Thread: Shadow Strength

Shadow Strength

Probably not the correct terminology, but in Modeler 2018, where do I adjust for the intensity or strength of a shadow on
    an object? I want it to be more subtle.

Also, can the 1st light in Modeler be a spot light? I'm not having luck making it one. It's either
    a distant light or nothing.

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by stevedross; 05-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.

has to be one default light in a scene and one camera, change spot back to distant light and adjust it radius at bottom of light panel and watch how it softens

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedross View Post
    Probably not the correct terminology, but in Modeler 2018, where do I adjust for the intensity or strength of a shadow on
    Modeler is for modeling 3D objects.
    Layout is for setting up scene, lighting, cameras, and rendering.
    Did you mean Layout instead of Modeler?
    Modeler has no lights..

Also, can the 1st light in Modeler be a spot light?
    Yes, you can have any light type as 1st light. In Layout.

I'm not having luck making it one. It's either
    a distant light or nothing.
    It might be because you're not adjusting spot light direction correctly.
    Turn viewport mode from Perspective or Camera to Light View, to see where light is pointing. Use rotate tool to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Modeler is for modeling 3D objects.
    Layout is for setting up scene, lighting, cameras, and rendering.
    Did you mean Layout instead of Modeler?
    Modeler has no lights..

Yes, you can have any light type as 1st light. In Layout.

It might be because you're not adjusting spot light direction correctly.
    Turn viewport mode from Perspective or Camera to Light View, to see where light is pointing. Use rotate tool to change it.

Yes, my bad. I meant to say Layout. I only have the 1 light in my scene and didn't know if I could soften the shadow being cast.

Thanks you guys.

Steve

You could also add an HDRI as a textured environment and change your light to an environment light; environment lights (depending on the HDRI) provide some excellent soft shadows.

Yes, my bad. I meant to say Layout. I only have the 1 light in my scene and didn't know if I could soften the shadow being cast.

Thanks you guys.

Steve
    There are a number of new light types available with the 2018-19 releases and most have some sort of shadow adjust.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

For a distant light, which previously mostly was used as a sunlight, you set the shadow softness with i´s angle, 0,52-0,53 is an angle commonly used to get close to real world softness of a sun shadow.
    0 value absolutely sharp and no softness, 360 degree angle, completely soft shadows..meaning not really casting any shadows at all, acting like an occlusion light.

Lightwave 2019 however has a new sunlight (hosek-wilkie)..which has a size setting and not any angle setting...it kind of softens out the shadow if you set a higher value, default is set to 5 to replicate the sun, but I think it kind of was easier to adjust shadow softness in the distant light, the sunlight behaves differently..perhaps more fixed to be more accurate, but more difficult to tweak for shadow softness as You would want it.

Edit..I was reading it wrong..thought it was about softness, but it´s about shadow strength, then it´s about light intensity mostly, that means lowering the main lighting on other items as well, you could simply go to the light´s shadow color and change black to a lower grey value, combined with the right shadow softness..it should be tweakable to subtle shadow.

if you use a volumetric item like a cloud volumetric item, your shadow density strength can be controlled within the volumetric item, not the light itself, it´s the last setting in the volumetric item tab called shadow density, if you turn that to zero..your cloud will not cast any shadow on the ground..higher values and you´ll see them increase in strength.

Probably not the correct terminology, but in Layout 2018, where do I adjust for the intensity or strength of a shadow on
    How about changing the shadow color to a grey instead of black.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com