Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to remove texture map

It simply confused me. I'm reading through the manual and saw the syncmesh stuff and thought 'that's interesting, let me try it out' I go to the edit window and try to find it and fall down a rabbit hole feeling like a newb who isn't smart enough to open a simple tool as documented in the manual

Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    It simply confused me. I'm reading through the manual and saw the syncmesh stuff and thought 'that's interesting, let me try it out' I go to the edit window and try to find it and fall down a rabbit hole feeling like a newb who isn't smart enough to open a simple tool as documented in the manual
    Yeah - Modeler has a lot of tools for sure. After some use you'll discover your favorites and hardly use the rest.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    I think SyncMesh is one of those frameworks that you only really notice if you've used LW for a long time prior to version 11.5.

I remember when they implemented it and how it blew my mind when I saw how much better it's tools were to use over the "old" toolsets.

I think if you never really gone through the "bad old days" then SyncMesh isn't something you'd really notice or appreciate as much as us LW oldie timers. I think the manual only references it just to give long time users a heads up on it being a new (as it was back then) feature as opposed to something you really should know how to use.
    Then there's zero justification for it being given such prominence in the Modeler documentation. The docs are literally making a big deal about something that really adds NOTHING useful to the user's knowledge of Modeler or even those tools, unfortunately. There's a LOT of that kind of thing in the current Modeler documentation, and they make those docs a very disjointed, confusing read -- obvious, user-needed and expected basic workflows and reference info are missing or deeply obscured, but obtuse-to-irrelevant notes and details are everywhere and given "top billing".
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Then there's zero justification for it being given such prominence in the Modeler documentation. The docs are literally making a big deal about something that really adds NOTHING useful to the user's knowledge of Modeler or even those tools, unfortunately.
    In the case of SyncMesh I think you have a point, but....

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    There's a LOT of that kind of thing in the current Modeler documentation, and they make those docs a very disjointed, confusing read -- obvious, user-needed and expected basic workflows and reference info are missing or deeply obscured, but obtuse-to-irrelevant notes and details are everywhere and given "top billing".
    ... to be fair, what you're (in my view correctly) expecting is (in some cases) delivered. Genoma has a mini tutorial and examples of use, so does Bullet and OpenVDB (yes I know these last two are Layout tools but the principle still applies).

I think what's needed is another Essential LightWave book for the newest versions of LightWave, one that everyone could benefit from.

Hi all,

I have left the Syncmesh page as is for the time being but added links to all the tools to make it easier to consult their documentation. When they were first added in 11.5, these tools added a different way of working to traditional Modeler tools so merited an introduction. The explanations on that page are general to all the Syncmesh tools.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ben (I'm really famous cos I was interviewed by Dan Wood and Ravi Abbott of The Retrohour Podcast fame) Vost.

We're much obliged.

Awww, I was hoping I was famous for more than just that...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Blog Entries
    While I've got you Ben, is there any chance you could put a mention somewhere in the manual regarding what's happened to VIPER?

There's mention of it's use by other tools in the manual but but nothing pertaining to it directly. I can't seem to access it anywhere, even the default keyboard shortcut doesn't work. It seems to have been deprecated or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    While I've got you Ben, is there any chance you could put a mention somewhere in the manual regarding what's happened to VIPER?

There's mention of it's use by other tools in the manual but but nothing pertaining to it directly. I can't seem to access it anywhere, even the default keyboard shortcut doesn't work. It seems to have been deprecated or something.
    Yep - it's gone. It had some uses, especially with hypervoxels and particles. VPR pretty much does everything VIPER did.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yep - it's gone. It had some uses, especially with hypervoxels and particles. VPR pretty much does everything VIPER did.
    Cheers Tim.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234