Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progress in the pursuit of Daz -> LW via FBX

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    Yes, animate 2 is a plugin that has to be bought, much like everything else in the Freemium Daz Studio. But they have frequent sales to soften the blow.
    Yes they're good addons (GraphMate, AniMate etc) and not expensive. Specially usefull is the (also commercial) Alembic exporter which exports all texture maps.

Yes, animate 2 is a plugin that has to be bought, much like everything else in the Freemium Daz Studio. But they have frequent sales to soften the blow.
    ... and of course the export feature to test it isn't available in aniMate Lite. Sigh. I've added it to my wishlist.

Don't 'spose I could impose on ya to whang together & export quick 5-6" generic G8 MDD for me to test in the meantime?

Oh, and I liken Daz's approach to what George Eastman did with Kodak. "Give them the camera. Sell them the film."
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

I dont have it personally. But they do have a 30 day money back deal, if you buy it and it sucks for your scenes.

And I forgot to mention yet another way, via Blenders daz plugin that seems to support G8 and even Iray materials.
    http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/p/...on-13.html?m=1

One LW exporter from Blender 2.8 beta, maybe others have better tips for Blender2LW exports:
    http://www.ewocprojects.be/lwoexport.html

I dont have it personally. But they do have a 30 day money back deal, if you buy it and it sucks for your scenes.
    That's true. I've an extra 20% off for another day or two as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yes they're good addons (GraphMate, AniMate etc) and not expensive. Specially usefull is the (also commercial) Alembic exporter which exports all texture maps.
    Do you know if the Alembic exporter just bakes everything, or does a rig get created as well?

Have not bought it, but I assume that Alembic is all about baking geometry for use in multiple apps or pipelines.
    More info: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/publi.../alembic/start

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alem...uter_graphics)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Do you know if the Alembic exporter just bakes everything, or does a rig get created as well?
    It's exporting the Alembic (point level / mesh) animation. No rig.

Unfortunately the import in LW 2019.0.3 crashes Layout instantly (at least in the quick test I did) and LWs Alembic integration is pretty basic and limiting anyway. Works fine in my other app.

Nevertheless good for exporting all maps (not possible with FBX or OBJ export where various important maps need to be collected manually from the DAZ Runtime).

That's what I thought but the docs mentioned a hierarchy support so had to ask.

I have to rebuild all the surfs now; only brings in the basic diff color. Using Olivers tool & usually that's not a big deal but lately I'm running into things where every surf has it's own UV instead of pretty much every item using the ModelUV or uvmap. Not to mention having very inconsistent naming such as both a Leather_UV and a leather_UV, that sort of thing. At least in LW I can semi-easily track back to the actual geom.

I did pick up the AniMate2 lic. It works but will have to modify workflow to make sure the geom matches properly for texturing. And I guess similarly to Alembic it's only doing vertexes. Would Chronosculpt be able to work on that mdd data though? Hmmm.

LW 2019.1 update should improve Daz Studio imports to LW.
    -FBX import updated
    -FBX material import supports PBR materials

Anyone tried yet?

"FBX Interchange Enhancements:
    -The Interchange panel now has two options for the Transfer Mode. You can either Append Assets or Replace Animation. Append Assets was the default functionality from before, but Replace Animation is new, and is used to transfer animation over items that are already animated.
    -You can now drag and drop complete scenes or individual elements from one side to the other.
    -You now have the option to import materials as Principled BSDF using the FBX Interchange."
    Last edited by Free4Ever; 07-16-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    It's exporting the Alembic (point level / mesh) animation. No rig.

Unfortunately the import in LW 2019.0.3 crashes Layout instantly (at least in the quick test I did) and LWs Alembic integration is pretty basic and limiting anyway. Works fine in my other app.

Nevertheless good for exporting all maps (not possible with FBX or OBJ export where various important maps need to be collected manually from the DAZ Runtime).
    Well, 2019.10 came out yesterday. Daz dangled a 70% off on the Alembic Exporter in front of me today. Coincidence? Conspiracy?

Some nice improvements with the FBX importer now, but still having some issues on the Daz end with Instances exporting. In the scene I'm working on today even the Instances to OBJ script was having problems so might be just something with how this scene is set up.

- - - Updated - - -

LW 2019.1 update should improve Daz Studio imports to LW.
    -FBX import updated
    -FBX material import supports PBR materials

Anyone tried yet?
    I'll have to read up on the PBR portion but I don't think Daz is doing that upon export in the first place.

Went back to one of my first stabs at all of this with 2018.x I believe to see what 2019.1 would do. In short, I'm quite pleased.

I did this in a couple hours. The resulting lwo form the FBX was just a single object, and all the rigging works. My earlier surfacing attempt was pre- OD tools, so got to put those to use this time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nu Flying Fortress + Bombs.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	145688

And I guess everything is relative, but "Fortress" ...

Here's what the crew had to deal with:

Name:	July-1985_12.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	145689

Name:	July-1985_5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	145690