Thread: NDI over dedicated network

NDI over dedicated network

Hello there. I plan to install 3 Newtek NDI cameras in our school's auditorium this summer, feeding a Tricaster Mini Advanced. I was planning to do this with dedicated wiring and a suitable gigabit switch. Our IT guys think this should work, but I thought I would seek out other opinions. Does anyone have any comments, pro or con? Thanks!

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Yes, absolutely - this works great and is my preferred method of doing things. Just need to manually set IP addresses on TriCaster and PTZ1 cameras then you are all set, nobody else on the network to mess with things/compete with for bandwidth, basically like hard-wiring video cameras to the switcher like the old days.

One tip - connect cameras to Mini on the bench using HDMI video cables prior to installation/mounting. You can use the IR remote then to access the camera menus that ONLY show up over video and not over NDI. Then you can easily pre-set the IP addresses of cameras. Later on, you can still access the PTZ1 setup options over the network, but I think easier to do locally via video connection/menu in some situations. In other words, get it all working on the bench of course before hanging cameras and running cable. Then when reconnected later it should still work.

Note there are DIP switches on bottom of camera for setting video format (like 1080p60, 1080i, etc.) and note that the Mini does NOT support 1080p60, so choose something else you want to use before mounting cameras when you cannot access the switches!

Also, when you configure your little network of TriCaster and cameras, in Windows make sure your "network" is set to PRIVATE and not PUBLIC as NDI signals get blocked over Public (TriCaster might "see" that there is a camera, but you won't get the actual video when selecting that camera. Frustrating. Turn OFF Firewalls, turn ON Network Discovery.

Again, get everything configured and happily working on the bench first. Then mount it all and should be good to go!!

One more thing - avoid using AC power for cameras and use Power over Ethernet. The PTZ1 cameras use bigger motors, so regular PoE doesn't work, you need PoE+. Can do this on the switch, but maybe more reliable is to just get a power injector for each camera. This is what I use (got model from Kane P. I believe) - Gigabit PoE+ Injector TRENDnet TPE-115GI and they are about $28 on Amazon or Newegg for example.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Wonderful, Jeff. Thank you for the detailed response! All the best...

Another point - the Newtek PTZ1 cameras can truly be plug and play with NDI more than other brands. When connected to the network, the PTZ1 will try to connect with DCHP and if successful, that's it - it just shows up on the network and can be accessed/controlled by NDI Studio Monitor or TriCaster right away. However, if DCHP is NOT found after a minute or two, then camera defaults to its static address of 192.168.100.168 and that is why I suggested having access to the video (HDMI or SDI) outputs of camera during setup so that you can just use the IR remote and OSD to set up desired manual address.

Which makes me think of another thing - use NDI Studio Monitor to test and set up cameras. Easier than having to repeatedly open and close TriCaster software while messing around, do it all from Windows desktop. If the camera is working in Studio Monitor, then you can be confident that camera should also work in TriCaster software which is the next step of testing then.

Good luck!

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Great, thanks. I just ran the "Compatibility Checker" on our Mini, and we are good to go for AE3. I'll look into the NDI Studio Monitor - good idea. Really looking forward to this - we've been running a 4-camera live shoot in our auditorium for decades, but have been stuck in "SD Hell" for all that time. Thanks again...

Sorry, I keep thinking of more things!! The PTZ1 camera uses NDI|HX and you will need the HX driver on any machine you want to see the camera on, including TriCaster. Available here: https://www.newtek.com/ndihx/products/

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Thanks Jeff! Important details...

I just downloaded the "NDI Tools" suite - looks like the new drivers are included...