Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: David Ridlen post on why NT marketing & communication needs improvement....Will it?

Luckily when I was first cutting my teeth on Lightwave the community had a reputation for being really helpful and welcoming. The likes of Spline God (RIP) really made this forum a healthy and happy place. You obviously had one or two weirdos....What was the name of that guy who criticised anyone and everyone but had a cracking eye for anatomy...(user name removed by moderator for reasons that probably require no explanation) Ha we all know what happened to him.

Anyhow, I fear any new comers are probably overwhelmed by the turmoil that the LW community finds itself. We need stability and to inspire and be inspired.

The lwiki Facebook group has had its drama moments, but when things get out of hand, we do cull posts. The usual crybullies whine about free speech, but a curated forum just makes for a much better positive experience where theres just help, support, fun banter and a friendly atmosphere. I'm just tired and drained by all the bitter old vultures that circle round, pour criticism on any positive news, sour everything and have to be batted away.

Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    Luckily when I was first cutting my teeth on Lightwave the community had a reputation for being really helpful and welcoming. The likes of Spline God (RIP) really made this forum a healthy and happy place. You obviously had one or two weirdos....What was the name of that guy who criticised anyone and everyone but had a cracking eye for anatomy...(user name removed by moderator for reasons that probably require no explanation) Ha we all know what happened to him.

Anyhow, I fear any new comers are probably overwhelmed by the turmoil that the LW community finds itself. We need stability and to inspire and be inspired.
    I could fit the bill of the second weirdo, but generally I am a nice weirdo.... I think.
    Ericals is a third one..in a good way of course ...just imagine how much he covers with youtube vids on plugins and small workaround tricks.

hey Thanks! 

and not to forget...

+ Craig, Wolf, Cageman, Larry, Mike, ADK, Bryphi, Carm, DPont, Gerardo, Greenlaw, James Busby, "Kat, Lee Perry, ChrisJ, Jarrod, Jason, Jennifer, Kurt, Lewis, Lino, Powers, Matt, "MIS, ReneFalk, "Mr Rid, Ryan, MarkW, Tobian, William, Thornton, "Prometheus, "xswampyx, DW-Burman, "Pooby,
    (people at Lightwiki, Dave school, LA-LW usergroup, LWpluginDB)

and many-many more, i could go on and on...
    Last edited by erikals; 05-02-2019 at 08:42 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

markw about to join bryphi, chris jones, louis du mont. lwg, *** in gear yet?

“This should have been enjoyable (bits of it were) but turned into a frustrating exercise in bug workarounds. Whoever is managing the QC people of the Mac builds (assuming there is a Mac QC department) needs to put a rock up their asses! It’s a mess and just pushing me elsewhere. Really annoyed (going for a lie down)....”

https://m.facebook.com/groups/147771...composer=false

i am of the opinion that if lwg don’t start taking things very seriously and engaging with those that have left plus others that “moan”, addressing the issues presented then it’s time to start thinking about new employment, cos i don’t see how lw is going to survive with the attrition rate.
    apologies for the negativity but you gotta be cruel to be kind sometimes and i would like lw to continue to be around and use it.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 05-10-2019 at 07:41 PM.

as for Mac QC, can't comment

but making LightWave catch up will take time.

it is best to try other apps too, see if they can be of use here and there. (i do, and they are of use, just like LW)

is the wait worth it? who knows, so do what i do... app1/app2

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    as for Mac QC, can't comment
    I can, in a way; until LW 2018 the only version of Lightwave available was LW 2015. I used it on every 3D production for years, including AR/MR/VR experiences and heavily customised rendering setups (a few of which I've shared in the past!). In 2018 a MacOS update broke the LW interface (all LW versions). What did NewTek do? They didn't even address it until users complained...months after developers were given access to the MacOS builds, which NewTek had apparently been ignoring.

Of course, I can't comment on LW 2018 or LW 2019 QC because I haven't upgraded. How could I? Up until 2018, every production was built using the old render engine. And in less than 12 months NewTek went from selling LW 2015 to removing rendering support for all LW 2015 projects and deciding not to release a patch for LW 2015 to work in the current OS. Unless you keep an old Mac and prevent any system updates...you're out of luck when it comes to continuing/revisiting projects started before LW 2018.

Eventually support for old versions has to cease. Naturally! Adobe doesn't add 2019 camera models to Photoshop CS6, which is quite a few years older. Of course you can still work with CS6 projects in CC2019, so it doesn't matter in the same way.

In the case of NewTek, in less than a year they ended support for Mac users who had been using the software on productions for the past 10 years. That's untenable behaviour in a professional setting, and we've had to move to other platforms. NewTek has shown a certain amount of what some might call "contempt" for professional Mac users, and we all eventually reach our breaking point. (admittedly, Apple has been doing that too! )
    Last edited by Iaian7; 05-11-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - lightwave tutorials

To be absolutely clear: this has broken my heart. I've used Lightwave professionally (and for fun!) since about 2004. Amidst others' complaints about antiquated modelling paradigms or whatever...LightWave had always been the central toolset in countless 3D productions, and I loved it.
    John Einselen

what did you switch to?

i'm sad to hear that  

the programmers did have lots of work on their hands, maybe not an excuse, but an explanation.

NT is going through some rocky terrain, but i hope and believe the worst part is over.

we'll see. hopefully Application X works out, even though all apps eventually have their Achilles heel.

l  l
    l  l
    l  l___
    l_____\

@Gar26lw - Using Modo at my office now for modelling, eventually switching some of our Cinema 4D work over to Modo as well (specifically realtime asset creation, where C4D has let us down on previous projects). Animation is currently being done in Cinema 4D, using Redshift or Octane to render (I've barely been involved on the pre-rendered side of things for the past half year!). We've been looking into Houdini as well, but haven't required that level of functionality on our projects just yet. No idea what I'll be using for personal projects. I still have Lightwave 2015 installed, of course, I just don't want to keep using a pipeline I can't depend on long-term. As soon as my Mac at home is updated to the latest OS, Lightwave is going to be dead...and since NewTek canceled my old-timer upgrade path, can't say I want to spent $600 on hobby software that can't render my existing projects.

@Erikals - I hope you're right. And yes, all apps have their Achilles heel...or heels! Oh how I loathe Modo's texturing and surfacing setup. Haha. Weird surface effects that could have taken 10 minutes in LW 2015's node editor are frustratingly tricky (maybe impossible) in Modo, and the simplest things result in silly amounts of project complexity. At least my current projects are realtime, so my surfacing work is all in Unity (thank goodness for nodal shader editors, I get to do so much cool stuff for AR/MR/VR!)...and I've already made use of Modo's group and global shading capabilities on several occasions, so it's not all bad. I'll eventually learn to tolerate Modo's materials, maybe even like it in some circumstances, but I'm sure I'll miss Lightwave's old node editor for quite a while. It was a nice blend of both simple and incredibly hackable.

I do hope Lightwave makes a come back. But in the years to come, if I'm somehow convinced the leadership isn't going to destroy an entire segment of the app and then refuse to support existing productions...I suspect studios (and CFOs) are going to be even harder to convince.
    John Einselen

there will be a change, for better or worse, especially now that Vizrt is in charge.

i'm Very curious to what they will do, So far, pretty quiet.

So you are saying LW 2015 no longer works in the latest OSX? I have a friend who is currently using it, but I'm not sure if his OS is up to date. I may have to warn him not to update if this is true. What is the issue exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    What is the issue exactly?
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...otfix-Released

All icons are blacked out. With Lightwave's text-heavy interface, I could manage in an emergency...but it's not what I'd call a usable app.

And a major correction to what I said previously: NewTek released a patch for LW 2018 within 2 days of users reporting issues after the public release of MacOS Mojave, which is significantly better than the month I thought it was delayed. I apologise for the misinformation! Downside being, it was only about 9 months from when they were selling LW 2015 to cutting off backwards compatibility and deciding LW 2015 was no longer supported (unusable for any Mac users running new hardware or an updated OS).
    John Einselen

i had this in the past with old graphics card drivers, and perhaps also an AMD card. might be worth a shot.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast