Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiral Staircase interior lounge

Spiral Staircase interior lounge

Here is a portfolio piece I have been working on recently rendered in LW 2019 native. I think it's close to being finished but thought I would post it here for review to see if there might be anything else I can do to improve the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staircase_14.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	144906  
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Great work! Maybe knock down the value of the buildings outside the window. A little atmospheric haze would push them further into the background, so they don't compete with your foreground. Also think about putting in a foreground object, like chairs / coffee table or something. There is a lot of empty floor up front. Perhaps the flooring could have some variation rather than just the same tile for the whole thing. Take a look at some hotel lobby floors for reference. This may or may not be a good idea, just spitballing as they say. That's my two cents, I hope it helps. It is already a really nice piece.

Nice. It may be useful to toss in a person or two to better illustrate scale.

The empty floor up front may simply be a path of traffic. You can illustrate that with a person.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    Great work! Maybe knock down the value of the buildings outside the window. A little atmospheric haze would push them further into the background, so they don't compete with your foreground. Also think about putting in a foreground object, like chairs / coffee table or something. There is a lot of empty floor up front. Perhaps the flooring could have some variation rather than just the same tile for the whole thing. Take a look at some hotel lobby floors for reference. This may or may not be a good idea, just spitballing as they say. That's my two cents, I hope it helps. It is already a really nice piece.
    You bring up some good points. I was trying to figure out a good way to downplay the city backdrop outside the window but never thought of putting in some haze, I will have to give that a try and see how it looks. I will have to see if I can figure out a way to fill in that empty floor space, that's also something that bothered my a bit as well and your feedback just confirms that could be improved. Thanks for the ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Nice. It may be useful to toss in a person or two to better illustrate scale.

The empty floor up front may simply be a path of traffic. You can illustrate that with a person.
    I will try putting in a person and see if it works without distracting from everything else.

The rendering is gorgeous! I don't mind the empty floor space. The thing that bothers me is that perspective on the buildings outside the window seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    The rendering is gorgeous! I don't mind the empty floor space. The thing that bothers me is that perspective on the buildings outside the window seems odd.
    It's a photo I took years ago and I agree it does look a bit odd since the perspective doesn't match. Maybe I will have to see if I can find a different backdrop that works better.

That is really nice! One of the best lit native renders to date. A few crits would be with the sofas - they seem a little small in relation to the rise of the steps. If the steps have a 7" rise, the sofas seem really low. Also the ceiling trim and floor trim at the walls seem rather strange. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are interiors just like that. One last concern is that I don't know what it is - is it a single family apartment, a lobby in an office building - there doesn't seem to be any context to photo other than a really cool stairway and terrific shading and lighting. Really nice. I'd love to see more from you and the native render engine.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Great render Nicolas,

I love the stairway and open space and much more, but I do not like the sofa..maybe itīs my taste..so I would suggest try other sofa models that maybe would sync in tune with the open space.
    To me Itīs something about the curved bottom of the sofa and the length, I would like to be able to lay on full stretch on a sofa if needed, and these sofa seem to only allow for mostly sitting, I would also look in to some other color & fabric of the sofa cloth, maybe giving them a color near the same as the top parts of the stairs..a little beige, that would sync with the stairs an also make a better contrast agains the wall, both the wall and the sofa is mainly grey with a slight difference.

Anyway..great job otherwise.

And for the backdrop, why not make the buildings true 3d and add the physical sky? canīt get more realistic than that..it just some light extra geometry and a little more rendertime perhaps..but you gain in realism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    That is really nice! One of the best lit native renders to date. A few crits would be with the sofas - they seem a little small in relation to the rise of the steps. If the steps have a 7" rise, the sofas seem really low. Also the ceiling trim and floor trim at the walls seem rather strange. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are interiors just like that. One last concern is that I don't know what it is - is it a single family apartment, a lobby in an office building - there doesn't seem to be any context to photo other than a really cool stairway and terrific shading and lighting. Really nice. I'd love to see more from you and the native render engine.
    Thanks Tim, I double checked the rise of the steps and they are just under 7". I also checked the seat height of the sofas and it is 1'1.5" so that particular sofa has a bit lower than normal seat height. The combination of the perspective and that the sofa is back just a bit further than the bottom steps probably make the scale look even more off. I'm going to see if I can find something better to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Great render Nicolas,

I love the stairway and open space and much more, but I do not like the sofa..maybe itīs my taste..so I would suggest try other sofa models that maybe would sync in tune with the open space.
    To me Itīs something about the curved bottom of the sofa and the length, I would like to be able to lay on full stretch on a sofa if needed, and these sofa seem to only allow for mostly sitting, I would also look in to some other color & fabric of the sofa cloth, maybe giving them a color near the same as the top parts of the stairs..a little beige, that would sync with the stairs an also make a better contrast agains the wall, both the wall and the sofa is mainly grey with a slight difference.

Anyway..great job otherwise.

And for the backdrop, why not make the buildings true 3d and add the physical sky? canīt get more realistic than that..it just some light extra geometry and a little more rendertime perhaps..but you gain in realism.
    Ya I think I'm going to try and replace that sofa it is a bit of an odd one now that it has been brought to my attention. I was looking for a better photo for the background but couldn't really find anything that I thought would work so yes I think I'm going to create my own background buildings with 3d models like you are suggesting rather than having a photo backdrop.

But isn't that what the whole concept is about, What-iffing?

For the FG, you might even consider partial wireframes or such conveying that idea. You're coming down this magnificent spiral staircase to ...

I thought there was a procedural city scene in the LW content but not finding it. In any case, something that's visually "muted" as in isn't drawing attention away from the centerpiece would be my 2 cents.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Very nice work. Nice clean lighting!

Hi Nicolas

I think it can be a great portafolio image however there are few things I think need improvement (in my view). I am speaking here as an architect, not much for me to say bout the technicality of the rendering in this case. But I presume that with your portfolio you are trying to get some architects as clients so this might be helpful.

What I Like:

-The simple concept and the single vanishing point perspective approach.

-The spiral stair as the feature in the centre of the image.

-The proportions and size of the spiral stair.

-The nice sense of natural light

The image suggests an office lobby/reception, perhaps an office entrance with the reception desk where the point of view is (not visible). This suggests a high end (expensive) office space, because a cheap one wouldn't have such a feature stair. This office seems to be at the top of a tower (judging by the background). May be the top floor where the executive offices are. This is what the image tells me. (of course this is what I read but not perhaps what you intended).

This I think where things are not working well because all the other elements in the scene don't match the main message. (or what I read the main message is).

- The space looks a bit dated, it has a 80-90's air to it. This probably due to a combination of materials choices and some details like the moulding and the tall skirting at the top and bottom of the walls, also the multiple steps in the ceiling bulkhead.

- The furniture choice doesn't work and the furniture layout don't look right either. You would place the furniture like that on such a space.

- As an office entrance of that type it looks a bit plain.

If you could rethink the materiality and give a more contemporary more refined elegant look you could get a fantastic image out of it. It needs to be a bit more punchy
    a bit more exciting without overwhelming the image. It's a fine balance.

I suggest:

-Extend the windows (curtain wall) frame down to the floor with no skirting, you would see the bottom transom flush or very slightly above the floor level. That would give you a more panoramic effect. The background image as others have commented doesn't work, the perspective doesn't match your scene. I would suggest a more open image where you can see bits of a city behind and some sky. Perhaps some buildings close but not too close as to block the background. Morning or afternoon images tend to work better.

-Rethink the side walls finish, with something that'd give you more of a texture. Some full height vertical paneling perhaps. Or an array of vertical slats (timber may be?). Think of some lighting washing the walls, like spotlights or a long thin LED strip to create highlights, shadows etc.

-Rethink the layout of the furniture. This probably the most difficult part, cause the stair is in the centre. You could create a group of 4 stylish armchairs on the right hand side near the wall with a centre coffee table (more or less on an orthogonal arrangement against the wall. Or you could create an arrangement in the centre with perhaps 2 or 3 more organic looking armchairs (imagine an imaginary circle on the floor the same size of the stair above and try to place the furniture within that circle in a way that works with the composition. The tricky part here is to get good furniture models, either free or paid and texture them well.

-Rethink the floor materials. At the moment looks like 500*500mm ceramic tiles. You need something more elegant. Perhaps Large marble pieces if you want the glossy/reflective look. But you could considere also timber, for contrast with the white ceiling, or something without joints like a light coloured terrazzo. I like the textures you can get at Poliigon.com (no affiliation whatsoever) . Don't know what's your budget is but spending around 10-20 bucks in a couple of good high res textures may be good for the sake of your portfolio.

I've put together some examples in pinterest of reception spaces/furniture and materials which exemplify more or less what I am trying to say above. And for inspiration !. These images look more contemporary.

https://pin.it/55t6cclh3dleal

- Consider perhaps add a feature lighting element suspended in the stair void. As if suspended from the top floor ceiling and hanging. Something interesting to complement the stairs. (think of high end designer light fittings). Some examples here but there are many others:

https://www.atrium.ltd.uk/product-category/pendants/

- The model stair is good. I personally wouldn't use the "point fixing" (the bolts) as the glass can sit directly on the stringer. That would give you a cleaner look. See below a few examples I put together in pinterest. Some of the examples have a glass balustrade like yours. Look at the use of materials on floors and walls on the various examples.

https://pin.it/kd2hqcicp273cf

I hope this helps.
    Space Emotion - Architecture - www.space-emotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by luzlight View Post
    Hi Nicolas

I think it can be a great portafolio image however there are few things I think need improvement (in my view). I am speaking here as an architect, not much for me to say bout the technicality of the rendering in this case. But I presume that with your portfolio you are trying to get some architects as clients so this might be helpful.

What I Like:

-The simple concept and the single vanishing point perspective approach.

-The spiral stair as the feature in the centre of the image.

-The proportions and size of the spiral stair.

-The nice sense of natural light

The image suggests an office lobby/reception, perhaps an office entrance with the reception desk where the point of view is (not visible). This suggests a high end (expensive) office space, because a cheap one wouldn't have such a feature stair. This office seems to be at the top of a tower (judging by the background). May be the top floor where the executive offices are. This is what the image tells me. (of course this is what I read but not perhaps what you intended).

This I think where things are not working well because all the other elements in the scene don't match the main message. (or what I read the main message is).

- The space looks a bit dated, it has a 80-90's air to it. This probably due to a combination of materials choices and some details like the moulding and the tall skirting at the top and bottom of the walls, also the multiple steps in the ceiling bulkhead.

- The furniture choice doesn't work and the furniture layout don't look right either. You would place the furniture like that on such a space.

- As an office entrance of that type it looks a bit plain.

If you could rethink the materiality and give a more contemporary more refined elegant look you could get a fantastic image out of it. It needs to be a bit more punchy
    a bit more exciting without overwhelming the image. It's a fine balance.

I suggest:

-Extend the windows (curtain wall) frame down to the floor with no skirting, you would see the bottom transom flush or very slightly above the floor level. That would give you a more panoramic effect. The background image as others have commented doesn't work, the perspective doesn't match your scene. I would suggest a more open image where you can see bits of a city behind and some sky. Perhaps some buildings close but not too close as to block the background. Morning or afternoon images tend to work better.

-Rethink the side walls finish, with something that'd give you more of a texture. Some full height vertical paneling perhaps. Or an array of vertical slats (timber may be?). Think of some lighting washing the walls, like spotlights or a long thin LED strip to create highlights, shadows etc.

-Rethink the layout of the furniture. This probably the most difficult part, cause the stair is in the centre. You could create a group of 4 stylish armchairs on the right hand side near the wall with a centre coffee table (more or less on an orthogonal arrangement against the wall. Or you could create an arrangement in the centre with perhaps 2 or 3 more organic looking armchairs (imagine an imaginary circle on the floor the same size of the stair above and try to place the furniture within that circle in a way that works with the composition. The tricky part here is to get good furniture models, either free or paid and texture them well.

-Rethink the floor materials. At the moment looks like 500*500mm ceramic tiles. You need something more elegant. Perhaps Large marble pieces if you want the glossy/reflective look. But you could considere also timber, for contrast with the white ceiling, or something without joints like a light coloured terrazzo. I like the textures you can get at Poliigon.com (no affiliation whatsoever) . Don't know what's your budget is but spending around 10-20 bucks in a couple of good high res textures may be good for the sake of your portfolio.

I've put together some examples in pinterest of reception spaces/furniture and materials which exemplify more or less what I am trying to say above. And for inspiration !. These images look more contemporary.

https://pin.it/55t6cclh3dleal

- Consider perhaps add a feature lighting element suspended in the stair void. As if suspended from the top floor ceiling and hanging. Something interesting to complement the stairs. (think of high end designer light fittings). Some examples here but there are many others:

https://www.atrium.ltd.uk/product-category/pendants/

- The model stair is good. I personally wouldn't use the "point fixing" (the bolts) as the glass can sit directly on the stringer. That would give you a cleaner look. See below a few examples I put together in pinterest. Some of the examples have a glass balustrade like yours. Look at the use of materials on floors and walls on the various examples.

https://pin.it/kd2hqcicp273cf

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for taking the time to critique my rendering in detail and provide helpful ideas and suggestions. Design is something I don't have much experience with and I tend to struggle with it especially when trying working on a rendering for my portfolio so it is always great to here what an architect has to say. I'm working on revising this rendering based on the feedback I have received so hopefully it will end up being an improvement over the original. I hope to post an update soon.

Here's an update. I'm not totally sure if I'm on the right track with everything but I feel that at least some things have been improved. Let me know if you think this is an improvement over the original or not. I didn't crank the settings up on this one as much so there might be some grain in the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staircase_20.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	145120  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast