Thread: Geometry vs Subd+displacement.....

Geometry vs Subd+displacement.....

Ok, kinda wanting an opinion...

I have a scene that I'm doing and I have some mountainous backgrounds... right now I'm using a subd object with nodal displacement and displacement map to generate the terrain. Of course, this slows down things like moving camera's etc...so I'm wondering if it would be better to freeze the displaced object and use it (yeah I know its more memory, but also less evaluation at render time)?
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 16 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Ok, kinda wanting an opinion...

I have a scene that I'm doing and I have some mountainous backgrounds... right now I'm using a subd object with nodal displacement and displacement map to generate the terrain. Of course, this slows down things like moving camera's etc...so I'm wondering if it would be better to freeze the displaced object and use it (yeah I know its more memory, but also less evaluation at render time)?
    If you do not need to tweak the mountain anymore for that specific render, and your machine can handle it..just do it and freeze it, but you need to make sure it is at a decent level in relation to your camera for detail etc.
    You can always have the scene as non freezed to go back to if something doesn´t work out.

Yeah its pretty much where it needs to be. Was what I was thinking...only tweaks that might needed are surface.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Maybe a useful tip:

Before rendering, set your Display SubPatch level to match the Render SubPatch level. This will make LightWave skip that long 'mesh freezing' process for each frame.

(This is probably obvious but you should set the display level back to a more usable level if you need to go back to animating the scene.)

Actually freezing the object will essentially do the same but the above trick is non-destructive.

I'm not sure why the Lightwave renderer doesn't just match the settings automatically when you submit the file, or at least offer an option for it. Back when I was with The Box at R+H, our in-house render controller did this by default unless we needed to disable it intentionally for some reason. (I can't think of a good reason to do that.)

But sometimes I'll freeze the geo and see if it's faster to animate this way. Depending on what you're doing with the geo, Layout may run more efficiently this way. I make sure to keep an unfrozen backup in case I need to regress of course. If you're not sure if this will help in your case, just try it and see if it works for you.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, it should default to display settings...On larger objects i usually set display to 0, until im ready for vpr. There should also be an option for LW to not go through process each frame for objects that dont change shape, etc.

Indeed..always keep an unfoze version (back when I first was doing things, I didnt do this....hehe)

Thanks for the replies..good to know its not a completely retarded idea. Its mostly just the background terrain, so I dont need a whole lot of detail at this time.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

When rendering there will be a freeze and a triple, but another advantage of not doing it before is the APS :

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...er-subdivision

Right. But in this case, I dont need to change the resolution.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube