Thread: 12G with one SDI?

12G with one SDI?

Hello! Newtek will ever go with 12G on one BNC SDI? Now TC1 can only do 4K with quad sdi, that means only 1 SDI can I use with 4K?! Newtek will change this for 4x4K input sdi?

Newtek never shares future plans with the public, and further it seems they are moving everything towards IP video with NDI, so I would not be hopeful for 12G SDI, but this is only my personal opinion.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Newtek never shares future plans with the public, and further it seems they are moving everything towards IP video with NDI, so I would not be hopeful for 12G SDI, but this is only my personal opinion.
    I'm inclined to agree, with some additional blatherskiting: Broadly speaking, I would certainly not say that "SDI is dead!", nor would I predict it's imminent demise. At the same time, it's 100% clear that the future is IP, and SDI's role is already substantially diminished. I've no doubt it will continue to be used in a number of scenarios for the foreseeable future, but less and less as time passes. (How long ago was it that the "high end" was all component? Seems like only yesterday.)

This all said, the two transport methods are not incompatible. If NewTek never bothers with a 12G SDI solution of their very own, it's still entirely possible to take such an output from whatever might supply it, plug it into some suitable third-party card, and convert that to NDI - et voila. 4K from SDI to NDI, then across CAT 5/6 to the rest of your infrastructure.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thank u for your answer! I need to choose to buy TC1 or the 410 Pus version. I have a startup company, and I have a limited budget. I saw that it suports only 4K over quad link, that is a little bit negative for me, because i need convertors to NDI if i buy 4K version. What do u recomand?

Quote Originally Posted by kencee View Post
    What do u recomand?
    I would like to think I can be impartial, and truly feel that future-proofing means planning for IP infrastructure (this is evidenced by the mind-boggling popularity and widespread adoption of NDI, most recently including for example, Sony) ... but really I think it would be good for you to consider the views of others, since I work for NewTek and might be viewed as biased.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thank u! Only I dont know to buy 4K or 1080 version...thanks for your infos.

Quite simply, if you need to work with 4K now, or anticipate needing to work with 4K in the next couple of years, then the obvious choice will be the TC1.

To get those 4K sources into the TC1, consider the Spark PRO or Spark PLUS boxes that accept HDMI to convert 4K to NDI into TC1, then you can forget about quad-link. Note that when in a 4K Session in TC1 there are some limitations, like having a single output MIX rather than 4, but also consider that one can alternately bring a 4K source into an HD Session, and then do virtual zoom and pan within that larger 4K source using the Virtual Camera function to simulate multiple cameras or camera moves using but a single 4K source. That is a powerful option to have!

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Just commenting on the cost of running 4K, the Spark Pro 4K seems expensive until you look at purchasing a couple rolls of 200ft 12G SDI cable rolls. That stuff is so expensive! Meanwhile you can use Cat5/6 cable for much cheaper.

For shorter runs HDMI is an option as well. If you can get past the non locking risk you can save a lot of money there. Many of the cameras are now outputting full 4K via HDMI.