Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOF Noise

DOF Noise

Hi,

Got an issue with DOF. I'm not sure if it's sub pixel issues or something else. I can get it out of my render without DOF but not with it. I've tried increasing the light samples, camera samples, despike, denoise and various other brute force techniques. But nothing seems to work Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1400 dof noise.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	144843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1401 no dof.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	366.9 KB 
ID:	144846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1400 no dof.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	144845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1401 dof noise.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	335.8 KB 
ID:	144844

Any ideas? Thanks

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Thats a reflective surface, yes? Looks like that's where the noise comes from. Look at the raw RGB buffer, with dof on and turn up camera samples till thats satisfactorily smooth, then look at the spec buffer(s) with dof off and turn up reflection samples till thats acceptable. Also be sure to bring your recursions down as low as you can get away with.

There're a few things be aware of balancing cameras, lights, reflections, etc in the new renderer. you might find the tuts linked in the sig helpful to get yourself into optimal results territory.
    Last edited by RebelHill; 04-29-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Any chance you could post your render settings? Just wondering what your sampling settings are for:

Camera
    Reflection
    Adaptive Sampling Threshold

Looks to me like camera sampling issues, but it's difficult to tell. Also, reflection samples look like they're too low. For DoF, cam samples might need to be up to 64 or 128 to get rid of moderate noise. (Or even higher for lots of noise, or cleaner noise.)
    When using DoF though, as it requires lots of camera samples, it means you can potentially reduce other areas of sampling, like reflection/SSS/refraction etc.

Also, are you using an environment light? Or GI?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks everyone. Rebel Hill, I've got your tutorial and am working my way though it. Very helpful, but a lot of it uses environment lighting or HDR lighting. I'm not using GI as this is animated and am just using a studio'ish lighting set up. Here's some of the settings I've tried.

Camera tried Samples 1-8 , up to 1-32 and 3-32
    Tried :Adaptive Sampling Threshold .08 to .01 and also .03

Reflection 6
    Refraction 6
    Subsurface 2

2 Area lights

the one called area samples 16 up to 32
    the called side (which doesn’t hit the wall) 4 to 16

there’s also two spot lights in the scene which are excluded from everything except the eyes.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll give them a try.

HDR, enviro, regular lights... no difference, the renderer always works the same for all these types.

But trying these samples here, those there, shooting in the dark will get you nowhere (at least not fast)... check the "Sampling workflow" video... there's a straightforward workflow that works on every single scene, no matter the contents or lighting.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

"Camera tried Samples 1-8 , up to 1-32 and 3-32
    Tried :Adaptive Sampling Threshold .08 to .01 and also .03"

Had DOF problems recently, took MIN SAMPLES up to 64 (which overrode the max samples which i left at 9) this worked better than light or reflection samples tinkering at canceling out noise, enviro light is not same as other lights as its calling on the BG or whatever HDR you have loaded and it is more affected by radiosity and prone to noise

Well, I thought I had gotten it. But no. Here's the settings I tried and it's better but still there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render Settings.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	144851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera Settings.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	144852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Area Light Settings.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	144853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side Light (Area) Settings.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	144854Shot 07 Render Test 01.mov

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    "Camera tried Samples 1-8 , up to 1-32 and 3-32
    Tried :Adaptive Sampling Threshold .08 to .01 and also .03"

Had DOF problems recently, took MIN SAMPLES up to 64 (which overrode the max samples which i left at 9) this worked better than light or reflection samples tinkering at canceling out noise, enviro light is not same as other lights as its calling on the BG or whatever HDR you have loaded and it is more affected by radiosity and prone to noise
    Thanks, I'll ry it. But I'm not using GI or envio lighting. Just two area lights and two spots only on the eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    HDR, enviro, regular lights... no difference, the renderer always works the same for all these types.

But trying these samples here, those there, shooting in the dark will get you nowhere (at least not fast)... check the "Sampling workflow" video... there's a straightforward workflow that works on every single scene, no matter the contents or lighting.
    Thanks, I'll go look for it. I know it's on one of drives here somewhere, hmmm

Found it. Watching now.

OK, the video helped and I was able to get my render time from 6m to 1.5m with the same quality. But still have the same problem. It's in the Specular Direct buffer is where I see the issue. The alpha and depth buffers are all white and the reflection buffer is all black. I'm down to just one area light lighting the scene and am slowly increasing the samples. Thanks again.

No worries... in which case it's mostly gonna be your reflection samples that you want to turn up... for ease, do it without DOF enabled, so you can see just the results of the spec noise, then back on, and up camera samples if noise returns after adding the DOF. And yes... in my vid I show the alpha buffer as an "easy view" for checking the DOF noise, obvs in your scene, the whole screen is occupied, so you can use the RGB, raw colour buffer instead in the same way.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Oh, btw... I notice in your screenshots that your lights arent visible to camera... so what's being reflected in the shiny surfaces? Are you by any chance using luminous geo, because if so... don't. Lose it, and make lights visible.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Yes, I fopund that some of the geo was luminous. It came in that way and I didn't catch it. However there might be some others. I didn't realize that I should make the lights visible to camera. Thanks

You make the lights visible to make them appear in reflections too, rather than using lum geo standins like old days. The old days way will make things sad.

See vids 22 and 35 for more details.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

will do, thanks again.

Got it looking good with no DOF. But still having fun with DOF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast