Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting a Volume primitive item shape to a VDB volume?

Converting a Volume primitive item shape to a VDB volume?

Anyone tried and know if it is possible with the VDB tools to convert a volume item shape to a vdb file?

Why trying this?
    Well..I want to use all the glory of Ligtwave procedurals and try to make a cloud volume that can be exported to letīs say Blender.
    In pure ignorance I was trying to connect some of the VDB nodes and the VDB saver to make it happen, but so far zippo..no file is created.

Thought I should add a null vdb and from there add shape to volume and with that setting the null volume item as target then feeding to the saver, I tried some variants but nothing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Anyone tried and know if it is possible with the VDB tools to convert a volume item shape to a vdb file?

Why trying this?
    Well..I want to use all the glory of Ligtwave procedurals and try to make a cloud volume that can be exported to letīs say Blender.
    In pure ignorance I was trying to connect some of the VDB nodes and the VDB saver to make it happen, but so far zippo..no file is created.

Thought I should add a null vdb and from there add shape to volume and with that setting the null volume item as target then feeding to the saver, I tried some variants but nothing so far.
    Hello Prometheus

Saving a Level Set VDB out of LW works fine (see attached pics of export and import).

Saving a Volume VDB out of LW results in an immediate crash of LW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW_VDB01a.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	560.0 KB 
ID:	145084

Name:	C4D_VDB01a.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	767.2 KB 
ID:	145085

Haven't played with it myself but perhaps of interest...

https://origamidigital.com/dokuwiki/...s:od_createvdb
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Haven't played with it myself but perhaps of interest...

https://origamidigital.com/dokuwiki/...s:od_createvdb
    That is just a scripts that creates the basic nodes, converting a mesh into volume (Mesh to Volume node).

I created a Null as OpenVDB object and the corresponding nodes to affect another object (Sphere - which I hide from the render) to apply noise filter and then save it.

Hey guys, thanks for jumping in..but I am not sure you have understood what I needed?

I didnīt see any volume item shape in your descriptions marander, that seems to be a sphere polygon and not a volumetric item (new hypervoxels)

I want to turn a volumetric cloud with itīs fractal texture in to a vdb to export to blender for instance, I suspect it may not be possible ..Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for jumping in..but I am not sure you have understood what I needed?

I didnīt see any volume item shape in your descriptions marander, that seems to be a sphere polygon and not a volumetric item (new hypervoxels)

I want to turn a volumetric cloud with itīs fractal texture in to a vdb to export to blender for instance, I suspect it may not be possible ..Yet.
    It works here.

Name:	VDB_Create.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	368.3 KB 
ID:	145090

Have a look.

Edit to add. You have to double click on the saver node and click save to create it.
    Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by XswampyX; 05-28-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    It works here.

Name:	VDB_Create.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	368.3 KB 
ID:	145090

Have a look.

Edit to add. You have to double click on the saver node and click save to create it.
    Cheers!
    Yes I know how to save ..and yes, that is the very first (node) setup I made myself when I tried it, but how does your shape to volume node setup look like? ..did you target it to a volume item shape? I see some kind of primitive item shape shown in vpr not a volume item shape...So I donīt think you are following me yet, meaning you are making a volume vdb from a primitive shape item..and display it in vpr..that is not what I need here, I need to convert volumetrics(new hypervoxels 2019) to a vdb volume, not a primitive shape.

I think we would need a volume to volume node in the vdb tools, extracting from the primitive type volumetric to VDB volume, but we only have mesh to volume and shape to volume.
    Such a vdb tool would allow for being able to use all the Lightwave procedural glory and how it can texture a volume item, then send to blender or maybe even vue and perhaps soon terragen to render with full sky glory but with special designed clouds from Lightwave.

I realized that I initially named my request a bit wrong, it should only be volume primitive item, not volume primitive item shape.

Did you guys understood what I was after?..and do you recognize that it can not be done?
    In such case we need a feature request.

From what I've read, everyone here has answered your question.

Why is it you don't accept the answer?

Swampy gave the answer, "How to save an exported vdb for use elsewhere." Since vdbs are "effectively infinite 3D index space, compact storage, fast data access", we don't really save level- or volumes -- those are filter-derived, as it were. .

It can not be done any other way. Once exported in this way, vdb tools would need to be used on it to get it to its next desired incarnation.

Someone correct me as needed.
    Thanks.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Swampy gave the answer, "How to save an exported vdb for use elsewhere." Since vdbs are "effectively infinite 3D index space, compact storage, fast data access", we don't really save level- or volumes -- those are filter-derived, as it were. .

It can not be done any other way. Once exported in this way, vdb tools would need to be used on it to get it to its next desired incarnation.

Thanks.
    It seems prometheus wants to take an old hypervoxel and convert it into a VDB. It can't be done.

That's ... an absurd notion.

Edit: Was there anything made to make hypervoxels "real"? I want to recall something for that but it would be to an object of some kind. (Can't find a mention on google, though.)
    From there, yeah, jump the vdb hoops.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-31-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    It seems prometheus wants to take an old hypervoxel and convert it into a VDB. It can't be done.
    No I donīt ..as I said previously, I want to turn the New Hypervoxels to a vdb file,(not the old) and yes..I do not believe it can be done currently, the question is then..could it be possible and implemented, we would need something that can read these
    2019 volumetrics and convert, just as mesh to volume or shape to volume..but I reckon it must be difficult to do if not impossible.
    I donīt know enough about the underlying tech in order to decide wether or not itīs worth to file a request, then again I could just do that and let the LW team bother about the rest

- - - Updated - - -

That's ... an absurd notion.

Edit: Was there anything made to make hypervoxels "real"? I want to recall something for that but it would be to an object of some kind. (Can't find a mention on google, though.)
    From there, yeah, jump the vdb hoops.
    What do you mean absurd notion?

Thanks.

Why should I accept the answer.?..when the answer isnīt correct and Only after my last post swampy did realize what I wanted.,,but swampy didnīt give the answer, though he dedicated explained converting from a mesh..but that I already knew
    ...It was never about doing vdb from mesh or shapes, I should have replied you this first...but I explained it in the above post, and i do not understand why you didnīt read what I posted about converting volume item to vdb.

the new volumetrics is also referenced as hypervoxels in the lightwave help docs, it should have been called something else or been given a release number, even though itīs a new system.

Check post 7 and you see it is described well.

Absurd - illogical.

What you speak of has been spoken of since the first hypervoxels were implemented. If it isn't available now, no one has been abundantly motivated to create it. Perhaps it is known that there are better tools for such a task. Or perhaps, doing this task is too gargantuan for the compensation for doing so.

Now that I truly understand the question, it is doubly absurd.

Good luck with the feature request.
    Indiana Deaf School

I am not sure if Terragen is able to do that soon, If Iīm not wrong, it is supposed to be able to export vdb from terragen clouds.
    https://planetside.co.uk/forums/inde...c,24626.0.html

Now...IF..they can manage it, why would that be totally impossible for Lightwave?

When you now so brilliantly managed to understand my question, then you must be a wiz when it comes to VDB and volumetrics and the underlying tech..or am I wrong?
    Please ellaborate why it is so absurd if you donīt mind to enlighten us.

I can understand houdini and lightwave exporting out from within simulated vdb tools or fluids, if that is built on VDB from scratch, but I donīt think terragen clouds does that so what gives.

Your logic refering to ..if it hasnīt been made yet, ergo it canīt be done, I am highly sceptical too...itīs about the underlying technique, not wether or not they have been able to do it yet or not..though that could be the case, but really..that as the deciding factor for it to be impossible?

To conclude, you are not sure yourself, you say "perhaps..and someone not motivated enough etc", so how do you the conclude and connect that to the task at hand being illogical and absurd?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast