Thread: Deadline - A CGI car action shortfilm VFX Car Chase

Deadline - A CGI car action shortfilm VFX Car Chase

Very special thanks to Juan Antonio Bernal and Eduard Farelo for their collaboration on this shortfilm!!
    A man must steal a mysterious object from a corporation.
    He will have to escape from the security team of the corporation and from the police, on a high speed car chase.
    Amateur shortfilm created as a final work for a Lightwave 3D training course.

Any info on where this training course was done and whos the guy behind this amazing lightwave project from the year 2010 ?

Sweet Rides!

Would be interesting to see any behind the scenes on this.
    3D Artist http://www.mike3d.com
    Fine Art Portfolio http://www.macb.ca

Lightwave needs more in depth how to from start to finish on this type of scale projects ... having a 1000 videos on YT is nice but I like to have a samurai blade to cut through that list ... jus saying

Nice! in all the action I forgot I was seeing polygons!

hey, search and thy shal faind...

https://jrodfx.wordpress.com/page/3
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Awesome work!
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

nice @ erikals ....

Whoa, so many years since I did this...
    Thanks for the revive!

That's cool. And so much safer than using real cars. It is nice to see the LW logo in the credits.

SpawnSP this is a masterpiece ...... are we going to see a behind the scenes overview on how you set all this up in lightwave animation, lighting, workflows effects etc
    ( there is nothing like this on the interwebs for lw users ) like a complete guide start to finish.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Oh yes there is... see the sig.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by 3dhotshot View Post
    SpawnSP this is a masterpiece ...... are we going to see a behind the scenes overview on how you set all this up in lightwave animation, lighting, workflows effects etc
    ( there is nothing like this on the interwebs for lw users ) like a complete guide start to finish.
    Well, I still have all sources of the project, but making a compilation of them as a resume or highlight reel would be too much work for me right now. However, you can ask for specific questions of it and I can try to answer them

There is nothing really complex on this project. Basic keyframe animation, radiosity turned on on all shots, and (this was for me the most important aspect) lighting and cameras simulating how I would shot on real cameras and sets. For example, I wouldn't put a camera on a place where it wouldn't fit on the set (including the cameraman if one would be needed), and also analyzed the photographic and mechanical aspects needed on every shot (if the camera has to be mounted on a car following the main cars, and the speed is high, then I have to add vibration, more of it if also the focal length of the camera is high).

The only real technical difficulty that I had (and it was a real pain) was the physics simulations of car crashes. Those were calculated on 3dsmax using a plugin, and then the motion was imported back to lightwave. I used FBX for data interchange and there wasn't one single shot that worked on the first try.

Wow thats interesting to know, If you ever plan to release the source files let me know even if its on a pay site .... its really worth the gold i think ^^

the setting is very close to the matrix car chase scene in terms of lighting and quality animation etc.

This is really great work. I had never seen this. Very inspiring. Shows how good the old renderer could look, when the artist knows what they are doing. What might be more important than how this was achieved, is how would you get this look in the new render without all kinds of grain and hot pixles (especially for the interior bits)? Anyhow, top quality work, especially for a one man team.