Thread: 460 - SSD for system drive recomendations

460 - SSD for system drive recomendations

We have Tricaster 460 AE2 and a Tricaster 455 upgradred to 460 AE2. Considering upgrading the systems drives to SSDs. Any recommendations of SSDs to use? What's your favorite brand/model, etc?

NewTek uses Samsung in new machines.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Yeah, TC1 uses 250GB Samsung 860 Evo for system drive.
    I upgraded our 460 to 500 GB 860 Evo as it has only one additional HDD (while TC1 has two) and 1TB is not necessary in our use case. It would however make the transition easier - you could use the built-in backup instead of third party sw that can shrink the partitions. I mounted it on some 3,5" adapter i dug up and works like a charm so far
    860 series uses MLC cells instead of TLC on newer evo series, which should theoretically give it a better lifespan.

Bartolomeo,
    Thanks for you input. Prior to seeing your response, I contacted Newtek and was told that changing the hard drive type is not recommended and they would not support. I asked why and was got this response: "Due to software requirments, an SSD will not work properly and can cause further issues."

This has me confused. Why would an SSD cause further issues?

It shouldn't...my guess would be that they are cautious, as it's not as simple due to GRUB bootloader and if you don't do it properly with right software, you would lose restore function. Most software I tried indeed ignored the the recovery partition and/or didn't allow me to resize D: partition.
    Or they are may be refering to limited SSD support in W7 (it's much better in later version). That said, our retailer - when I asked him about upgrading - told me that they did it occasionally (when customers HDD died and they provided support etc.) AND later versions of 460 shipped with SSD already (though he wasn't totally sure about that).
    Anyway, I just keep the HDD if anything happens or doesn't work. And it's out of warranty for a long time anyway

Thanks again for the info. I chose to just replace the mechanical drives with new mechanical drives.