once I get one...)

I figured how hard could it be, make a cylinder, slap on a texture and maybe a bump map, grab a genoma spine to animate and voila!

Well, it is not quite so easy to make it good. I'm trying to make a worm like in the image

Any suggestions on how to approach this task?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Written-Synopsis-SuperNova-copy_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	145115  

TrueArt Support
    You could make cylinder, with many segments, enable Stretch tool, enable Falloff, adjust Falloff settings to the right one, and click somewhere in the middle gives something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worm.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	370.7 KB 
ID:	145116

Then modify each segment (select two polys on each segment, and select loop, then some procedure to make it bolder locally).

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Thats not a worm, its a millipede... However, assuming a worm is what you want, then yes, a cylinder is basically it... the rest is texturing. You could model in some of the segmentation detail, but tbh its mostly unnecessary.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Yes, I did notice the little legs but I think I can dispense with them. I just want a worm that has that look. I first experimented along the lines that Sensie suggested (using ring/loop to shrink poly rings) but thought that would require mucho time and then I'd have to deal with getting the look anyway.

Finding a texture that gives me that look is proving to be a challenge. I'm debating whether I might be able to photoshop that image and then clone out the ring areas to make the texture but the curve in it might make that a challenge. I was also toying with the idea of making the model have the same curve and then pasting the curved cut out image on to the model but I'm not quite sure that would work or how to actually achieve that.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Do some research on the creature to find more textures; then, find a straight section to clone it in a straight line to go on your creature. A uv map would be great to utilize.
    Looks fun. You gonna animate?
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Its just a series of repeating lines down the length of the body... you dont need images, you can do it with procedurals. Also, a worm doesnt have "that" look... that look is a series of overlapping plates that form the carapace... a worm is softbodied with deforming segments.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    That may be the nipponites mirabilis plugin or the extruded plus, which have options to yield bands on generated extrusions..both of them have that kind of options.
    http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/ni...smirabilis.php
    plugin site.
    http://www.artssphere.com/plugins.php

You could pretty easy just make a capsule and select every other mid polygon and use smooth shift to yield the ribbon.
    For animation some of the new spline tools in layout may work nicely, but ultimately it is the shading and texturing that may give it the final look.

I think a ribbed object would be nice but I think the key is the texturing. I'm intrigued by RebelHill procedural suggestions. I'm going to see if I can't control a procedural first...

Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    I think a ribbed object would be nice but I think the key is the texturing. I'm intrigued by RebelHill procedural suggestions. I'm going to see if I can't control a procedural first...
    try the marble1, se setup, vein spacing and sharpness is what you want to play with and maybe scaling.

Name:	procedural banding.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	145118

Using Lightwave 2019 will be better though for a realistic shading..my sample isnīt just demonstrating marble banding.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Do some research on the creature to find more textures; then, find a straight section to clone it in a straight line to go on your creature. A uv map would be great to utilize.
    Looks fun. You gonna animate?
    It's a fun job. An art project for an installation. Being 'art' not much money but it forces me to learn Lightwave. Basically I've got to take a fragment of a person who blows up, turn it into a glowing ball, which then turns into an eye that fly's through space seeing all kinds of wonderful things - stars eating each other, planets exploding (I've got a bunch of space shots from NASA which I map on the inner surface of a sphere. The eye flys into, yes, you guessed it, a worm hole, and gets covered with worms to emerge as a scary alien creature on a black desert....

The eye flys into, yes, you guessed it, a worm hole, and gets covered with worms to emerge as a scary alien creature on a black desert....
    Well...

I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Prometheus, thanks for posting the screen. I see now how you can use multiple layers of procedurals. cool

yeh, rebel, I can see in my mind's eye what my clients see's in hers

but getting it somewhere near reality by tapping the keys and sliding the mouse is a....

challenge.

you guys have been a big help!

Prometheus, thanks for posting the screen. I see now how you can use multiple layers of procedurals. cool

yeh, rebel, I can see in my mind's eye what my clients see's in hers

but getting it somewhere near reality by tapping the keys and sliding the mouse is a....

challenge.

you guys have been a big help!
    the Lighting,materials and shading in 2019 is a bit more realistic...would have to rework the figure since itīs just a capsule with smooth shifted midsections and some point normal inflate on it..a bit too much in fact,
    mostly the banding inset is much much thinner and delicate...and I would have to make it taper in the end etc..If I got the time.

color diffuse using procedural marble and the color red, and then you need to set a delicate balance with diffuse weight VS scattering weight, so far it could be a vegetable, fruit maybe or some kind of worm

Name:	caterpillar maybe.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	145119

Two free plugins would help you to knock out this model in no time at all. Px_Bezier and Px_UVCreeper. You can probably find them with a search of these forums, if not just ask, and someone is likely to upload them pretty quickly. Px Bezier allows you to easily create pipes, with segments as seen in that video I linked to earlier. You can also taper at least one end, then you could cut in half and mirror to get a taper at each end. UV Creeper allows you to UV unwrap pipes, tubes and the like perfectly with about three clicks. Then you can map a texture of actual worm skin cut out from a good photo, and you are basically done. Take a little time to figure out these plugins, because you will be able to knock this out literally in minutes if you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast