Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to remove texture map

How to remove texture map

I am sorry to have to ask what seems to me a basic question.

How do you remove a texture map?

For example, I accidently clicked on texture map for Luminosity instead of the Color and added a Texture map. I can't seem to turn off the Blued T now. I can set the image to 'none' and that seems to stop the mapping from occurring but that bloody T is blued as if a Texture map is being used.

I must be missing something obvious, right?

Shift-T to remove it.....
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    As in, shift-click on the [T] button. That also works for the [E].

Cheers,
    Mike

I wonder how long I might have had to hunt an peck to figure that out. Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    As in, shift-click on the [T] button. That also works for the [E].

Cheers,
    Mike
    Doh.....thanks mike, I just realised my description wasn’t clear.
    I’m not even sure what shift T on the keyboard does.....
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    I wonder how long I might have had to hunt an peck to figure that out. Thanks much!
    Well, it is documented in the manual. Just saying.

Cheers,
    Mike

and I'm glad you said it cause....

well, what constitutes the official manual? I'm working with LW2018. Originally, for 'the manual' I was using

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW201

and if I type in the search bar "remove texture map" I don't see anything that jumps out as the obvious article

now there is LW2019

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/

and if I type in "remove texture map"

I get apparently a more appropriate result "texture editor" but a quick scan doesn't reveal the answer.

I asked here, and 'poof' like magic the answer came to me lickety split for which I'm very grateful

I'm challenging my knowledge of Lightwave these days and I really would like to find an easy way to get where I want to go ...

I have to admit that:

a) this should be more prominent at the start of the docs and
    b) a website is not as inviting to read through as a "proper" manual.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...ce-conventions

Cheers,
    Mike

Thanks for digging that out of the Appendices for me but,I hate to say it , I read through (admittedly quickly) the User Interface Conventions and I didn't see Shift-LMB to turn off Textures or Envelopes. I missed it maybe? I dunno …

I'm now trying to figure out how to map an image sequence with alpha's onto a surface so that the surface disappears and only the image sequence appears. I've done this years ago, and I did it yesterday, but on a second attempt yesterday it eluded me. Seems to be a combination of Surface Texture map, Clip map, and a Transparency texture map? I'll bang my head on it again this morning and figure it out....

...yes, yes, I'm reading the manual as we speak on clip mapping

Then there is getting hair to flap back and forth as a head moves forward and back using fiber fx and bullet. I found a video online but it was in german

Thanks for your feedback!!
    Last edited by James Moore; 05-28-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks for digging that out of the Appendices for me but,I hate to say it , I read through (admittedly quickly) the User Interface Conventions and I didn't see Shift-LMB to turn off Textures or Envelopes. I missed it maybe? I dunno …
    No, you didn't. It actually isn't there, my bad. I thought it was (it used to be there).

Edit: You can also right click on the button though.

Cheers,
    Mike

I spend so much of my time learning softwares (Resolve/Fusion has been a recent head banging experience) and I'm constantly skimming manuals, searching the intertubes, and, mostly, hunting and pecking about interfaces trying to get what is in my minds eye to screen. Forums are a great resource and one does get the 'read the manual newb' meme thrown out a fair bit. Often it is very helpful, that meme, as you get pointed to the specific areas of the manual that are of interest. I've also been known to ask some pretty simplistic questions (like how the heck do you turn off a texture ) I got that meme offered me when I was trying to use one grade for multiple versions of a show and it led me down a whole aspect of Resolve's colour structure that was incredibly deep and layered.

right clicking a highlighted Texture button doesn't turn it off on my machine. Shift clicking does and it is proving to be very useful to me as I go down the rabbit hole of trying to get the alpha to disappear the rest of the object.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    a) this should be more prominent at the start of the docs and
    b) a website is not as inviting to read through as a "proper" manual.
    Help should be displayed in bubble help appearing when somebody hovered UI element by mouse etc. etc. Just saying..

ps. I never read LW docs (or manual), except LWSDK of course.

Since I may still have your ear and I know you've been around this software a long time (I remember you from waaay back)

Why, if you start a completely new scene, add a 2D box (either rotate it 180 degrees to camera or make double sided) change the material to standard with the default gradient background happening. turn transparency to 100 percent. The object doesn't disappear completely, even if you turn off seen by's in object properties and turn all other variables to 0. I can't make it disappear with the transparency values. I'm sure I figured out a way years ago....

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Sensie, I get no help bubbles, anywhere. Don't see a way of turning them on or off either....

TrueArt Support
    Hi Sensie, I get no help bubbles, anywhere. Don't see a way of turning them on or off either....
    I meant what should be done, but is not.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Transparency 100, refraction index 1. Or just use object dissolve.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast