Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Tells Users They Can Get Sued for Using Old Versions of Photoshop

Adobe Tells Users They Can Get Sued for Using Old Versions of Photoshop

Adobe is warning some owners of its Creative Cloud software applications that they’re no longer allowed to use older versions of the software. It’s yet another example of how in the modern era, you increasingly don’t actually own the things you’ve spent your hard-earned money on.

Adobe this week began sending some users of its Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Premiere, Animate, and Media Director programs a letter warning them that they were no longer legally authorized to use the software they may have thought they owned.

“We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and and a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them,” Adobe said in the email. “Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties.”
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a...8iuR_TGjfQvAyM
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

The sad thing is, this is probably all detailed in the eula, which absolutely nobody reads (who would).
    Glad I changed to Affinity.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

My understanding is that they're talking about older versions of their CC software. Apparently the versions in question have Dolby code that wasn't properly licensed and is currently in litigation. I'm not sure how this makes the user liable but I guess they're covering their bases.

Not sure why anybody would want to use older versions of CC anyway, unless it's for compatibility with older plugins I guess. FWIW, most plugins developers for AE, like Red Giant for example, have been pretty good about keeping their tools up-to-date with the latest CC releases.

Ok, just thought of a reason: to maintain compatibility with older files I guess. New CC versions can open older files but the file may get converted to a newer format, and the conversion sometimes causes visible changes to the art/animation. When this has happened to me, however, I just make an adjustment and move on.

[QUOTE=Greenlaw;1571380Not sure why anybody would want to use older versions of CC anyway, ,,,, [/QUOTE]
    you paid for it, it does what you need and you haven't bought any thing newer....

But with CC you always have something newer available. AFAIK, Adobe hasn't said anything about pre-CC software.

Dear Adobe,
    I will continue to use Adobe Fireworks CS6 for as long as possible because it's a great program that you killed and have no other individual programs that easily does everything it does.

Cordially yours,
    A customer telling you to Stick It.

in good news they have slashed the price of cloud until 23rd, was £600 a year for all apps in uk, currently £369 !
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Yeah but what’s to say it won’t be more than 600 the following year.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    My understanding is that they're talking about older versions of their CC software. Apparently the versions in question have Dolby code that wasn't properly licensed and is currently in litigation. I'm not sure how this makes the user liable but I guess they're covering their bases.

Not sure why anybody would want to use older versions of CC anyway, unless it's for compatibility with older plugins I guess. FWIW, most plugins developers for AE, like Red Giant for example, have been pretty good about keeping their tools up-to-date with the latest CC releases.

Ok, just thought of a reason: to maintain compatibility with older files I guess. New CC versions can open older files but the file may get converted to a newer format, and the conversion sometimes causes visible changes to the art/animation. When this has happened to me, however, I just make an adjustment and move on.
    To Greenlaw's point, I'm a little confused about how this can even happen. Creative Cloud's availability is controlled server side by Adobe. When I go into the CC application, I can't install anything older than one or two cycles ago. Is this a situation where subscription users just never updated? Apologies if I'm missing something here.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    in good news they have slashed the price of cloud until 23rd, was £600 a year for all apps in uk, currently £369 !
    Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Yeah but what’s to say it won’t be more than 600 the following year.
    The deal terms say. This only discounts for one year.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by meatycheesyboy View Post
    To Greenlaw's point, I'm a little confused about how this can even happen. Creative Cloud's availability is controlled server side by Adobe. When I go into the CC application, I can't install anything older than one or two cycles ago. Is this a situation where subscription users just never updated? Apologies if I'm missing something here.
    Very probably. Once some people have a stable setup, they don't shake the tree unless they have to. It can also happen with imaged hard drives I suppose... old versions preinstalled.

Quote Originally Posted by meatycheesyboy View Post
    I think Adobe keeps multiple versions available because not everybody switch versions in mid-production. With some shows I'm on, we may be frozen at an older release throughout the show because that's what the production started with. When new show starts up, we might move up to newer releases for that show. But, yeah, I'm talking about a couple of versions back at most, not sticking with really 'ancient' CC releases.

Re: pre-CC version, I do wonder for how long they'll keep their activation servers going for these really old versions. (BTW, I finally removed my old pre-CC versions from my computer. I don't think I launched any of the pre-CC programs once in many years.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post

No, there are very viable reasons other than that. For example, the latest versions of Animate CC have been an unmitigated disaster for 2d animators: the performance is terrible compared to CS6 and the first versions of CC, and new features are implemented half-complete and with all sorts of caveats.

Studios relying on Animate in their pipeline have no choice but to rely on older versions. Imagine standing in the shoes of these studios: how would you feel?

Similar situation for Premiere: the latest 2019 version is unusable in production for many (if not most). What will happen when 2020 is released, and both 2019 AND 2010 are still bug-ridden? I'd be scared out of my wits right now if I were an outfit relying on Premiere.

Adobe indemnified their users to avoid further legal issues with their 3d party (probably Dolby). But this means exposing all its users to potential legal action if they produce anything with an older version.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Talking

Am I a dinosaur if i am still using CS6?
    I have tryed CC 2016 - but not such a progres. But the lates AE CC have a nice feature - Content-Aware Fill for removing objects from video .
    If I will need it, I will give it a try.
    Last edited by FredyN; 05-18-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The deal terms say. This only discounts for one year.
    Which just means negotiating another discount in a year. Think of it as a necessary annual maintenance conversation that saves you hundreds off each following year. Easily worthwhile.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast