Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: David Ridlen post on why NT marketing & communication needs improvement....Will it?

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    So, all I said is basically 'Let's not fault the devs'. Some might wish to use that as a springboard, but I don't think many here actually disagree with my point.
    And I agree with that 100%, if that wasn't clear. However, I also definitely believe Newtek could do much better at providing escalation paths for customer issues.

Sure, upper mgmt is ultimately responsible, no question. That's not really a useful solution for customers who are having problems being heard, though. Most other companies at least provide explicit "Director/Head of Customer Support" position to contact, etc. for escalation, as someone who's job it is to definitely respond and interact with customers who feel their CS interactions weren't adequate (or in cases where blind CS sendings aren't appropriate). I think that'd probably represent a good starting point for Newtek too (w.r.t. Lightwave). Obviously, that person needs to be able to speak authoritatively regarding Lightwave, as well.

As it stands, the problem is that there's just isn't anyone (beyond a blind CS mailbox) customers can rely on to interact with them when they feel their issues aren't being heard, and it shouldn't be the least bit surprising in such a situation that frustration eventually takes over for many.
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-28-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by PetGerbil View Post
    Luckily dictionary dot com had a few suggestions.
    and I thought you were channeling George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Most other companies at least provide explicit "Director/Head of Customer Support" position to contact, etc. for escalation, as someone who's job it is to definitely respond and interact with customers who feel their CS interactions weren't adequate (or in cases where blind CS sendings aren't appropriate).
    Well, I'll view this as a practical suggestion, and just mention that it's been my impression that Deuce's efforts at lending a personal touch to support inquiries has been pretty well received. Beyond that, I'm sure Chuck is willing to lend an ear when that seems to fall short for whatever reason. Worth remembering, I think, though, that for the present at least you're dealing with a smallish LW staff.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

yeah, Deuce does a great job

I think what NewTek did last year, with a survey asking about the features that users wanted, was a GREAT move.

It gave us a way to direct LW's future, and in every way it made LightWave 2019 a great release.
    Smoothing Groups is a brilliant addition (yes, I know there are arguments against this as it took so long to get... but we have it now, and it's very useful.)

My point being, that the survey really gave users a kind of ownership and would be nice to get them more frequently, if that's possible?

For instance, how about a survey for "Annoying little things" type problems? The death of a thousand cuts type bugs.
    Autodesk has a specific bug report for "annoying little things" they fix many of them for the next release.

If these could be compiled, and then the most annoying ones voted for to fix first, it would be a nice way to involve the community and for us users to get more ownership in the process. (Yes, we don't own them... but it's nice to get customers feeling like they're guiding the development).
    More and more developers are really utilising their communities to drive development. Allegorithmic and UE4 are great examples... they really listen. It can feel a bit strange that LW doesn't so much.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

it would be nice to see all bugs too, to avoid duplicates and upvote a bug instead

Autodesk has a specific bug report for "annoying little things"
    a start >
    http://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/t-139159
    though doesn't include Layout "gotchas"
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    ...If these could be compiled, and then the most annoying ones voted for to fix first, it would be a nice way to involve the community...
    A company would fear that this is a good way to advertise the faults of a product (of course, fears != reality). However, even if NT does not want to have an open reporting system, they can look at their competitors that do, and get a better understanding of development priorities. The market is not really that much of a mystery.

This kind of product really needs engineered development for the community. There's an excellent example as a "cloud" for an unmentionable 3D app.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    ... , but what is missing is a liason between the users and the devs. ...
    Blender is tested and refined during in-house productions.
    I think this method is very effective to streamline a product as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    Blender is tested and refined during in-house productions.
    I think this method is very effective to streamline a product as fast as possible.
    I have been advocating for this for years.
    I would suggest for NT should welcome outside talent to develop mini less than a minute shorts to eat out new features and see gaps.
    Hell even try some outside the box thinking.
    Get a pro cinematographer to test out"virtual camera rigs" that behave like cameras. And test it with a 1 minute short "Photo safari"

Get a pro animator to try out new timeline tools...try doing a 1 minute short... etc etc

It can be done.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    I think what NewTek did last year, with a survey asking about the features that users wanted, was a GREAT move.

It gave us a way to direct LW's future, and in every way it made LightWave 2019 a great release.
    Smoothing Groups is a brilliant addition (yes, I know there are arguments against this as it took so long to get... but we have it now, and it's very useful.)

My point being, that the survey really gave users a kind of ownership and would be nice to get them more frequently, if that's possible?

For instance, how about a survey for "Annoying little things" type problems? The death of a thousand cuts type bugs.
    Autodesk has a specific bug report for "annoying little things" they fix many of them for the next release.

If these could be compiled, and then the most annoying ones voted for to fix first, it would be a nice way to involve the community and for us users to get more ownership in the process. (Yes, we don't own them... but it's nice to get customers feeling like they're guiding the development).
    More and more developers are really utilising their communities to drive development. Allegorithmic and UE4 are great examples... they really listen. It can feel a bit strange that LW doesn't so much.
    I've made the suggestion before on these forums about using those "Small annoying things" and "Feature Requests" scale things just as the Maya team did and which I think worked so successfully for them. The key attributes of those things were:

1 - You had total visibility into what other people were suggesting, and could place your own suggestions
    2 - You got to vote on these, but only had a limited number of votes to place. Thus forcing the user to self-prioritize which things matter to them the most. You could place multiple votes on a single item, even all of your votes, if it was that important to you.
    3 - You could see the rankings of the items, to understand what was getting traction and what wasn't
    4 - There was a formal process where a representative of the dev team would review each item, and would ask for clarification if the intend wasn't clear. That communication was right there in public view.
    5 - When the dev team decided to formally discuss an item, they would mark it "Under review".
    6 - If the item actually made it onto the real play list, it would be marked as such as well. TBA for sure, but you at least knew *something* was happening.

If an item you voted on was "resolved" (rejected or finished) you would get your votes back.

When we send in a bug report that turns out to be more of a feature request, or a full blown feature request to LW, that's pretty much the end of that story until/unless something resembling that request appears in a future release.
    That Maya team approach just seems so much more engaging, visible, and collaborative.

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    I've made the suggestion before on these forums about using those "Small annoying things" and "Feature Requests" scale things just as the Maya team did and which I think worked so successfully for them. The key attributes of those things were:

1 - You had total visibility into what other people were suggesting, and could place your own suggestions
    2 - You got to vote on these, but only had a limited number of votes to place. Thus forcing the user to self-prioritize which things matter to them the most. You could place multiple votes on a single item, even all of your votes, if it was that important to you.
    3 - You could see the rankings of the items, to understand what was getting traction and what wasn't
    4 - There was a formal process where a representative of the dev team would review each item, and would ask for clarification if the intend wasn't clear. That communication was right there in public view.
    5 - When the dev team decided to formally discuss an item, they would mark it "Under review".
    6 - If the item actually made it onto the real play list, it would be marked as such as well. TBA for sure, but you at least knew *something* was happening.

If an item you voted on was "resolved" (rejected or finished) you would get your votes back.

When we send in a bug report that turns out to be more of a feature request, or a full blown feature request to LW, that's pretty much the end of that story until/unless something resembling that request appears in a future release.
    That Maya team approach just seems so much more engaging, visible, and collaborative.
    This is a great idea.

But it would need coordination between the forum team and a designated spokesman from the dev staff.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    This is a great idea.

But it would need coordination between the forum team and a designated spokesman from the dev staff.

Bump +1,000% indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    This is a great idea.

And just add some legalese that the dev team is in NO OBLIGATION to implement the requested features. NT trust me this is a win win.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    And will they pay any more attention to this than they have previously? I'm not holding my breath...
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast