Thread: Still in 2015.3 ... Problems ...

Unhappy Still in 2015.3 ... Problems ...

I thought a project would be simple and quick, but I ran into a pretty serious dead-end.

It's a logo with moving parts that fade in -- no big deal. But there is VOLUMETRIC lighting present. This SHOWS the faded out (100% transparency) parts, even though they're "faded out." :-( (I've done many projects with vol-lights, but NEVER with objects that are fading in while vol-light is present -- until today, that is).

I can't even render two scenes and compose in AE because the objects need fading-in shadows WHILE they're fading in. It's a frigging BRICK WALL.

Any advice? -- Thanks.

I see some old threads on this (vol-lights with transparency), and that it has been a problem for a long time. Does 2018 SOLVE it???

Thanks again.

Wow. Something is VERY weird. NONE of the ENVELOPES are being saved with the scene file. This is repeatable. I have NO idea why. :-(

Any ideas?

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    2018 / 19... yes, you can use object transparency or just plain ol object dissolve, and the shadows cast into volumes shall fade away too. Be aware though, volumetric lighting is VERY different to old LW.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by DrStrik9 View Post
    I thought a project would be simple and quick, but I ran into a pretty serious dead-end.

It's a logo with moving parts that fade in -- no big deal. But there is VOLUMETRIC lighting present. This SHOWS the faded out (100% transparency) parts, even though they're "faded out." :-( (I've done many projects with vol-lights, but NEVER with objects that are fading in while vol-light is present -- until today, that is).

I can't even render two scenes and compose in AE because the objects need fading-in shadows WHILE they're fading in. It's a frigging BRICK WALL.

Any advice? -- Thanks.
    I don't get why you can't fade between two renders? Here's two renders on with only the light and one with light and object then just fade between them in AE. Usually faster to do it in post and also easier to change if there is changes needed.
    Done in LW 2015.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-05-09_10-54-25.gif 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	144924

TrueArt Support
    Did you try Object Dissolve instead of Surface Transparency?

Yes, THANK YOU, Sensei. Object Dissolve is the ticket! :+) Seems to WORK.

Well, dang it. I spoke too soon. Object Dissolve is "almost" better than good old transparency, but when it goes from 100% dissolve to 99.9% dissolve, the object POPS into the screen, with no volumetric shadows or object color, but it is CLEARLY VISIBLE inside the volumetric lighting. Crap. (The object color and vol-light shadows sppear as the object becomes more solid. But it really just doesn't work.

The problem with rendering twice is that between dissolving in four objects at different times, and fading in the Vol-Light, it would be very tough to get it to look right.

If someone could test this in 2018, I would be VERY grateful: Solid Volumetric Light, with objects dissolving from 100% to 0%, inside the Vol-Light effect. Let me know if you test it, and how it turned out.

Thanks! :+)

@ Ztreem: Thanks for the test. Your sample looks great. My problem is that I have four objects, three of which are MOVING while fading in, all four fading in at different times. This is the first time I've ever tried to fade objects in while inside the Vol-light effect (making the issue very OBVIOUS), so I had never run into this issue before. I just can't imagine fading from one anim to another would be easy. It would probably need to be FOUR (or five?) anims (during fade only), one for each object. What a hassle. :-/

TrueArt Support
    Attach scene and object, and we will be better able to help you playing with the settings and seeing what you are seeing..

Combining transparency and dissolve worked for me.

Name:	2019-05-10_09-34-10.gif 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	144940

Name:	Layout_2019-05-10_09-28-02.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	144938

Name:	Layout_2019-05-10_09-28-15.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	144939
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-05-10_09-26-38.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	144937  
    Last edited by Ztreem; 05-10-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStrik9 View Post
    If someone could test this in 2018
    Already said above, it works fine with either transparency or dissolve, but there are no volume lights, its a different way of working.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all